Cherry: Women shouldn’t be in men’s dressing rooms

Apr 27, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT

doncherrywithmacleangetty Getty Images

On the heels of Duncan Keith‘s controversial comments toward a female reporter, Don Cherry made polarizing remarks of his own during a “Coach’s Corner” segment during Saturday’s Hockey Night in Canada broadcast.

“I don’t believe — and I really believe this — that women should be in a male dressing room,” Cherry said.

Cherry then shared a personal anecdote.

“I remember the first time it happened to me, guys are walking around naked, and I hear this woman’s voice, I turn around and there’s a woman and she’s asking me about the power play,” Cherry said. “I said ‘let’s go outside,’ she said ‘I’m not embarrassed.’ I said ‘I am.'”

The 79-year-old media personality finished things off with the following views on women:

“I don’t feel women are equal — I feel they’re above us. and I think they’re on a pedestal, and they should not be walking in on naked guys,” Cherry said. “And you know some guys take advantage of it. I don’t think it should be, that’s the way I feel about the whole thing.”

Not surprisingly, this latest segment caused quite a stir on Twitter and other outlets. Video of Cherry’s comments will be added when available.

Related

Cherry bashes Nail Yakupov’s celebration

He thinks Gary Bettman saved the 2013 season

Message to players: stay off Twitter

Cherry makes a public apology

Latest Posts
  1. Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead

May 23, 2015, 10:54 PM EDT

Toronto Maple Leafs play the Anaheim Ducks Getty Images

Chicago had the lead. Gave it up. Tied it up again.

2. WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4

May 23, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT

Getty Images

Anaheim can put Chicago on the brink of elimination.

3. Kelowna Rockets fined $500 for complaining about officiating at Memorial Cup

May 23, 2015, 4:44 PM EDT

Portland Winterhawks v Kelowna Rockets Portland Winterhawks v Kelowna Rockets

Oilers’ prospects Leon Draisaitl and Marc-Olivier Roy were among those who received 10-minute misconducts on Friday night.

4. Report: Devils made offer to KHL forward Sergei Kalinin

May 23, 2015, 3:43 PM EDT

Sergei Kalinin Sergei Kalinin

His teammate Vladimir Sobotka is likely staying in Russia.

5. Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’

May 23, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT

Ben Bishop Ben Bishop

The Bolts’ starter has allowed five goals in each of his last two starts.

6. Report: John Cassaday to replace Tim Leiweke as MLSE president and CEO

May 23, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT

MLSE MLSE

A formal announcement could come as early as next week.

7. Report: Coyotes to hire analytics guru John Chayka

May 23, 2015, 10:40 AM EDT

Coyotes-logo

He’ll serve as an assistant to GM Don Maloney.

8. Deadline approaching for Jackets to sign prospect Peter Quenneville

May 23, 2015, 9:43 AM EDT

Brandon Wheat Kings v Kelowna Rockets Getty Images

He would be eligible for this year’s draft, if he doesn’t come to terms by June 1.

9. Video: Lightning-Rangers game gets heated in final minutes

May 22, 2015, 11:42 PM EDT

Lightning-Rangers skirmish

Kucherov, Paquette, and Glass all receive misconduct penalties.

10. Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4

May 22, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

The score was one-sided, but this game could have gone the other way if not for the Rangers’ netminder.

Babcock has his work cut out in Toronto
Top 10 NHL Player Searches