Cherry: Women shouldn’t be in men’s dressing rooms

Apr 27, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT

doncherrywithmacleangetty Getty Images

On the heels of Duncan Keith‘s controversial comments toward a female reporter, Don Cherry made polarizing remarks of his own during a “Coach’s Corner” segment during Saturday’s Hockey Night in Canada broadcast.

“I don’t believe — and I really believe this — that women should be in a male dressing room,” Cherry said.

Cherry then shared a personal anecdote.

“I remember the first time it happened to me, guys are walking around naked, and I hear this woman’s voice, I turn around and there’s a woman and she’s asking me about the power play,” Cherry said. “I said ‘let’s go outside,’ she said ‘I’m not embarrassed.’ I said ‘I am.'”

The 79-year-old media personality finished things off with the following views on women:

“I don’t feel women are equal — I feel they’re above us. and I think they’re on a pedestal, and they should not be walking in on naked guys,” Cherry said. “And you know some guys take advantage of it. I don’t think it should be, that’s the way I feel about the whole thing.”

Not surprisingly, this latest segment caused quite a stir on Twitter and other outlets. Video of Cherry’s comments will be added when available.

Related

Cherry bashes Nail Yakupov’s celebration

He thinks Gary Bettman saved the 2013 season

Message to players: stay off Twitter

Cherry makes a public apology

Latest Posts
  1. Poll: Who will replace Hartnell on Philly’s first line?

Aug 20, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT

Brayden Schenn Getty Images

Giroux and Voracek will need someone new to run with them.

2. Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’

Aug 20, 2014, 5:46 PM EDT

Joe Thornton Getty Images

Patrick Marleau can coach him through it.

3. Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format

Aug 20, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT

Bill Daly lottery Getty Images

It’s not as good to be the worst anymore.

4. Under Pressure: Steve Mason

Aug 20, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT

stevemasongetty Getty Images

How will he handle the weight of expectation?

5. After ‘humbling summer,’ Del Zotto aims to bolster Flyers’ D

Aug 20, 2014, 12:23 PM EDT

Michael Del Zotto Getty Images

“I’m confident in myself and confident I can get back to where I used to be.”

6. Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes

Aug 20, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT

Kevin Hayes Getty Images

He’ll be reunited with former Boston College teammate Chris Kreider in New York.

7. Looking to make the leap: Shayne Gostisbehere

Aug 20, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT

Shayne Gostisbehere Getty Images

The college star could push to make Philly’s blue line right away.

8. NHL concussion lawsuits to be consolidated

Aug 20, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT

Gary Bettman, Bill Daly AP

And assigned to a U.S. District Judge in Minnesota.

9. It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT

Aug 20, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Jakub Voracek,  Vincent Lecavalier , Claude Giroux AP

They hope to improve on their first round loss to the Rangers.

10. Sens’ Karlsson will accept captaincy if offered

Aug 19, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT

Erik Karlsson AP

He’s not going out of his way for it, however.

11. Fanspeak: Messier voted greatest Ranger in franchise history

Aug 19, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT

Mark Messier Getty Images

You earn a lot of votes winning a Stanley Cup.

12. Under pressure: Rick Nash

Aug 19, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Rick Nash Getty Images

He had a down season and worse playoffs last year.

13. Looking to make the leap: J.T. Miller

Aug 19, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT

JT MIller

Can the former 15th overall pick establish himself as a full-time NHLer?

14. Senators sign MacArthur to five-year, $23.25 million extension

Aug 19, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT

Clarke MacArthur Getty Images

He was second on the team in goals last season.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches