Apr 27, 2013, 8:56 PM EDT
Has Patrik Elias played in his last game with the New Jersey Devils?
The 37-year-old has spent his entire NHL career with the Devils, but he’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer. After the contest he was asked if he’d like to re-sign with the Devils.
“I hope so,” Elias said, according to the Devils’ website.
He didn’t want to make a commitment though.
“I’m ready for anything,” he said. “We’ll see what happens. Sometimes the negotiations are not as easy as it seems.”
The Devils lost a key forward last summer when Zach Parise signed with the Minnesota Wild. Elias is a different case though. At his age, the loss might be less devastating in some ways, but in others it has the potential to hurt the team and fanbase more.
Elias is the franchise’s all-time leader in goals and assists. He also ranks third in Devils’ history with 1,089 games played. To see him wear another jersey after all that time would be surreal, but there will be plenty of teams interested in adding an experienced and still capable top-six forward like Elias if he hits the open market.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)