Apr 27, 2013, 10:18 AM EST
Caps GM George McPhee is doing his part to keep at least half of his goaltending tandem happy.
The team announced they’ve signed current backup goalie Michal Neuvirth to a two-year extension worth $5 million. He’ll cash in at $2.4 million next season and $2.6 million the following year. The deal is good for a cap hit of $2.5 million. He was due to be a restricted free agent this summer.
What’s curious about this extension is it puts Neuvirth ahead of current starter Braden Holtby on the salary list. Back in February, the Caps signed Holtby to a two-year, $3.7 million extension. His deal and Neuvirth’s deal will expire after the 2014-15 season putting them in a competition for the starting job til then.
It’s not a ton of money being burned against the cap, especially for goaltending, and both goalies are young and have playoff experience but you have to wonder what it makes Holtby think of what he’s done to help buoy the team in net this season and last.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 5
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 74
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 72
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 63
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 37
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 72
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 170
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (170)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (75)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (74)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (73)