Apr 26, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
How many NHL coaches will be fired before July 1? You can bet on it with online bookmaker Bovada, which has set the over/under at 2.5 canned coaches.
So…who might get the ax?
Colorado’s Joe Sacco is one potential casualty. His Avalanche are on the verge of missing the playoffs for the third straight time.
There’s more and more grumbling in Edmonton about the job Ralph Krueger has done with an Oilers team that was expected to compete for a spot in the postseason. New general manager Craig MacTavish didn’t blame the coaching staff when he was hired, but might he want his own guy in there?
Then there are the bench bosses that may need a good showing in the playoffs to survive. Vancouver’s Alain Vigneault, San Jose’s Todd McLellan and the Rangers’ John Tortorella come to mind.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 14
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 9
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)