Apr 26, 2013, 9:51 PM EDT
The Minnesota Wild need only two points to capture a playoff spot.
It doesn’t look like that’s going to happen Friday. The Wild, playing in front of their home fans, are losing 6-0 to the Edmonton Oilers after two periods.
Niklas Backstrom allowed three goals on five shots and back-up Josh Harding hasn’t done any better, allowing three goals on nine shots. The Wild’s disappointing performance against the Oilers has also drawn the ire of the Minnesota fans.
The Wild are currently eighth in the Western Conference with 53 points, tied with the Columbus Blue Jackets for that final playoff spot. The Red Wings are one point ahead of both teams.
The Wild close out the season on the road against the Colorado Avalanche – currently last in the West standings – on Saturday.
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 10
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)