Cherry: Women shouldn’t be in men’s dressing rooms

Apr 27, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT

doncherrywithmacleangetty Getty Images

On the heels of Duncan Keith‘s controversial comments toward a female reporter, Don Cherry made polarizing remarks of his own during a “Coach’s Corner” segment during Saturday’s Hockey Night in Canada broadcast.

“I don’t believe — and I really believe this — that women should be in a male dressing room,” Cherry said.

Cherry then shared a personal anecdote.

“I remember the first time it happened to me, guys are walking around naked, and I hear this woman’s voice, I turn around and there’s a woman and she’s asking me about the power play,” Cherry said. “I said ‘let’s go outside,’ she said ‘I’m not embarrassed.’ I said ‘I am.'”

The 79-year-old media personality finished things off with the following views on women:

“I don’t feel women are equal — I feel they’re above us. and I think they’re on a pedestal, and they should not be walking in on naked guys,” Cherry said. “And you know some guys take advantage of it. I don’t think it should be, that’s the way I feel about the whole thing.”

Not surprisingly, this latest segment caused quite a stir on Twitter and other outlets. Video of Cherry’s comments will be added when available.

Related

Cherry bashes Nail Yakupov’s celebration

He thinks Gary Bettman saved the 2013 season

Message to players: stay off Twitter

Cherry makes a public apology

Latest Posts
  1. Wild, Fontaine avoid arbitration — two years, $2 million

Jul 29, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT

Chicago Blackhawks v Minnesota Wild - Game Six Getty Images

Had 13 goals and eight assists in 2013-14, his rookie season in the NHL.

2. Abdelkader suspended for first three games of 2015 Worlds for high hit on Sobotka

Jul 29, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT

Justin Abdelkader, Reto Berra AP

IIHF Disciplinary Board levies punishment for “very forceful check.”

3. Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center

Jul 29, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT

BarryTrotz Getty Images

New Caps coach wants “people who are really good at distributing the puck and making things happen from the middle of the ice.”

4. Panthers avoid arbitration with Hayes, who gets one-year deal

Jul 29, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT

Totonto Maple Leafs v Florida Panthers Getty Images

Had 11 goals and seven assists in 53 games last season.

5. Jets, Frolik agree on one-year deal worth $3.3 million

Jul 29, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT

Winnipeg Jets v San Jose Sharks Getty Images

Can become an unrestricted free agent next summer now.

6. Feaster: Just a matter of time until Tortorella returns

Jul 29, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Calgary Flames v Vancouver Canucks Getty Images

They won the Stanley Cup together in Tampa Bay.

7. Analytics just piece of puzzle to Leafs’ Dubas

Jul 28, 2014, 10:16 PM EDT

Dubas

He was recently hired by the team to serve as an assistant general manager.

8. Bruins prospect Warsofsky aims to force his way into NHL

Jul 28, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT

David Warsofsky Getty Images

That won’t be easy given the Bruins’ current logjam.

9. ‘Hawks prospect Shalunov signs two-year KHL deal

Jul 28, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT

Maxim Shalunov AP

He attempted to make the transition to North America in 2013-14.

10. Sharks start extension talks with Braun

Jul 28, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT

Justin Braun Getty Images

The two sides are unlikely to agree to terms quickly though.

11. Blake, Robitaille highlight Kings alumni for game vs. Russian Stars

Jul 28, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT

2012 NHL Stanley Cup Final – Game Six Getty Images

Yashin and Bure are among the players that will compete against Los Angeles.

12. Leafs continue to add vets, sign Winnik to one-year, $1.3M deal

Jul 28, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT

Daniel Winnik Getty Images

Former Anaheim forward posted a career high in points last year.

13. Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal

Jul 28, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT

tomastatargetty Getty Images

With Riley Sheahan also signed, the only RFA left is Danny DeKeyser.

14. Habs ink ex-Wild forward Dowell to AHL deal

Jul 28, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT

Columbus Blue Jackets v Minnesota Wild Columbus Blue Jackets v Minnesota Wild

He’s appeared in over 150 NHL games with Chicago, Dallas and Minnesota.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches