Cherry: Women shouldn’t be in men’s dressing rooms

Apr 27, 2013, 8:40 PM EST

doncherrywithmacleangetty Getty Images

On the heels of Duncan Keith‘s controversial comments toward a female reporter, Don Cherry made polarizing remarks of his own during a “Coach’s Corner” segment during Saturday’s Hockey Night in Canada broadcast.

“I don’t believe — and I really believe this — that women should be in a male dressing room,” Cherry said.

Cherry then shared a personal anecdote.

“I remember the first time it happened to me, guys are walking around naked, and I hear this woman’s voice, I turn around and there’s a woman and she’s asking me about the power play,” Cherry said. “I said ‘let’s go outside,’ she said ‘I’m not embarrassed.’ I said ‘I am.'”

The 79-year-old media personality finished things off with the following views on women:

“I don’t feel women are equal — I feel they’re above us. and I think they’re on a pedestal, and they should not be walking in on naked guys,” Cherry said. “And you know some guys take advantage of it. I don’t think it should be, that’s the way I feel about the whole thing.”

Not surprisingly, this latest segment caused quite a stir on Twitter and other outlets. Video of Cherry’s comments will be added when available.

Related

Cherry bashes Nail Yakupov’s celebration

He thinks Gary Bettman saved the 2013 season

Message to players: stay off Twitter

Cherry makes a public apology

Latest Posts
  1. Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps

Dec 18, 2014, 6:39 PM EST

Sidney Crosby AP

He’ll be in the lineup when Pittsburgh takes on the Avs at home.

2. Avs’ Stuart to play game No. 1,000 tonight

Dec 18, 2014, 6:33 PM EST

Florida Panthers v Colorado Avalanche Getty Images

When Colorado takes on the Penguins at Consol.

3. Ben Eager signs with Blues’ AHL affiliate

Dec 18, 2014, 6:07 PM EST

Ben Eager

Journeyman tough guy is back playing in North America.

4. Diving fine has players more ‘aware’ of NHL’s crackdown on embellishment

Dec 18, 2014, 5:30 PM EST

Neal dive

So says Sharks coach Todd McLellan, who witnessed James Neal’s cannonball on Saturday.

5. (Video) PHT Extra: What’s wrong with the Stanley Cup champs?

Dec 18, 2014, 5:05 PM EST

Tyler Toffoli, Steve Ott AP

The Kings have lost five of their last six.

6. Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams

Dec 18, 2014, 2:57 PM EST

Anaheim Ducks v Minnesota Wild Getty Images

The Minnesota Wild have to be frustrated.

7. Smith ‘hasn’t been able to get it done’ for Coyotes, says Tippett

Dec 18, 2014, 2:16 PM EST

Nashville Predators v Arizona Coyotes Getty Images

“Hopefully he can get in there and find his game.”

8. AHL’s Oklahoma City Barons to cease operations at end of season

Dec 18, 2014, 1:42 PM EST

Oklahoma City Barons v Lake Erie Monsters Getty Images

The Oilers’ farm team could be moving west in 2015-16.

9. Jets lose yet another d-man, rule Stuart out ’til February

Dec 18, 2014, 1:38 PM EST

Winnipeg Jets v Buffalo Sabres Winnipeg Jets v Buffalo Sabres

Joins Jacob Trouba, Zach Bogosian and Tobias Enstrom on the shelf.

10. PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles

Dec 18, 2014, 12:58 PM EST

Jim Nill AP

“Sometimes it’s one step forward and two steps back.”

11. Hasek, Niedermayer, Reichel highlight IIHF Hall of Fame class

Dec 18, 2014, 12:13 PM EST

1998 Winter Olympics In Nagano, Japan Getty Images

Along with builder Fran Rider, and former Swedish international Maria Rooth.

12. Preds waive Stalberg

Dec 18, 2014, 11:59 AM EST

Viktor Stalberg #25 of the Nashville Predators warms up prior to a game against the Winnipeg Jets at Bridgestone Arena on October 24, 2013 in Nashville, Tennessee.
(October 23, 2013 - Source: Frederick Breedon/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

Former 20-goal scorer — and Stanley Cup winner — has been a bust in Nashville.

13. Sestito sounds off, says he ‘hasn’t been given a fair shake’ in Vancouver

Dec 18, 2014, 11:51 AM EST

Tom Sestito, Luke Gazdic AP

“It’s a pretty simple game I play, and if they’re not a fan of it, I’ve got to play somewhere else, I guess.”

14. Sens loan Lazar to Team Canada for World Juniors

Dec 18, 2014, 11:36 AM EST

Colorado Avalanche v Ottawa Senators Colorado Avalanche v Ottawa Senators

Where he’ll play alongside Rangers forward Anthony Duclair.

15. Habs demote Andrighetto, who made a strong impression

Dec 18, 2014, 11:32 AM EST

Montreal Canadians v Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

The 21-year-old had three points in four games.

16. Penguins clear Fleury, continue to deal with mumps

Dec 18, 2014, 10:47 AM EST

Pittsburgh Penguins v Carolina Hurricanes Getty Images

Thomas Greiss is being isolated in case he also has the ailment.

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches