Apr 26, 2013, 11:55 PM EDT
Future Hall-of-Fame goalie Martin Brodeur will watch the New Jersey Devils’ season finale against the New York Rangers from the bench Saturday at Madison Square Garden.
“It would’ve been fun to have that challenge. But at the end of the day it doesn’t really mean anything for us. It’s still playoff position for them,” Brodeur told The Star-Ledger.
“If it meant something, I was going to play, but it doesn’t.
“Getting booed for two hours for no reason, I don’t know if I was really up for it. If it meant something, I didn’t mind.”
The Devils, last year’s Eastern Conference champions and Stanley Cup finalists, will not compete in the 2013 playoffs.
With that in mind, there is the prospect of change to the Devils’ roster in the off-season. The 40-year-old Brodeur will be watching what happens in New Jersey, particularly when it comes to unrestricted free agents who may not be coming back for 2013-14.
The Rangers, however, are heading to the playoffs.
They currently sit eighth in the East, and could be looking at a potential first-round match-up against the Pittsburgh Penguins, the top team in the conference.
The Rangers do also have a chance to finish as high as sixth in the conference, which would pit them against the red-hot Washington Capitals.
“We’re still playing in our home barn, our fans are there,” Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh told ESPN New York.
“It’s our last game of the regular season and we still have a chance to move up in the standings, depending on how teams shake out. We’re just gonna approach it like another huge two points, which it is, and try to get another win on home ice.”
Sep 20, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Experimentation process has begun as team looks for secondary scoring.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Stars searching for a suitable No. 2 behind Kari Lehtonen.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
After playing in just 16 games in 2013-14, he’s looking to be a contributor this season.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Undrafted defenseman looking to make an impression at camp.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Bob Suter was a defenseman on the “Miracle on Ice” team.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
That usually doesn’t end well, but this might be an exception.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He suffered three concussions in under a year.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Greg Sherman stayed on as his assistant.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
He’s not the only member of the Ducks that’s hurting.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Held out of Kings’ on-ice activities on Friday.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
“We’re a cap team now, despite us being in the bottom five of the league in ticket revenue.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“We have two NHL centermen right now,” said Dallas Eakins.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Just like they did last year.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
But most of them wouldn’t have gone public with the negotiations.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 9
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 29
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)