Apr 26, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
How many NHL coaches will be fired before July 1? You can bet on it with online bookmaker Bovada, which has set the over/under at 2.5 canned coaches.
So…who might get the ax?
Colorado’s Joe Sacco is one potential casualty. His Avalanche are on the verge of missing the playoffs for the third straight time.
There’s more and more grumbling in Edmonton about the job Ralph Krueger has done with an Oilers team that was expected to compete for a spot in the postseason. New general manager Craig MacTavish didn’t blame the coaching staff when he was hired, but might he want his own guy in there?
Then there are the bench bosses that may need a good showing in the playoffs to survive. Vancouver’s Alain Vigneault, San Jose’s Todd McLellan and the Rangers’ John Tortorella come to mind.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 31
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 40
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 18
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (40)