Apr 27, 2013, 11:37 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues locked up the fourth seed (and at least one round of home ice advantage) on Saturday, but some couldn’t help but wonder: who’s going to start in net once the postseason begins?
“He’s our goalie right now,” Hitchcock said. “He’s the guy we’re going to go with.”
The Blues faced an unusual set of circumstances last postseason, as both Elliott and Jaroslav Halak were sidelined with ailments. Hitchcock believes that Elliott, 28, was strong in the 2012 playoffs before an ear infection sent things off the rails.
“He was very good when Jaro got hurt in the playoffs and then he had the inner ear infection and didn’t really play up to par,” Hitchcock said.
With Halak and Jake Allen waiting in the wings and a tough matchup in either the San Jose Sharks and Los Angeles Kings in order, Elliott knows he needs to avoid a sub-par outing.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)