Apr 26, 2013, 6:57 AM EDT
With 11 games going on and plenty of teams clinching playoff spots or kissing their dreams goodbye on Thursday, it might be tough to follow everything that happened. Never fear, though, because PHT has you covered.
East playoff picture
- The New York Rangers clinched their playoff berth, but it wasn’t easy; they squeaked by the Carolina Hurricanes 4-3 in OT thanks to a Ryan Callahan game-winner. (Read more about it here.)
- The Ottawa Senators faced plenty of opposition from the Washington Capitals as well, yet they managed to take a 2-1 OT victory in Erik Karlsson‘s impressive return.
- That Senators victory mathematically eliminated the Winnipeg Jets, who lost a 4-2 game to the Montreal Canadiens.
- The Habs couldn’t gain ground on the Boston Bruins for the Northeast Division crown because the B’s beat the Tampa Bay Lightning 2-0.
- The East’s top eight has been settled. Now the teams just need to jostle for position. Here’s what the playoffs would look like if the season ended today instead of Sunday:
(X = spot clinched, Y = division title clinched, Z = conference and division title clinched.)
West playoff picture
- No one in the West clinched on Thursday. The Dallas Stars joined the ranks of the mathematically eliminated, however.
- The Minnesota Wild idly watched the Detroit Red Wings beat the Nashville Predators 5-2 and the Columbus Blue Jackets edged the Stars 3-1.
- With that, the Red Wings only need a single point against the Stars on Saturday to clinch a spot, even if Columbus wins against Nashville on that same day. If the Blue Jackets win that game, the Wild could still make the playoffs by winning one of their two remaining games or by picking up two points in whatever fashion. (Read more about the ins and outs here.)
- More of a visual learner? Look at the West standings:
(P = Presidents’ Trophy. How fancy.)
- Finally, the Florida Panthers lost their way to the worst record in the NHL, guaranteed. That gives them a 25 percent chance to win the 2013 draft lottery. It doesn’t look like that will stop other teams from tanking, however, as almost everyone laid an egg on Thursday.
- This post looks at the NHL’s bottom 10, but let’s keep it simple with a glance at the bottom six since Calgary is tied with Carolina points-wise:
(Sadly NHL.com doesn’t have “W = Worst.”)
Aug 21, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
He’ll have a battle to make the NHL next season.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
He died in the plane crash that killed the Lokomotiv Yaroslavl team in 2011.
Aug 21, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
The NHL changed the process for the Draft Lottery on Wednesday.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
We know it’s not surprising, but just go along with it.
Aug 21, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
A Stanley Cup and a Conn Smythe in separate years is a nice legacy.
Aug 21, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
No one scored more Pens goals than he did the past three seasons.
Aug 21, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Call it an audition if you want.
Aug 21, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
“He has instructed me to do all I can to facilitate a return to the Twin Cities.”
Aug 21, 2014, 2:04 PM EDT
He was quite good.
Aug 21, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
“Nor is he very smart to have made untrue defamatory statements such as these.”
Aug 21, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT
“I talked with Todd today, and he never mentioned anything about captains or assistant captains.”
Aug 21, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
All the first-time NHL head coach has to do is get Pittsburgh to the promised land. No biggie.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Or until a successor is found.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT
The 23-year-old defenseman may get a real shot this season.
Aug 21, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They were teammates in Calgary for two seasons.
Aug 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
The pressure is on Sid and Geno now after a summer of change.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
And it was all The Great One’s idea.
Aug 20, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
He can be an unrestricted free agent next summer.
Aug 20, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
Recovery from offseason wrist surgery put things in doubt.
Aug 20, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
He missed most of last season with a torn ACL.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54