Apr 26, 2013, 7:03 PM EST
The Washington Capitals don’t need to agree with last night’s officiating to know they have to stop yapping at the refs so much.
The day after a controversial roughing call on Mike Ribeiro led to Ottawa’s game-winning goal in overtime, Capitals coach Adam Oates told reporters he believes today’s referees have “shorter fuses” and longer memories compared to when he played.
Translation: don’t give the men in stripes reason to remember you.
“It seems my generation, if you had a night where you had a disagreement with a referee, the next time you played it was over,” Oates said, per CSNWashington.com.
“I feel the referees have shorter fuses. One of the things that has been hard this year is they don’t want the players swearing, which of course I understand. Except you’ve been doing it your whole life. It’s not that easy to change. We’re trying to change and I understand why. But since you’ve been doing it since midget hockey, it’s hard to change.”
Added winger Troy Brouwer: “We’ve got to find ways to make bonds with referees so that they’re more lenient with you and they like reffing you rather than, ‘Oh no, I’ve got to ref the Capitals again. I’m going to get verbally abused.'”
If Oates is right and the referees have indeed been clamping down on swearing, perhaps it’s because all the games are televised live now, and with microphones everywhere.
Or, maybe the refs just don’t want to be sworn at.
The Capitals only have one regular-season game left to mend fences with the refereeing brethren before the playoffs start next week.
Washington hosts Boston tomorrow night.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 36
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)