Apr 26, 2013, 9:51 PM EST
The Minnesota Wild need only two points to capture a playoff spot.
It doesn’t look like that’s going to happen Friday. The Wild, playing in front of their home fans, are losing 6-0 to the Edmonton Oilers after two periods.
Niklas Backstrom allowed three goals on five shots and back-up Josh Harding hasn’t done any better, allowing three goals on nine shots. The Wild’s disappointing performance against the Oilers has also drawn the ire of the Minnesota fans.
The Wild are currently eighth in the Western Conference with 53 points, tied with the Columbus Blue Jackets for that final playoff spot. The Red Wings are one point ahead of both teams.
The Wild close out the season on the road against the Colorado Avalanche – currently last in the West standings – on Saturday.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny 0
- In praise of the Hamburglar 13
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52