Apr 26, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
On Friday, the Ottawa Senators got a sobering update on the status of last year’s leading scorer, Jason Spezza.
“Not even close to joining the team,” said head coach Paul MacLean, adding Spezza was at the “public skating” stage of his rehab from back surgery.
The 29-year-old forward, who finished fourth in the NHL in points (84) last year, underwent surgery to fix a herniated disc on Feb. 1 and hasn’t played since.
He only recently resumed skating, and today’s update suggests his chances of returning for the playoffs are slim.
(Ottawa clinched a berth in the postseason for the second straight year with a OT win over Washington on Thursday.)
The Spezza news is a downer for Ottawa, a club that’s received nothing but good news on the health front lately.
Goalie Craig Anderson came back from an ankle injury and has posted a 4-4 record with a 2.01 GAA and .917 save percentage in April, while defenseman Jared Cowen returned from hip surgery to make his season debut on Apr. 16.
Then, last night against the Caps, reigning Norris winner Erik Karlsson came back after a 31-game absence (lacerated Achilles) to register two assists and log over 27 minutes of ice time.
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 10
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 64
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 47
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)