Cherry: Women shouldn’t be in men’s dressing rooms

Apr 27, 2013, 8:40 PM EST

doncherrywithmacleangetty Getty Images

On the heels of Duncan Keith‘s controversial comments toward a female reporter, Don Cherry made polarizing remarks of his own during a “Coach’s Corner” segment during Saturday’s Hockey Night in Canada broadcast.

“I don’t believe — and I really believe this — that women should be in a male dressing room,” Cherry said.

Cherry then shared a personal anecdote.

“I remember the first time it happened to me, guys are walking around naked, and I hear this woman’s voice, I turn around and there’s a woman and she’s asking me about the power play,” Cherry said. “I said ‘let’s go outside,’ she said ‘I’m not embarrassed.’ I said ‘I am.'”

The 79-year-old media personality finished things off with the following views on women:

“I don’t feel women are equal — I feel they’re above us. and I think they’re on a pedestal, and they should not be walking in on naked guys,” Cherry said. “And you know some guys take advantage of it. I don’t think it should be, that’s the way I feel about the whole thing.”

Not surprisingly, this latest segment caused quite a stir on Twitter and other outlets. Video of Cherry’s comments will be added when available.

Related

Cherry bashes Nail Yakupov’s celebration

He thinks Gary Bettman saved the 2013 season

Message to players: stay off Twitter

Cherry makes a public apology

Latest Posts
  1. Kings defeat Habs in shootout to tighten up West playoff race

Mar 6, 2015, 1:36 AM EST

Marian Gaborik, Drew Doughty AP

Minnesota, Calgary and L.A. all win on Thursday.

2. Predators’ losing streak hits five games

Mar 5, 2015, 11:02 PM EST

Pekka Rinne, Michael Grabner AP

Brock Nelson scored the winner.

3. Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated)

Mar 5, 2015, 7:13 PM EST

Mike Ribeiro Mike Ribeiro

“At the same time, Mike will maintain his focus on doing all he can to help Nashville win its first-ever Stanley Cup.”

4. Ovechkin (lower body) to miss first game of the season tonight

Mar 5, 2015, 6:47 PM EST

Washington Capitals v New York Islanders Getty Images

Won’t suit up when the Caps take on Minnesota.

5. Bruins sign former WHL captain Justin Hickman

Mar 5, 2015, 5:27 PM EST

Seattle Thunderbirds v Kelowna Rockets Getty Images

Big forward who doesn’t mind dropping the gloves.

6. (Video) PHT Extra: Why would Babcock leave the Wings now?

Mar 5, 2015, 4:26 PM EST

Mike Babcock Mike Babcock

He recently called them the “best group I’ve had since ’09.”

7. Preds ‘out for a little revenge’ versus Isles

Mar 5, 2015, 3:00 PM EST

Taylor Beck, Anders Lee, Josh Bailey AP

Nashville’s won just two of its last eight.

8. Edler, Burrows, and Kassian expected back for Canucks, who ‘better be’ ready for Coyotes

Mar 5, 2015, 2:05 PM EST

AlexEdler Getty Images

“We only have 19 games left and we have to be winning and getting points.”

Is there an issue with Babcock in Detroit?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches