Apr 27, 2013, 7:34 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues can secure the fourth seed in the Western Conference with a win against the Chicago Blackhawks. Normally beating the Blackhawks would be a daunting task, but that won’t be the case tonight.
Chicago has already won the Presidents’ Trophy and will play without most of their best players, including Patrick Kane, Marian Hossa, Jonathan Toews, Duncan Keith, Patrick Sharp, Brandon Saad, and Niklas Hjalmarsson, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.
27-year-old goaltender Carter Hutton will be making his NHL debut as Chicago’s starter.
The Blackhawks decision hurts the Los Angeles Kings and San Jose Sharks in their quest to close the one-point gap between them and the St. Louis Blues.
“We’re worried about our own business,” Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville said. “And I think we’ve got to give some credit to the lineup that’s playing tonight. Hopefully they surprise everybody.”
This is Chicago’s sixth contest in just nine days and it’s a one-game road trip. The star players that will not be in the lineup got to stay in Chicago.
For his part, Sharks coach Todd McLellan seems to respect Quenneville’s decision.
“They’ve earned the right to do whatever they want to do with their team,” McLellan said in a San Jose Mercury News report.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 11
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)