Apr 26, 2013, 2:45 PM EST
On Friday, the Ottawa Senators got a sobering update on the status of last year’s leading scorer, Jason Spezza.
“Not even close to joining the team,” said head coach Paul MacLean, adding Spezza was at the “public skating” stage of his rehab from back surgery.
The 29-year-old forward, who finished fourth in the NHL in points (84) last year, underwent surgery to fix a herniated disc on Feb. 1 and hasn’t played since.
He only recently resumed skating, and today’s update suggests his chances of returning for the playoffs are slim.
(Ottawa clinched a berth in the postseason for the second straight year with a OT win over Washington on Thursday.)
The Spezza news is a downer for Ottawa, a club that’s received nothing but good news on the health front lately.
Goalie Craig Anderson came back from an ankle injury and has posted a 4-4 record with a 2.01 GAA and .917 save percentage in April, while defenseman Jared Cowen returned from hip surgery to make his season debut on Apr. 16.
Then, last night against the Caps, reigning Norris winner Erik Karlsson came back after a 31-game absence (lacerated Achilles) to register two assists and log over 27 minutes of ice time.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)