Cherry: Women shouldn’t be in men’s dressing rooms

Apr 27, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT

doncherrywithmacleangetty Getty Images

On the heels of Duncan Keith‘s controversial comments toward a female reporter, Don Cherry made polarizing remarks of his own during a “Coach’s Corner” segment during Saturday’s Hockey Night in Canada broadcast.

“I don’t believe — and I really believe this — that women should be in a male dressing room,” Cherry said.

Cherry then shared a personal anecdote.

“I remember the first time it happened to me, guys are walking around naked, and I hear this woman’s voice, I turn around and there’s a woman and she’s asking me about the power play,” Cherry said. “I said ‘let’s go outside,’ she said ‘I’m not embarrassed.’ I said ‘I am.'”

The 79-year-old media personality finished things off with the following views on women:

“I don’t feel women are equal — I feel they’re above us. and I think they’re on a pedestal, and they should not be walking in on naked guys,” Cherry said. “And you know some guys take advantage of it. I don’t think it should be, that’s the way I feel about the whole thing.”

Not surprisingly, this latest segment caused quite a stir on Twitter and other outlets. Video of Cherry’s comments will be added when available.

Related

Cherry bashes Nail Yakupov’s celebration

He thinks Gary Bettman saved the 2013 season

Message to players: stay off Twitter

Cherry makes a public apology

Latest Posts
  1. Video: Kane urges patience, but ‘trying to heal as fast as I can’

Apr 1, 2015, 2:27 PM EDT

Patrick Kane AP

“I think the timetable’s still at the 12-week mark.”

2. Video: Babcock got a little snippy with the media last night

Apr 1, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT

Mike Babcock Getty Images

“You guys when you’re asking me these questions, you guys want to be negative more than me.”

3. St. Cloud sniper Brodzinski skips senior year, signs with Kings

Apr 1, 2015, 12:52 PM EDT

After posting three straight 20-goal seasons.

4. Patrick Kane is practicing today

Apr 1, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT

Kane practicing

Has it been 12 weeks already?

5. Slumping Blues lose Tarasenko to lower-body injury

Apr 1, 2015, 11:48 AM EDT

Vladimir Tarasenko Getty Images

Sounds like Ty Rattie is on his way up from the AHL.

6. Official: Rangers prospect Skjei leaves Gophers, headed to AHL

Apr 1, 2015, 11:25 AM EDT

University of Michigan v Minnesota Getty Images

New York’s first-round pick in 2012 will reportedly join AHL Hartford.

7. Report: No suspension for Burrows after Gaustad hit

Apr 1, 2015, 10:56 AM EDT

Alex Burrows Getty Images

Vancouver forward was given a five-minute interference major on the play.

8. Caps unveil new 24-hour radio channel

Apr 1, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT

Alex Ovechkin, Nicklas Backstrom AP

Caps Radio 24/7 provides “a sense of community among our fan base, with players and fans alike contributing to its content.”

9. NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night

Apr 1, 2015, 9:37 AM EDT

Pittsburgh Penguins v Philadelphia Flyers Getty Images

Philly’s beaten its local rival six times in a row.

10. PHT Morning Skate: Visual evidence of Drew Miller’s close call

Apr 1, 2015, 8:36 AM EDT

scarymiller

Also: Alex Ovechkin’s peerless goal-scoring work and other links.

11. Video: Burrows ‘surprised, upset’ he received a major penalty for hit on Gaustad

Apr 1, 2015, 1:41 AM EDT

Getty Images

Could the Vancouver forward be facing further discipline from the league?

12. ‘We just didn’t have it tonight': Lightning lose to Maple Leafs

Apr 1, 2015, 1:17 AM EDT

Getty Images

Tampa Bay is in a battle for the Atlantic Division.

Can anything stop Tampa Bay?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches