Cherry: Women shouldn’t be in men’s dressing rooms

Apr 27, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT

doncherrywithmacleangetty Getty Images

On the heels of Duncan Keith‘s controversial comments toward a female reporter, Don Cherry made polarizing remarks of his own during a “Coach’s Corner” segment during Saturday’s Hockey Night in Canada broadcast.

“I don’t believe — and I really believe this — that women should be in a male dressing room,” Cherry said.

Cherry then shared a personal anecdote.

“I remember the first time it happened to me, guys are walking around naked, and I hear this woman’s voice, I turn around and there’s a woman and she’s asking me about the power play,” Cherry said. “I said ‘let’s go outside,’ she said ‘I’m not embarrassed.’ I said ‘I am.'”

The 79-year-old media personality finished things off with the following views on women:

“I don’t feel women are equal — I feel they’re above us. and I think they’re on a pedestal, and they should not be walking in on naked guys,” Cherry said. “And you know some guys take advantage of it. I don’t think it should be, that’s the way I feel about the whole thing.”

Not surprisingly, this latest segment caused quite a stir on Twitter and other outlets. Video of Cherry’s comments will be added when available.

Related

Cherry bashes Nail Yakupov’s celebration

He thinks Gary Bettman saved the 2013 season

Message to players: stay off Twitter

Cherry makes a public apology

Latest Posts
  1. Pens CEO says Johnston, Rutherford won’t be fired

Apr 25, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT

Mike Johnston Mike Johnston

Both were in their first season with the hockey club.

2. Report: Malkin invited to Worlds

Apr 25, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

SOCHI, RUSSIA - FEBRUARY 13: Yevgeni Malkin #11 of Russia skates against Slovenia during the Men's Ice Hockey Preliminary Round Group A game on day six of the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics at Bolshoy Ice Dome on February 13, 2014 in Sochi, Russia. Getty Images

He helped Russia win gold last year.

3. Avs’ Landeskog underwent wrist surgery

Apr 25, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT

Gabriel Landeskog Getty Images

He declined an invite to the Worlds because of the injury.

4. Jagr to play at World Championship

Apr 25, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT

Jaromir Jagr AP

He announced his retirement from international competition nearly a year ago.

5. Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink

Apr 25, 2015, 12:28 AM EDT

Devan Dubnyk AP

St. Louis couldn’t capitalize on an early lead.

6. WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action

Apr 24, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT

Marc-Andre Fleury AP

Pittsburgh and Ottawa need to win to survive.

7. Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’

Apr 24, 2015, 11:24 PM EDT

Evgeni Malkin Getty Images

He didn’t get a point in the first round.

8. Video: Prust sparks melee by spearing goalie Anderson

Apr 24, 2015, 10:57 PM EDT

Prust, Anderson

Senators coach Dave Cameron called it “cheap” and a sign of frustration.

9. It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime

Apr 24, 2015, 10:35 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpta0ntizmjbjndy3yti3nwe0nwfhnwy3odfjn2u2mwrm AP

Evgeni Malkin finished the series without a point.

10. Video: Tarasenko continues unreal run with sixth goal on nine shots

Apr 24, 2015, 10:14 PM EDT

Vladimir Tarasenko

Alexander Steen played a big role in that marker.

11. Blues without Jori Lehtera for Game 5 vs. Wild

Apr 24, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT

Jori Lehtera Getty Images

The odds of him playing were initially “50-50.”

12. Video: Spaling gets unusual goal as puck bounces off arm

Apr 24, 2015, 8:59 PM EDT

Spaling goal

That tied Game 5 between Pittsburgh and the Rangers at 1-1.

13. Video: Ryan snaps 16-game goal scoring slump

Apr 24, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT

Ryan goal

is that the start of a breakout for him?

Plenty of pressure on Blues