Cherry: Women shouldn’t be in men’s dressing rooms

Apr 27, 2013, 8:40 PM EST

doncherrywithmacleangetty Getty Images

On the heels of Duncan Keith‘s controversial comments toward a female reporter, Don Cherry made polarizing remarks of his own during a “Coach’s Corner” segment during Saturday’s Hockey Night in Canada broadcast.

“I don’t believe — and I really believe this — that women should be in a male dressing room,” Cherry said.

Cherry then shared a personal anecdote.

“I remember the first time it happened to me, guys are walking around naked, and I hear this woman’s voice, I turn around and there’s a woman and she’s asking me about the power play,” Cherry said. “I said ‘let’s go outside,’ she said ‘I’m not embarrassed.’ I said ‘I am.'”

The 79-year-old media personality finished things off with the following views on women:

“I don’t feel women are equal — I feel they’re above us. and I think they’re on a pedestal, and they should not be walking in on naked guys,” Cherry said. “And you know some guys take advantage of it. I don’t think it should be, that’s the way I feel about the whole thing.”

Not surprisingly, this latest segment caused quite a stir on Twitter and other outlets. Video of Cherry’s comments will be added when available.

Related

Cherry bashes Nail Yakupov’s celebration

He thinks Gary Bettman saved the 2013 season

Message to players: stay off Twitter

Cherry makes a public apology

Latest Posts
  1. Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy”

Nov 25, 2014, 10:29 PM EST

patquinn

Spent time in Vancouver as a player and a coach.

2. Video: Canucks’ Desjardins delivers the news to Horvat

Nov 25, 2014, 8:00 PM EST

Bo Horvat, Jason Demers, Pascal Pelletier AP

The 19-year-old rookie will be sticking in the NHL this season.

3. Video: Boll with a hit to the head on Postma

Nov 25, 2014, 7:45 PM EST

EDMONTON, CANADA - MARCH 14: Jared Boll #40 of the Columbus Blue Jackets watches warm-up before a game against the Columbus Blue Jackets at Rexall Place on March 14, 2012 in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. (Photo by Andy Devlin/NHLI via Getty Images) Getty Images

Chris Thorburn dropped the gloves with the Jackets tough guy.

4. Report: Kings receiving interest in Nolan

Nov 25, 2014, 7:15 PM EST

Jordan Nolan AP

He’s been a healthy scratch in three straight games.

5. Torres aims to resume skating soon — without his right ACL

Nov 25, 2014, 5:48 PM EST

Raffi Torres Getty Images

Sharks forward has undergone months of rehab on his surgically-repaired knee.

6. The Kings aren’t just ‘going to go out and blow’ their Voynov cap space

Nov 25, 2014, 5:04 PM EST

2014 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Five Getty Images

“Let’s get real. Finding top-four defensemen, they’re not available,” says GM Dean Lombardi.

7. Trade: Canucks, Isles flip prospects

Nov 25, 2014, 4:27 PM EST

New York Islanders v New Jersey Devils Getty Images

Alex Mallet for Andrey Pedan, specifically.

8. McDavid thinks dropping the gloves ‘was the right thing to do’

Nov 25, 2014, 3:31 PM EST

Erie Otters v Niagara IceDogs Getty Images

“I would rather fight than turtle or anything like that.”

9. Canucks keeping rookie Horvat — ‘Everything he got he earned’

Nov 25, 2014, 2:25 PM EST

Frederik Andersen, Bo Horvat AP

Cory Schneider to “see what kind of player he is” tonight.

10. On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving

Nov 25, 2014, 2:01 PM EST

Pittsburgh Penguins  v Columbus Blue Jackets - Game Three Getty Images

The Blue Jackets, Flyers, Avalanche, Stars, and Sharks all made the playoffs last season. But they’re not in position now.

11. Welcome to the trade rumor mill, Florida Panthers veterans

Nov 25, 2014, 1:47 PM EST

2014 NHL Draft - Rounds 2-7 Getty Images

GM Dale Tallon reportedly wants to make room for some youngsters.

Eakins on his way out of Edmonton?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches