Apr 27, 2013, 8:56 PM EDT
Has Patrik Elias played in his last game with the New Jersey Devils?
The 37-year-old has spent his entire NHL career with the Devils, but he’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer. After the contest he was asked if he’d like to re-sign with the Devils.
“I hope so,” Elias said, according to the Devils’ website.
He didn’t want to make a commitment though.
“I’m ready for anything,” he said. “We’ll see what happens. Sometimes the negotiations are not as easy as it seems.”
The Devils lost a key forward last summer when Zach Parise signed with the Minnesota Wild. Elias is a different case though. At his age, the loss might be less devastating in some ways, but in others it has the potential to hurt the team and fanbase more.
Elias is the franchise’s all-time leader in goals and assists. He also ranks third in Devils’ history with 1,089 games played. To see him wear another jersey after all that time would be surreal, but there will be plenty of teams interested in adding an experienced and still capable top-six forward like Elias if he hits the open market.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)