Apr 26, 2013, 8:05 AM EST
NBCSN’s ongoing coverage of the 2013 campaign will continue tonight when the Chicago Blackhawks host the Calgary Flames at the United Center at 8:30 p.m. ET. In addition to NBCSN, you can also watch the game online.
The Flames won’t just be finishing up their fourth straight season without a playoff berth on Friday, they will be finalizing the end of an era.
In 2003-04 Miikka Kiprusoff broke out and led the sixth-seed Flames all the way to the Stanley Cup finals before ultimately losing to the Tampa Bay Lightning. Since then, Calgary hasn’t been able to win a postseason series.
Things couldn’t be more different for the Chicago Blackhawks. The Patrick Kane/Jonathan Toews era is still young, but it’s already led to one Stanley Cup championship. This season they captured the Presidents’ Trophy by a comfortable margin and now have their sights on bigger prizes.
The question going into tonight’s game is if the Blackhawks will prevent any of their top players from participating as they try to find a balance between giving some veterans a breather and maintaining momentum going into the playoffs.
As it happens, this game has more meaning for Calgary because a loss might result in them getting a better draft position. That being said, Calgary has won six of their last 10 games, so they haven’t exactly been tanking.
Top scorers: CGY – Mike Cammalleri (13-19-32, 43 GP) | CHI – Kane (22-32-54, 46 GP)
Calgary – Forwards: Steve Begin (upper body), Curtis Glencross (knee), Alex Tanguay (knee) Defensemen: Derek Smith (upper body)
Chicago – Forwards: Dave Bolland (groin) Goaltenders: Ray Emery (lower body)
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 38
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)