Cherry: Women shouldn’t be in men’s dressing rooms

Apr 27, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT

doncherrywithmacleangetty Getty Images

On the heels of Duncan Keith‘s controversial comments toward a female reporter, Don Cherry made polarizing remarks of his own during a “Coach’s Corner” segment during Saturday’s Hockey Night in Canada broadcast.

“I don’t believe — and I really believe this — that women should be in a male dressing room,” Cherry said.

Cherry then shared a personal anecdote.

“I remember the first time it happened to me, guys are walking around naked, and I hear this woman’s voice, I turn around and there’s a woman and she’s asking me about the power play,” Cherry said. “I said ‘let’s go outside,’ she said ‘I’m not embarrassed.’ I said ‘I am.'”

The 79-year-old media personality finished things off with the following views on women:

“I don’t feel women are equal — I feel they’re above us. and I think they’re on a pedestal, and they should not be walking in on naked guys,” Cherry said. “And you know some guys take advantage of it. I don’t think it should be, that’s the way I feel about the whole thing.”

Not surprisingly, this latest segment caused quite a stir on Twitter and other outlets. Video of Cherry’s comments will be added when available.

Related

Cherry bashes Nail Yakupov’s celebration

He thinks Gary Bettman saved the 2013 season

Message to players: stay off Twitter

Cherry makes a public apology

Latest Posts
  1. Jacobs feels firing Chiarelli was right move, cites cap management

Jul 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

Jeremy Jacobs Getty Images

The former general manager “wasn’t prepared to make the changes that needed to be made.”

2. Former NHL forward Berezin arrested for alleged fraud

Jul 29, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT

Sergei Berezin Getty Images

He played in 502 games, primarily with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

3. Coyotes sign German League standout goalie Treutle

Jul 29, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT

Niklas Treutle Getty Images

The 24-year-old gives agreed to an entry-level deal.

4. Shero: Buying out Zubrus creates flexibility to add forward

Jul 29, 2015, 6:27 PM EDT

Dainius Zubrus Getty Images

“It really wasn’t about Dainius himself.”

5. Gillette Stadium will host Bruins-Habs alumni game ahead of Winter Classic

Jul 29, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT

2016 Winter Classic Logo

The contest will air on Dec. 31 while the Classic itself is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. ET on Jan. 1.

6. Ryan Murray: ‘I have to show up and prove it’

Jul 29, 2015, 2:28 PM EDT

Ryan Murray AP

Staying healthy would help, too.

7. Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs

Jul 29, 2015, 1:22 PM EDT

2014 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Five Getty Images

The Seal Beach Detention Center isn’t exactly Shawshank.

8. Campbell credits ECHL stint for turning his game around

Jul 29, 2015, 1:03 PM EDT

Dallas Stars training camp Getty Images

“I relaxed down there and came back with the same attitude and everything kind of took care of itself.”

9. Zubrus on unconditional waivers for purpose of terminating his contract

Jul 29, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT

New York Rangers v New Jersey Devils Getty Images

Veteran forward had just four goals and six assists in 74 games last season.

10. Talbot knows he has a ‘great opportunity’ in Edmonton

Jul 29, 2015, 11:09 AM EDT

Cam Talbot AP

Can he give the Oilers the goaltending they so badly need?

11. Report: Rangers prospect Andersson headed to North America

Jul 29, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

ERC Ingolstadt v EV Zug - Champions Hockey League Getty Images

Spent last season with Lugano in the Swiss League.

12. Report: Visnovsky considering European options

Jul 28, 2015, 9:38 PM EDT

WASHINGTON, DC - FEBRUARY 04: Lubomir Visnovsky #11 of the New York Islanders in action against the Washington Capitals at the Verizon Center on February 4, 2014 in Washington, DC. The New York Islanders won, 1-0. (Photo by Patrick Smith/Getty Images) Getty Images

Potentially a move to Switzerland, or the Czech League.

13. Sabres name Cunneyworth AHL head coach

Jul 28, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT

Randy Cunneyworth Getty Images

Returning him to Rochester for a third time.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches