Apr 27, 2013, 5:52 PM EST
The New York Rangers dominated Saturday’s match against the New Jersey Devils from start to finish and were rewarded with a comfortable 4-0 victory.
With this win, the Rangers have avoided a first round series against the Pittsburgh Penguins. They could finish as high as sixth place, but the Ottawa Senators can push them down to the seventh seed if they get three points in their final two contests.
Here are the talking points:
- Rick Nash scored his 20th and 21st goals of the season this afternoon. He pretty much lived up to expectations in his first regular season with the Rangers, but how will he do in the playoffs? Nash has a goal and three points in four career postseason contests. He also has never won a playoff game.
- The Rangers won 10 of their final 13 matches. Can they carry that momentum into the postseason?
- New Jersey will finish the season with one of the worst records in the league when it comes to goals per game. They were without Ilya Kovalchuk for 11 contests, but the loss of Zach Parise to the Minnesota Wild was certainly felt.
- Martin Brodeur will turn 41 in May and Johan Hedberg will celebrate his 40th birthday. They’re both signed through 2013-14, but can the Devils stay competitive with that tandem? It’s not just about how they’ll preform, it’s a question of if they can stay healthy over the course of an 82-game season.
- Henrik Lundqvist ended up starting in 43 of the Rangers’ 48 games. That might end up being on par with Antti Niemi, but it’s more playing time than Sergei Bobrovsky, Corey Crawford, or Tuukka Rask will receive. Could that push Lundqvist over the edge in his quest for a second straight Vezina Trophy?
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)