Apr 26, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
It looks like New Jersey Devils forward Ilya Kovalchuk has no interest in resting after returning from a shoulder injury.
The 30-year-old superstar has already played in four games over six days since spending roughly a month on the sidelines. The Devils won’t make the postseason after collapsing during his absence, but Kovalchuk will keep busy by representing Team Russia in the 2013 IIHF World Championships.
“It’s always an honor when you get invited from your home country,” Kovalchuk told the Bergen Record. “That’s where I was born and raised and that’s where I get all my stuff from. They’re the reason I’m who I am right now, so when I go a chance I try to go back and try my best to play hardest for my home country and for our fans because we’ve always got great support there in Europe.
“Hockey is growing overall in Russia, especially before the Olympics in 2014. So, it will be great.”
Kovalchuk added that his Devils teammate, 22-year-old forward Andrei Loktionov, will also probably play for Team Russia.
“They talked to me about Lokti and I think they’re going to call him,” Kovalchuk explained. “I think he’s going to come too.”
Kovalchuk regards 2013 as probably the worst season of his career. Perhaps the tournament will be a morale boost for him.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)