Apr 26, 2013, 6:57 AM EDT
With 11 games going on and plenty of teams clinching playoff spots or kissing their dreams goodbye on Thursday, it might be tough to follow everything that happened. Never fear, though, because PHT has you covered.
East playoff picture
- The New York Rangers clinched their playoff berth, but it wasn’t easy; they squeaked by the Carolina Hurricanes 4-3 in OT thanks to a Ryan Callahan game-winner. (Read more about it here.)
- The Ottawa Senators faced plenty of opposition from the Washington Capitals as well, yet they managed to take a 2-1 OT victory in Erik Karlsson‘s impressive return.
- That Senators victory mathematically eliminated the Winnipeg Jets, who lost a 4-2 game to the Montreal Canadiens.
- The Habs couldn’t gain ground on the Boston Bruins for the Northeast Division crown because the B’s beat the Tampa Bay Lightning 2-0.
- The East’s top eight has been settled. Now the teams just need to jostle for position. Here’s what the playoffs would look like if the season ended today instead of Sunday:
(X = spot clinched, Y = division title clinched, Z = conference and division title clinched.)
West playoff picture
- No one in the West clinched on Thursday. The Dallas Stars joined the ranks of the mathematically eliminated, however.
- The Minnesota Wild idly watched the Detroit Red Wings beat the Nashville Predators 5-2 and the Columbus Blue Jackets edged the Stars 3-1.
- With that, the Red Wings only need a single point against the Stars on Saturday to clinch a spot, even if Columbus wins against Nashville on that same day. If the Blue Jackets win that game, the Wild could still make the playoffs by winning one of their two remaining games or by picking up two points in whatever fashion. (Read more about the ins and outs here.)
- More of a visual learner? Look at the West standings:
(P = Presidents’ Trophy. How fancy.)
- Finally, the Florida Panthers lost their way to the worst record in the NHL, guaranteed. That gives them a 25 percent chance to win the 2013 draft lottery. It doesn’t look like that will stop other teams from tanking, however, as almost everyone laid an egg on Thursday.
- This post looks at the NHL’s bottom 10, but let’s keep it simple with a glance at the bottom six since Calgary is tied with Carolina points-wise:
(Sadly NHL.com doesn’t have “W = Worst.”)
Sep 17, 2014, 10:48 PM EDT
Brendan Bell also gets a chance to impress.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
A clothing-conscious post.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
His back issues present another headache for Columbus.
Sep 17, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
He has 44 games of NHL experience under his belt.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:39 PM EDT
Insert your “humongous big” jokes here.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Quite an open letter.
Sep 17, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Sep 17, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
His agent says it’s best to leave town and avoiding being a distraction.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
“No matter how much my old teammates say it doesn’t bother them, it affects them. It does in that city.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
And on the possibility of his client signing an offer sheet? “Well, we’ll have to see.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
“Justin has emerged as one of our most well-rounded and dependable defensemen.”
Sep 17, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
“We’ve been told if we don’t give them what they want, they’ll be leaving town.”
Sep 17, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Veteran d-man just turned 40 years old.
Sep 17, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Sep 17, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
“That is significantly good to hear.”
Sep 17, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
“I’ve been with the team for eight years, and I don’t know if I’ve been more disappointed about anything that’s been written,” said Pierre Dorion.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Enter Radim Vrbata.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
“I actually thought I had a great year up to the Olympic break and even after.”
Sep 17, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
“The tenor of the talks has been good, so we’ll keep going and keep working on it.”
Sep 17, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT
Yet he says his contract status won’t be an issue this season.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)