Cherry: Women shouldn’t be in men’s dressing rooms

Apr 27, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT

doncherrywithmacleangetty Getty Images

On the heels of Duncan Keith‘s controversial comments toward a female reporter, Don Cherry made polarizing remarks of his own during a “Coach’s Corner” segment during Saturday’s Hockey Night in Canada broadcast.

“I don’t believe — and I really believe this — that women should be in a male dressing room,” Cherry said.

Cherry then shared a personal anecdote.

“I remember the first time it happened to me, guys are walking around naked, and I hear this woman’s voice, I turn around and there’s a woman and she’s asking me about the power play,” Cherry said. “I said ‘let’s go outside,’ she said ‘I’m not embarrassed.’ I said ‘I am.'”

The 79-year-old media personality finished things off with the following views on women:

“I don’t feel women are equal — I feel they’re above us. and I think they’re on a pedestal, and they should not be walking in on naked guys,” Cherry said. “And you know some guys take advantage of it. I don’t think it should be, that’s the way I feel about the whole thing.”

Not surprisingly, this latest segment caused quite a stir on Twitter and other outlets. Video of Cherry’s comments will be added when available.

Related

Cherry bashes Nail Yakupov’s celebration

He thinks Gary Bettman saved the 2013 season

Message to players: stay off Twitter

Cherry makes a public apology

Latest Posts
  1. Blues re-sign Jaskin to one-year contract

Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT

Getty Images

Scored 13 goals in 54 games last season.

2. Sabres sign veteran d-man Colaiacovo

Jul 3, 2015, 7:44 PM EDT

Getty Images

Buffalo also signed Cal O’Reilly, who played last season with the AHL Utica Comets.

3. Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets

Jul 3, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT

AP

He signed a six-year, $36 million deal with Columbus.

4. Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal

Jul 3, 2015, 5:44 PM EDT

Getty Images

“Joel is a quality veteran player who can score but also plays an extremely hard-nosed brand of hockey.”

5. ‘Canes hire ex-Florida assistant Morris for AHL gig

Jul 3, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT

Brings a wealth of success, experience at AHL, collegiate levels.

6. Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal

Jul 3, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT

150611_Saad Getty Images

“This long-term commitment that assures he will be an important part of our team for years to come.”

7. Larkin, Mantha in tough to make Red Wings roster, says Holland

Jul 3, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT

AnthonyMantha

“They gotta come in and knock somebody out of the box.”

8. Flyers sign Colin McDonald

Jul 3, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT

New York Islanders v New Jersey Devils Getty Images

A one-year, two-way deal for the ex-Islander.

9. Jets re-sign Maurice’s coaching staff

Jul 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT

Winnipeg Jets v Colorado Avalanche Getty Images

Charlie Huddy, Pascal Vincent and Wade Flaherty all inked three-year extensions.

10. Blues re-sign Allen for two years

Jul 3, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT

Jake Allen AP

Expected to battle Brian Elliott for the starting role in St. Louis.

11. Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract

Jul 3, 2015, 12:23 PM EDT

Connor McDavid AP

“It’s an exciting time to be a part of this organization.”

12. Quick hits: Caps give Bourque two-year, two-way deal

Jul 3, 2015, 11:32 AM EDT

Nashville Predators v Washington Capitals Getty Images

Bobby Sanguinetti to Buffalo; Sharks grab Mark Cundari.

13. Philly hires goalie coach Dillabaugh, formerly of Los Angeles

Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT

Steve Mason AP

Where he “contributed to the development of Jonathan Quick, Jonathan Bernier and Martin Jones.”

14. Rangers sign ex-Sabres, Jackets forward Adam

Jul 3, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT

Luke Adam Getty Images

The 44th overall pick at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches