Apr 27, 2013, 8:56 PM EST
Has Patrik Elias played in his last game with the New Jersey Devils?
The 37-year-old has spent his entire NHL career with the Devils, but he’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer. After the contest he was asked if he’d like to re-sign with the Devils.
“I hope so,” Elias said, according to the Devils’ website.
He didn’t want to make a commitment though.
“I’m ready for anything,” he said. “We’ll see what happens. Sometimes the negotiations are not as easy as it seems.”
The Devils lost a key forward last summer when Zach Parise signed with the Minnesota Wild. Elias is a different case though. At his age, the loss might be less devastating in some ways, but in others it has the potential to hurt the team and fanbase more.
Elias is the franchise’s all-time leader in goals and assists. He also ranks third in Devils’ history with 1,089 games played. To see him wear another jersey after all that time would be surreal, but there will be plenty of teams interested in adding an experienced and still capable top-six forward like Elias if he hits the open market.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 2
- Thomas forced into Stars debut after Wild’s Haula bloodies Lehtonen 5
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 7
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)