Apr 26, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
On Friday, the Ottawa Senators got a sobering update on the status of last year’s leading scorer, Jason Spezza.
“Not even close to joining the team,” said head coach Paul MacLean, adding Spezza was at the “public skating” stage of his rehab from back surgery.
The 29-year-old forward, who finished fourth in the NHL in points (84) last year, underwent surgery to fix a herniated disc on Feb. 1 and hasn’t played since.
He only recently resumed skating, and today’s update suggests his chances of returning for the playoffs are slim.
(Ottawa clinched a berth in the postseason for the second straight year with a OT win over Washington on Thursday.)
The Spezza news is a downer for Ottawa, a club that’s received nothing but good news on the health front lately.
Goalie Craig Anderson came back from an ankle injury and has posted a 4-4 record with a 2.01 GAA and .917 save percentage in April, while defenseman Jared Cowen returned from hip surgery to make his season debut on Apr. 16.
Then, last night against the Caps, reigning Norris winner Erik Karlsson came back after a 31-game absence (lacerated Achilles) to register two assists and log over 27 minutes of ice time.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)