Apr 27, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
It’s been nearly a year since Jordan Staal was traded by the Pittsburgh Penguins to Carolina. Last summer’s draft saw the blockbuster deal that sent Staal to the Hurricanes to play alongside his brother, Eric Staal, and free him from the shadow of Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby.
Tonight he plays his first game back in Pittsburgh where it’s expected he’ll receive a warm welcome from the fans. Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer shares the story.
“It’s exciting to be back,” Staal said after Saturday’s morning skate. “Obviously I wish we were in a better situation and it being a bigger game than it is. It’s still very exciting for myself just to come in this building and be able to play against my ex-teammates.”
Neither team has much to play for. Carolina is out of the playoffs and will be involved in Monday’s draft lottery while the Penguins are locked in as the No. 1 seed in the Eastern Conference. Jordan just has to hope Brandon Sutter doesn’t brag to him too much about how nice things are on a Cup contender.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)