Apr 26, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
How many NHL coaches will be fired before July 1? You can bet on it with online bookmaker Bovada, which has set the over/under at 2.5 canned coaches.
So…who might get the ax?
Colorado’s Joe Sacco is one potential casualty. His Avalanche are on the verge of missing the playoffs for the third straight time.
There’s more and more grumbling in Edmonton about the job Ralph Krueger has done with an Oilers team that was expected to compete for a spot in the postseason. New general manager Craig MacTavish didn’t blame the coaching staff when he was hired, but might he want his own guy in there?
Then there are the bench bosses that may need a good showing in the playoffs to survive. Vancouver’s Alain Vigneault, San Jose’s Todd McLellan and the Rangers’ John Tortorella come to mind.
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 0
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 11
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 10
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 65
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 46
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (82)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)