Apr 27, 2013, 7:10 PM EST
Some big off-ice developments emerging this evening, as Dallas appears ready to part ways with general manager Joe Nieuwendyk.
According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Nieuwendyk will be relieved of his duties and replaced by Detroit Red Wings assistant GM Jim Nill.
Nieuwendyk, 46, was named Stars GM in 2009 and oversaw a stretch in which Dallas has failed to make the playoffs in four straight seasons.
Neal has gone on to become one of the NHL’s elite wingers and scored a career-high 40 goals last year.
Nieuwendyk also traded longtime Star Brenden Morrow, and was largely responsible for not offering franchise legend Mike Modano a contract extension after the 2009-10 season (Modano went on to play the final year of his career in Detroit).
In Nill, the Stars get a veteran front office man who has worked alongside Wings GM Ken Holland since the mid-90s. He was part of four Stanley Cup winners in Detroit and has been mentioned as a candidate for a number of vacant GM jobs over the last few years.
Ansar Khan of MLive.com notes that Nill was offered the Montreal Canadaiens’ GM job last summer, but turned it down for family reasons.
Dreger also notes there’s been no decision made about head coach Glen Gulutzan’s future with the club.
In an odd twist, Dallas and Detroit are squaring off tonight in a huge game for the Wings’ playoff fate. If Detroit gets at least one point, it clinches a postseason berth.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Dec 13, 2013, 2:02 AM EST
All three San Jose goals came on the power play.
Dec 13, 2013, 1:30 AM EST
But they snapped that 10-game losing streak the other day.
Dec 13, 2013, 1:03 AM EST
His inconsistent season continues.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:36 AM EST
Quite the funk they’re in when it comes to this aspect.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:17 AM EST
Bet these guys were tired after.
Dec 12, 2013, 11:57 PM EST
What a day in Calgary. More Brian Burke!
Dec 12, 2013, 11:34 PM EST
Yeah, these are tough times.
Dec 12, 2013, 11:10 PM EST
Didn’t think too highly of it.
Dec 12, 2013, 10:45 PM EST
But two points eluded them.
Dec 12, 2013, 10:23 PM EST
Dec 12, 2013, 10:06 PM EST
And it’s getting worse in New York.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:17 PM EST
Nice moment in Philly.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
Montreal defenseman’s night ends early.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:52 PM EST
Jonathan Bernier takes over.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:15 PM EST
Tough time to be a Columbus goalie.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:39 PM EST
Cam Talbot was cheered upon entering the game.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:10 PM EST
No word on the severity of TT’s injury.
Dec 12, 2013, 6:27 PM EST
He’s been out with a lower-body injury.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:17 PM EST
Oilers coach wants to use “speed” and “smarts” tonight.
Dec 12, 2013, 4:40 PM EST
Oh, and Anders Nilsson sent back to AHL.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)