Apr 27, 2013, 7:10 PM EST
Some big off-ice developments emerging this evening, as Dallas appears ready to part ways with general manager Joe Nieuwendyk.
According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Nieuwendyk will be relieved of his duties and replaced by Detroit Red Wings assistant GM Jim Nill.
Nieuwendyk, 46, was named Stars GM in 2009 and oversaw a stretch in which Dallas has failed to make the playoffs in four straight seasons.
Neal has gone on to become one of the NHL’s elite wingers and scored a career-high 40 goals last year.
Nieuwendyk also traded longtime Star Brenden Morrow, and was largely responsible for not offering franchise legend Mike Modano a contract extension after the 2009-10 season (Modano went on to play the final year of his career in Detroit).
In Nill, the Stars get a veteran front office man who has worked alongside Wings GM Ken Holland since the mid-90s. He was part of four Stanley Cup winners in Detroit and has been mentioned as a candidate for a number of vacant GM jobs over the last few years.
Ansar Khan of MLive.com notes that Nill was offered the Montreal Canadaiens’ GM job last summer, but turned it down for family reasons.
Dreger also notes there’s been no decision made about head coach Glen Gulutzan’s future with the club.
In an odd twist, Dallas and Detroit are squaring off tonight in a huge game for the Wings’ playoff fate. If Detroit gets at least one point, it clinches a postseason berth.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Jan 28, 2015, 3:02 PM EST
The Los Angeles Kings are bad at the shootout, and the Buffalo Sabres are good at it.
Jan 28, 2015, 2:15 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Jan 28, 2015, 1:51 PM EST
An incident against Philly on Jan. 19 was the straw that broke the camel’s back.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:39 PM EST
Chris Stewart remains a member of the worst team in the NHL.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:39 PM EST
“We’re not giving up on him at all.”
Jan 28, 2015, 1:16 PM EST
Someone check the water in Columbus.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:11 PM EST
“That was a team with tremendous character, with great coaches, great players and quality individuals. “
Jan 28, 2015, 12:51 PM EST
Habs’ d-man was tossed from Tuesday night’s game.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:52 AM EST
“It shouldn’t be a part of hockey,” said Canucks captain Henrik Sedin.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:51 AM EST
Could be bad news. Could be good. All depends who you cheer for.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:33 AM EST
Boston d-man has struggled this season, but could be on the move by Mar. 2.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:17 AM EST
Los Angeles is currently out of the West’s top eight.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:16 AM EST
“Show up to your job, and you’re off suspension.”
Jan 28, 2015, 11:08 AM EST
Jim Rutherford, really working the phones.
Jan 28, 2015, 10:36 AM EST
“I got nothing left here.”
Jan 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EST
Both teams played last night.
Jan 28, 2015, 8:46 AM EST
Wednesday’s links lean toward a legend.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:45 AM EST
Vancouver has now been shutout in back-to-back home games.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:00 AM EST
Pittsburgh was without Crosby and Malkin.
Jan 28, 2015, 12:15 AM EST
He’s going to need some dental work.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 13
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 19
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 17
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)