Apr 26, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
It looks like New Jersey Devils forward Ilya Kovalchuk has no interest in resting after returning from a shoulder injury.
The 30-year-old superstar has already played in four games over six days since spending roughly a month on the sidelines. The Devils won’t make the postseason after collapsing during his absence, but Kovalchuk will keep busy by representing Team Russia in the 2013 IIHF World Championships.
“It’s always an honor when you get invited from your home country,” Kovalchuk told the Bergen Record. “That’s where I was born and raised and that’s where I get all my stuff from. They’re the reason I’m who I am right now, so when I go a chance I try to go back and try my best to play hardest for my home country and for our fans because we’ve always got great support there in Europe.
“Hockey is growing overall in Russia, especially before the Olympics in 2014. So, it will be great.”
Kovalchuk added that his Devils teammate, 22-year-old forward Andrei Loktionov, will also probably play for Team Russia.
“They talked to me about Lokti and I think they’re going to call him,” Kovalchuk explained. “I think he’s going to come too.”
Kovalchuk regards 2013 as probably the worst season of his career. Perhaps the tournament will be a morale boost for him.
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 19
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)