Apr 27, 2013, 8:56 PM EST
Has Patrik Elias played in his last game with the New Jersey Devils?
The 37-year-old has spent his entire NHL career with the Devils, but he’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer. After the contest he was asked if he’d like to re-sign with the Devils.
“I hope so,” Elias said, according to the Devils’ website.
He didn’t want to make a commitment though.
“I’m ready for anything,” he said. “We’ll see what happens. Sometimes the negotiations are not as easy as it seems.”
The Devils lost a key forward last summer when Zach Parise signed with the Minnesota Wild. Elias is a different case though. At his age, the loss might be less devastating in some ways, but in others it has the potential to hurt the team and fanbase more.
Elias is the franchise’s all-time leader in goals and assists. He also ranks third in Devils’ history with 1,089 games played. To see him wear another jersey after all that time would be surreal, but there will be plenty of teams interested in adding an experienced and still capable top-six forward like Elias if he hits the open market.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 35
- Mike Richards clears waivers 31
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 55
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)