Apr 26, 2013, 11:55 PM EST
Future Hall-of-Fame goalie Martin Brodeur will watch the New Jersey Devils’ season finale against the New York Rangers from the bench Saturday at Madison Square Garden.
“It would’ve been fun to have that challenge. But at the end of the day it doesn’t really mean anything for us. It’s still playoff position for them,” Brodeur told The Star-Ledger.
“If it meant something, I was going to play, but it doesn’t.
“Getting booed for two hours for no reason, I don’t know if I was really up for it. If it meant something, I didn’t mind.”
The Devils, last year’s Eastern Conference champions and Stanley Cup finalists, will not compete in the 2013 playoffs.
With that in mind, there is the prospect of change to the Devils’ roster in the off-season. The 40-year-old Brodeur will be watching what happens in New Jersey, particularly when it comes to unrestricted free agents who may not be coming back for 2013-14.
The Rangers, however, are heading to the playoffs.
They currently sit eighth in the East, and could be looking at a potential first-round match-up against the Pittsburgh Penguins, the top team in the conference.
The Rangers do also have a chance to finish as high as sixth in the conference, which would pit them against the red-hot Washington Capitals.
“We’re still playing in our home barn, our fans are there,” Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh told ESPN New York.
“It’s our last game of the regular season and we still have a chance to move up in the standings, depending on how teams shake out. We’re just gonna approach it like another huge two points, which it is, and try to get another win on home ice.”
Dec 11, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
Dec 11, 2013, 9:07 PM EST
Not a big deal to him, though.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:43 PM EST
Rivalry Night starts with a bang.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:07 PM EST
“I’m sure it’s going to be up there. It’s going to be steep.”
Dec 11, 2013, 7:48 PM EST
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Tampa Bay-Washington game.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:28 PM EST
“I’m not too worried about someone coming after me.”
Dec 11, 2013, 6:48 PM EST
Physical defenseman was 10th overall pick in his draft class.
Dec 11, 2013, 6:02 PM EST
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Carolina-Edmonton game.
Dec 11, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
Only five others have done it before.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:45 PM EST
Petr Mrazek called up from the AHL.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:33 PM EST
It wasn’t plywood. Come on, people.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:55 PM EST
Injury is “coming along slower than we anticipated,” according to coach Noel.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
“This is not a full body check in which contact to the head was unavoidable,” ruled Brendan Shanahan.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:18 PM EST
Chicago is once again leading the NHL in attendance.
Dec 11, 2013, 2:19 PM EST
Tough call for Glen Sather.
Dec 11, 2013, 2:07 PM EST
All the latest from the crease…
Dec 11, 2013, 1:25 PM EST
37.1 per game, to be exact.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:13 PM EST
Veteran winger might require surgery.
The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more!
Dec 11, 2013, 12:59 PM EST
Also, has John Tortorella really changed?
Dec 11, 2013, 12:41 PM EST
He’ll undergo tests when the team returns to Detroit.
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 14
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)