Apr 26, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
The stage is set for Minnesota’s game on Friday against the Oilers — get a win, get into the playoffs.
“It’s an important time for us as a team and, I think, as an organization,” Zach Parise told the Minnesota Star-Tribune. “We really need to play our best hockey right now. ’’
The Wild head into Friday’s action sitting eighth in the West with 53 points, one back of seventh-place Detroit and tied with Columbus, though ahead of the Blue Jackets in the standings thanks to games played.
(Minnesota has two games left, including Saturday’s season finale against Colorado; Columbus plays Nashville in its season finale, also on Saturday.)
If they’re going to get to the postseason for the first time since 2008, the Wild will need to break out of a month-long slump. Minnesota is just 4-7-1 in the month of April and has had a difficult time scoring goals, getting shut out three times while scoring two goals or fewer nine times.
Of course, one of those nine times was a 2-1 win over Los Angeles on Tuesday, a huge momentum builder as the Wild now look to take maximum points from the Oilers an Avs in the final two games of the year.
A pair of wins would get the Wild 57 points, giving them a slim hope of moving all the way up to sixth in the West.
For now, though, all the club is focused on is getting into the dance.
“[Friday’s game] is just as big as the last game,” said forward Kyle Brodziak. “We’ve got to get back on the horse and go back at it.”
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 11
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)