Apr 26, 2013, 7:03 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals don’t need to agree with last night’s officiating to know they have to stop yapping at the refs so much.
The day after a controversial roughing call on Mike Ribeiro led to Ottawa’s game-winning goal in overtime, Capitals coach Adam Oates told reporters he believes today’s referees have “shorter fuses” and longer memories compared to when he played.
Translation: don’t give the men in stripes reason to remember you.
“It seems my generation, if you had a night where you had a disagreement with a referee, the next time you played it was over,” Oates said, per CSNWashington.com.
“I feel the referees have shorter fuses. One of the things that has been hard this year is they don’t want the players swearing, which of course I understand. Except you’ve been doing it your whole life. It’s not that easy to change. We’re trying to change and I understand why. But since you’ve been doing it since midget hockey, it’s hard to change.”
Added winger Troy Brouwer: “We’ve got to find ways to make bonds with referees so that they’re more lenient with you and they like reffing you rather than, ‘Oh no, I’ve got to ref the Capitals again. I’m going to get verbally abused.'”
If Oates is right and the referees have indeed been clamping down on swearing, perhaps it’s because all the games are televised live now, and with microphones everywhere.
Or, maybe the refs just don’t want to be sworn at.
The Capitals only have one regular-season game left to mend fences with the refereeing brethren before the playoffs start next week.
Washington hosts Boston tomorrow night.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 6
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 30
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)