Apr 26, 2013, 9:51 PM EDT
The Minnesota Wild need only two points to capture a playoff spot.
It doesn’t look like that’s going to happen Friday. The Wild, playing in front of their home fans, are losing 6-0 to the Edmonton Oilers after two periods.
Niklas Backstrom allowed three goals on five shots and back-up Josh Harding hasn’t done any better, allowing three goals on nine shots. The Wild’s disappointing performance against the Oilers has also drawn the ire of the Minnesota fans.
The Wild are currently eighth in the Western Conference with 53 points, tied with the Columbus Blue Jackets for that final playoff spot. The Red Wings are one point ahead of both teams.
The Wild close out the season on the road against the Colorado Avalanche – currently last in the West standings – on Saturday.
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 8
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 62
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 47
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)