Apr 26, 2013, 11:55 PM EST
Future Hall-of-Fame goalie Martin Brodeur will watch the New Jersey Devils’ season finale against the New York Rangers from the bench Saturday at Madison Square Garden.
“It would’ve been fun to have that challenge. But at the end of the day it doesn’t really mean anything for us. It’s still playoff position for them,” Brodeur told The Star-Ledger.
“If it meant something, I was going to play, but it doesn’t.
“Getting booed for two hours for no reason, I don’t know if I was really up for it. If it meant something, I didn’t mind.”
The Devils, last year’s Eastern Conference champions and Stanley Cup finalists, will not compete in the 2013 playoffs.
With that in mind, there is the prospect of change to the Devils’ roster in the off-season. The 40-year-old Brodeur will be watching what happens in New Jersey, particularly when it comes to unrestricted free agents who may not be coming back for 2013-14.
The Rangers, however, are heading to the playoffs.
They currently sit eighth in the East, and could be looking at a potential first-round match-up against the Pittsburgh Penguins, the top team in the conference.
The Rangers do also have a chance to finish as high as sixth in the conference, which would pit them against the red-hot Washington Capitals.
“We’re still playing in our home barn, our fans are there,” Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh told ESPN New York.
“It’s our last game of the regular season and we still have a chance to move up in the standings, depending on how teams shake out. We’re just gonna approach it like another huge two points, which it is, and try to get another win on home ice.”
Mar 5, 2015, 9:46 AM EST
May not be a good sign regarding Michael Latta.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:18 AM EST
J.T. Brown is banged up.
Mar 5, 2015, 8:35 AM EST
Mar 5, 2015, 1:47 AM EST
Four straight wins for Anaheim.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 AM EST
Fighting for tops in the Metropolitan Division.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:19 AM EST
What a roll he and the Sens are on.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:36 PM EST
He’s been consistently putting the puck in the net at the NHL level since 1996.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
What better way to make an impression on new teammates.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
Mar 4, 2015, 9:49 PM EST
Big Buff out could be a Big Loss for Winnipeg.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:26 PM EST
Good news for NYR.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:48 PM EST
Big Buff doing Big Buff things.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 PM EST
Also, for causing “significant injury.”
Mar 4, 2015, 7:23 PM EST
8 p.m. ET, on NBCSN
Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST
“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”
Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”
Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
An Original Six matchup at the Joe.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST
Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:32 PM EST
Hurt it in practice.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)