Apr 27, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT
Some big off-ice developments emerging this evening, as Dallas appears ready to part ways with general manager Joe Nieuwendyk.
According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Nieuwendyk will be relieved of his duties and replaced by Detroit Red Wings assistant GM Jim Nill.
Nieuwendyk, 46, was named Stars GM in 2009 and oversaw a stretch in which Dallas has failed to make the playoffs in four straight seasons.
Neal has gone on to become one of the NHL’s elite wingers and scored a career-high 40 goals last year.
Nieuwendyk also traded longtime Star Brenden Morrow, and was largely responsible for not offering franchise legend Mike Modano a contract extension after the 2009-10 season (Modano went on to play the final year of his career in Detroit).
In Nill, the Stars get a veteran front office man who has worked alongside Wings GM Ken Holland since the mid-90s. He was part of four Stanley Cup winners in Detroit and has been mentioned as a candidate for a number of vacant GM jobs over the last few years.
Ansar Khan of MLive.com notes that Nill was offered the Montreal Canadaiens’ GM job last summer, but turned it down for family reasons.
Dreger also notes there’s been no decision made about head coach Glen Gulutzan’s future with the club.
In an odd twist, Dallas and Detroit are squaring off tonight in a huge game for the Wings’ playoff fate. If Detroit gets at least one point, it clinches a postseason berth.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Oct 1, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
He may begin 2014-15 banged up.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
“The next few days will be the turning point,” GM Jim Rutherford said.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
The early word is that he’s OK, though.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
It’s not as foolish as it sounds … maybe.
Oct 1, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Worth a try.
Oct 1, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
According to fellow Swede and Red Wings forward Henrik Zetterberg.
Oct 1, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
One last chance for a tune-up.
Oct 1, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Where he’ll resume coaching duties for KHL Lokomotiv.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
Didn’t take advantage of their opportunities.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Sounds like both will start the season at center.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
Off to AHL Lake Erie they go.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
“We have not been in contact with the IOC and they have not been in touch with us.”
Oct 1, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
Meaning all of Columbus’ No. 1 line — Jenner, Ryan Johansen and Nathan Horton — is now out of action.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
He won’t be ready for the season opener.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Both have one-year, two-way contracts.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
And Zack Stortini has been placed on waivers.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
“You can tell a guy ‘don’t dive’, but even on our team we’ve seen a few of them.”
Oct 1, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Another veteran d-man, Nolan Yonkman, was also released.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
“But we’ve talked and we’ll continue to talk about it.”
Oct 1, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
A rookie head coach, some significant roster turnover and the annual questions in goal.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)