Apr 26, 2013, 6:57 AM EST
With 11 games going on and plenty of teams clinching playoff spots or kissing their dreams goodbye on Thursday, it might be tough to follow everything that happened. Never fear, though, because PHT has you covered.
East playoff picture
- The New York Rangers clinched their playoff berth, but it wasn’t easy; they squeaked by the Carolina Hurricanes 4-3 in OT thanks to a Ryan Callahan game-winner. (Read more about it here.)
- The Ottawa Senators faced plenty of opposition from the Washington Capitals as well, yet they managed to take a 2-1 OT victory in Erik Karlsson‘s impressive return.
- That Senators victory mathematically eliminated the Winnipeg Jets, who lost a 4-2 game to the Montreal Canadiens.
- The Habs couldn’t gain ground on the Boston Bruins for the Northeast Division crown because the B’s beat the Tampa Bay Lightning 2-0.
- The East’s top eight has been settled. Now the teams just need to jostle for position. Here’s what the playoffs would look like if the season ended today instead of Sunday:
(X = spot clinched, Y = division title clinched, Z = conference and division title clinched.)
West playoff picture
- No one in the West clinched on Thursday. The Dallas Stars joined the ranks of the mathematically eliminated, however.
- The Minnesota Wild idly watched the Detroit Red Wings beat the Nashville Predators 5-2 and the Columbus Blue Jackets edged the Stars 3-1.
- With that, the Red Wings only need a single point against the Stars on Saturday to clinch a spot, even if Columbus wins against Nashville on that same day. If the Blue Jackets win that game, the Wild could still make the playoffs by winning one of their two remaining games or by picking up two points in whatever fashion. (Read more about the ins and outs here.)
- More of a visual learner? Look at the West standings:
(P = Presidents’ Trophy. How fancy.)
- Finally, the Florida Panthers lost their way to the worst record in the NHL, guaranteed. That gives them a 25 percent chance to win the 2013 draft lottery. It doesn’t look like that will stop other teams from tanking, however, as almost everyone laid an egg on Thursday.
- This post looks at the NHL’s bottom 10, but let’s keep it simple with a glance at the bottom six since Calgary is tied with Carolina points-wise:
(Sadly NHL.com doesn’t have “W = Worst.”)
Mar 8, 2014, 2:05 AM EST
Marc-Andre Fleury was busy in this one.
Mar 8, 2014, 1:11 AM EST
On a special night for one of the franchise’s greats.
Mar 8, 2014, 12:24 AM EST
This is just…sick. But awesome, too.
Mar 8, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
Played nine seasons in Calgary.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:19 PM EST
Last shift came late in first period.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:03 PM EST
Goals, goals and more goals in this one.
Mar 7, 2014, 10:28 PM EST
His first NHL start since Feb. 8.
Mar 7, 2014, 10:02 PM EST
Remember that blockbuster trade the other day?
Mar 7, 2014, 9:27 PM EST
Just keeps on going.
Mar 7, 2014, 9:04 PM EST
Happened 10 years ago Saturday.
Mar 7, 2014, 8:26 PM EST
Ottawa in a battle to make the playoffs.
Mar 7, 2014, 7:22 PM EST
He’s one of the top scorers for AHL Utica.
Mar 7, 2014, 6:35 PM EST
And the Stanley Cup, obviously.
Mar 7, 2014, 5:48 PM EST
He was New York’s leading scorer at the time of injury.
Mar 7, 2014, 4:51 PM EST
Click for the video of the NHL’s explanation.
Mar 7, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Plus five NHL games to watch this weekend.
Mar 7, 2014, 2:49 PM EST
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Mar 7, 2014, 2:35 PM EST
Failed to “turn on the charm,” apparently.
Mar 7, 2014, 1:24 PM EST
More praise for them on Thursday after previously calling them the best team in the NHL.
Mar 7, 2014, 12:58 PM EST
“I thought he was real good.”
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 42
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)