Apr 26, 2013, 9:51 PM EST
The Minnesota Wild need only two points to capture a playoff spot.
It doesn’t look like that’s going to happen Friday. The Wild, playing in front of their home fans, are losing 6-0 to the Edmonton Oilers after two periods.
Niklas Backstrom allowed three goals on five shots and back-up Josh Harding hasn’t done any better, allowing three goals on nine shots. The Wild’s disappointing performance against the Oilers has also drawn the ire of the Minnesota fans.
The Wild are currently eighth in the Western Conference with 53 points, tied with the Columbus Blue Jackets for that final playoff spot. The Red Wings are one point ahead of both teams.
The Wild close out the season on the road against the Colorado Avalanche – currently last in the West standings – on Saturday.
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 4
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 11
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 14
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 7
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 35
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2