Cherry: Women shouldn’t be in men’s dressing rooms

Apr 27, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT

doncherrywithmacleangetty Getty Images

On the heels of Duncan Keith‘s controversial comments toward a female reporter, Don Cherry made polarizing remarks of his own during a “Coach’s Corner” segment during Saturday’s Hockey Night in Canada broadcast.

“I don’t believe — and I really believe this — that women should be in a male dressing room,” Cherry said.

Cherry then shared a personal anecdote.

“I remember the first time it happened to me, guys are walking around naked, and I hear this woman’s voice, I turn around and there’s a woman and she’s asking me about the power play,” Cherry said. “I said ‘let’s go outside,’ she said ‘I’m not embarrassed.’ I said ‘I am.'”

The 79-year-old media personality finished things off with the following views on women:

“I don’t feel women are equal — I feel they’re above us. and I think they’re on a pedestal, and they should not be walking in on naked guys,” Cherry said. “And you know some guys take advantage of it. I don’t think it should be, that’s the way I feel about the whole thing.”

Not surprisingly, this latest segment caused quite a stir on Twitter and other outlets. Video of Cherry’s comments will be added when available.

Related

Cherry bashes Nail Yakupov’s celebration

He thinks Gary Bettman saved the 2013 season

Message to players: stay off Twitter

Cherry makes a public apology

Latest Posts
  1. Chris Phillips (back surgery) questionable for training camp

Sep 5, 2015, 9:21 AM EDT

Chris Phillips Getty Images

He’s Ottawa’s all-time leader in games played.

2. 18 going on 30: Habs’ prospect Fucale must be patient behind Price

Sep 4, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT

Zachary Fucale AP

He’s wise to be patient with Carey Price cemented in the No. 1 spot.

3. Panthers will bring hockey to Dominican Republic

Sep 4, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT

2015 NHL All-Star Weekend - Mascot Portraits Getty Images

They previously visited Puerto Rico and the Bahamas.

4. Report: Bruins extend tryout offer to Gustavsson

Sep 4, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT

Jonas Gustavsson AP

Meanwhile, Daniel Paille still looks for work.

5. Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer

Sep 4, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT

Phil Kessel AP

His critics get one fewer straw to grasp.

6. Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office

Sep 4, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT

Rich Peverley AP

He’ll reportedly work in the player development department.

7. Rangers nab Chris Drury as director of player development

Sep 4, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT

Rangers Sign Chris Drury And Scott Gomez Getty Images

GM Jeff Gorton is excited to bring him back to New York.

8. Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation

Sep 4, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT

Patrick Kane AP

Everyone that was at his Hamburg home during the night of the alleged incident, to be exacted.

9. Tyler Johnson should be ready for Lightning training camp

Sep 4, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT

Tyler Johnson AP

He’s recovering from a broken right wrist.

10. Zetterberg: Babcock leaving Detroit was best for both sides

Sep 4, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT

Stanley Cup Finals - Detroit Red Wings v Pittsburgh Penguins - Game Six Getty Images

A summer of change provides “a fresh start.”

11. Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed

Sep 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT

Andrei Vasilevskiy AP

Less (or at least delayed) competition for Ben Bishop.

12. Dmitry Orlov (wrist) ready after missing 2014-15

Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT

Dmitry Orlov Getty Images

He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.

13. Coyotes sign ’15 first rounder Nick Merkley

Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT

Nick Merkley Getty Images

He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches