Cherry: Women shouldn’t be in men’s dressing rooms

Apr 27, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT

doncherrywithmacleangetty Getty Images

On the heels of Duncan Keith‘s controversial comments toward a female reporter, Don Cherry made polarizing remarks of his own during a “Coach’s Corner” segment during Saturday’s Hockey Night in Canada broadcast.

“I don’t believe — and I really believe this — that women should be in a male dressing room,” Cherry said.

Cherry then shared a personal anecdote.

“I remember the first time it happened to me, guys are walking around naked, and I hear this woman’s voice, I turn around and there’s a woman and she’s asking me about the power play,” Cherry said. “I said ‘let’s go outside,’ she said ‘I’m not embarrassed.’ I said ‘I am.’”

The 79-year-old media personality finished things off with the following views on women:

“I don’t feel women are equal — I feel they’re above us. and I think they’re on a pedestal, and they should not be walking in on naked guys,” Cherry said. “And you know some guys take advantage of it. I don’t think it should be, that’s the way I feel about the whole thing.”

Not surprisingly, this latest segment caused quite a stir on Twitter and other outlets. Video of Cherry’s comments will be added when available.

Related

Cherry bashes Nail Yakupov’s celebration

He thinks Gary Bettman saved the 2013 season

Message to players: stay off Twitter

Cherry makes a public apology

Latest Posts
  1. Deschamps agrees to terms with Finnish squad

Jul 25, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Nicolas Deschamps Getty Images

He made his NHL debut with Washington last season.

2. ‘Hawks 2011 first-round pick Danault told to emulate Kruger

Jul 24, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT

Phillip Danault Getty Images

In other words, they want him to be a shutdown center

3. Julien points to Eriksson as answer to Iginla departure

Jul 24, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT

louierikssongetty Getty Images

Eriksson’s looking to bounce back after suffering two concussions last season.

4. Booth eager to prove he ‘can play in this League again’

Jul 24, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT

NEWARK, NJ - OCTOBER 24: David Booth #7 of the Vancouver Canucks skates against the New Jersey Devils at the Prudential Center on October 24, 2013 in Newark, New Jersey. The Canucks defeated the Devils 3-2 in the shootout. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images) Getty Images

He’ll get a fresh start after struggling with Vancouver.

5. Jets re-sign Ellerby despite not qualifying him

Jul 24, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

Keaton Ellerby Getty Images

He’s coming back after testing the free agent waters.

6. Flames sign Ortio for two more years

Jul 24, 2014, 5:53 PM EDT

Joni Ortio Getty Images

He started in nine games for the Flames last season.

7. Vancouver signs ’14 first-rounder Jared McCann

Jul 24, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT

Jared McCann Getty Images

The Canucks selected him with one of the picks they got from the Ryan Kesler trade.

8. Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract

Jul 24, 2014, 3:31 PM EDT

Lars Eller Getty Images

The two sides managed to avoid arbitration despite a $1.45 million gap on a one-year deal.

9. B’s re-sign Warsofsky: one year, $600,000

Jul 24, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

DavidWarsofsky Getty Images

Alternately known as “the guy Boston got for Vladimir Sobotka.”

10. Veteran NHLer Pyatt signs in Swiss league

Jul 24, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT

Taylor Pyatt

Journeyman split last season between the Rangers and Penguins.

11. Avs ‘confident’ they’ll reach deal with Barrie, says Sakic

Jul 24, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT

Tyson Barrie #4 of the Colorado Avalanche and head coach Patrick Roy appear on the bench during their preseason game against the Los Angeles Kings at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on September 28, 2013 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Colorado won 3-2.
(September 27, 2013 - Source: Ethan Miller/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

Offensive d-man led all Colorado blueliners in goals last year, with 13.

12. Isles, Poulin avoid arbitration with one-year, two-way deal

Jul 24, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT

Kevin Poulin

He’s likely to be the No. 3 goalie in New York this year.

13. Bruins name Sacco assistant coach

Jul 24, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT

Joe Sacco AP

Former Colorado bench boss and Massachusetts native returns home.

14. Avs hope to learn from ‘nightmare’ playoff finish

Jul 24, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Minnesota Wild v Colorado Avalanche - Game Seven Getty Images

“Maybe it just wasn’t our time yet,” Patrick Roy said.

15. PHT Morning Skate: What to do with Niemi?

Jul 24, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Antti Niemi AP

Thursday’s assortment of links.

16. Babcock on analytics: ‘I love the information’

Jul 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

mikebabcockgetty Getty Images

Makes sense for a franchise that frequently favors puck possession.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches