Apr 27, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT
Some big off-ice developments emerging this evening, as Dallas appears ready to part ways with general manager Joe Nieuwendyk.
According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Nieuwendyk will be relieved of his duties and replaced by Detroit Red Wings assistant GM Jim Nill.
Nieuwendyk, 46, was named Stars GM in 2009 and oversaw a stretch in which Dallas has failed to make the playoffs in four straight seasons.
Neal has gone on to become one of the NHL’s elite wingers and scored a career-high 40 goals last year.
Nieuwendyk also traded longtime Star Brenden Morrow, and was largely responsible for not offering franchise legend Mike Modano a contract extension after the 2009-10 season (Modano went on to play the final year of his career in Detroit).
In Nill, the Stars get a veteran front office man who has worked alongside Wings GM Ken Holland since the mid-90s. He was part of four Stanley Cup winners in Detroit and has been mentioned as a candidate for a number of vacant GM jobs over the last few years.
Ansar Khan of MLive.com notes that Nill was offered the Montreal Canadaiens’ GM job last summer, but turned it down for family reasons.
Dreger also notes there’s been no decision made about head coach Glen Gulutzan’s future with the club.
In an odd twist, Dallas and Detroit are squaring off tonight in a huge game for the Wings’ playoff fate. If Detroit gets at least one point, it clinches a postseason berth.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Jul 29, 2014, 10:02 PM EDT
From 64 (mercurial) to 10 (gritty!)
Jul 29, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
Now battling Bon Jovi and Donald Trump!
Jul 29, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
“This has been a difficult decision for Kevin.”
Jul 29, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
After a year away from the game.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
Pretty nice pay bump for the 24-year-old rearguard.
Jul 29, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
6-foot-8, 250-pounder was a first-round pick in 2005.
Jul 29, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Hall of Famer will work as an assistant under Ted Nolan.
Jul 29, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT
Fare thee well, Sammi.
Jul 29, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT
Low-risk signing, with good potential upside.
Jul 29, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
“When you do have a little more responsibility, you want to take your lunch pail and get ready to work.”
Jul 29, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
Had 13 goals and eight assists in 2013-14, his rookie season in the NHL.
Jul 29, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT
IIHF Disciplinary Board levies punishment for “very forceful check.”
Jul 29, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Was traded from Toronto on July 1.
Jul 29, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
New Caps coach wants “people who are really good at distributing the puck and making things happen from the middle of the ice.”
Jul 29, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
Had 11 goals and seven assists in 53 games last season.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Expected to be healthy for training camp.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
Can become an unrestricted free agent next summer now.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They won the Stanley Cup together in Tampa Bay.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Jul 28, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Both were part of Dallas’ 1999 championship.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 8
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 8
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 25
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 40
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (40)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)