Apr 27, 2013, 8:56 PM EST
Has Patrik Elias played in his last game with the New Jersey Devils?
The 37-year-old has spent his entire NHL career with the Devils, but he’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer. After the contest he was asked if he’d like to re-sign with the Devils.
“I hope so,” Elias said, according to the Devils’ website.
He didn’t want to make a commitment though.
“I’m ready for anything,” he said. “We’ll see what happens. Sometimes the negotiations are not as easy as it seems.”
The Devils lost a key forward last summer when Zach Parise signed with the Minnesota Wild. Elias is a different case though. At his age, the loss might be less devastating in some ways, but in others it has the potential to hurt the team and fanbase more.
Elias is the franchise’s all-time leader in goals and assists. He also ranks third in Devils’ history with 1,089 games played. To see him wear another jersey after all that time would be surreal, but there will be plenty of teams interested in adding an experienced and still capable top-six forward like Elias if he hits the open market.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 11
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)