Apr 27, 2013, 10:18 AM EST
Caps GM George McPhee is doing his part to keep at least half of his goaltending tandem happy.
The team announced they’ve signed current backup goalie Michal Neuvirth to a two-year extension worth $5 million. He’ll cash in at $2.4 million next season and $2.6 million the following year. The deal is good for a cap hit of $2.5 million. He was due to be a restricted free agent this summer.
What’s curious about this extension is it puts Neuvirth ahead of current starter Braden Holtby on the salary list. Back in February, the Caps signed Holtby to a two-year, $3.7 million extension. His deal and Neuvirth’s deal will expire after the 2014-15 season putting them in a competition for the starting job til then.
It’s not a ton of money being burned against the cap, especially for goaltending, and both goalies are young and have playoff experience but you have to wonder what it makes Holtby think of what he’s done to help buoy the team in net this season and last.
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 1
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 10
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 82
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (82)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)