Apr 26, 2013, 11:06 AM EST
The stage is set for Minnesota’s game on Friday against the Oilers — get a win, get into the playoffs.
“It’s an important time for us as a team and, I think, as an organization,” Zach Parise told the Minnesota Star-Tribune. “We really need to play our best hockey right now. ’’
The Wild head into Friday’s action sitting eighth in the West with 53 points, one back of seventh-place Detroit and tied with Columbus, though ahead of the Blue Jackets in the standings thanks to games played.
(Minnesota has two games left, including Saturday’s season finale against Colorado; Columbus plays Nashville in its season finale, also on Saturday.)
If they’re going to get to the postseason for the first time since 2008, the Wild will need to break out of a month-long slump. Minnesota is just 4-7-1 in the month of April and has had a difficult time scoring goals, getting shut out three times while scoring two goals or fewer nine times.
Of course, one of those nine times was a 2-1 win over Los Angeles on Tuesday, a huge momentum builder as the Wild now look to take maximum points from the Oilers an Avs in the final two games of the year.
A pair of wins would get the Wild 57 points, giving them a slim hope of moving all the way up to sixth in the West.
For now, though, all the club is focused on is getting into the dance.
“[Friday’s game] is just as big as the last game,” said forward Kyle Brodziak. “We’ve got to get back on the horse and go back at it.”
- Video: Luongo (eventually) leaves game after taking puck to neck 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 45
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)