Apr 26, 2013, 12:03 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets won’t be participating in the playoffs for the second straight season — the sixth straight, if you go back to the Atlanta Thrashers days.
For some, that trend is getting annoying.
“I’m sick of going home right now and I think we have lot of guys that are sick of going home right now,” forward Blake Wheeler told the Winnipeg Sun. “I’m going to have a hard time drawing on any positives, when you’re going home and watching the important hockey being played from your couch again.
“That’s going to be tough to swallow.”
Wheeler’s been with the organization since the Atlanta days and knows what he’s missing out on.
He qualified for the playoffs in each of his first two seasons in the NHL — with Boston — and isn’t alone in postseason experience.
In short, the Jets are reaching a point where having great fans and playing an entertaining style simply isn’t enough anymore.
The team struggled mightily in some key areas (25th in goals against, 23rd on the penalty kill, 22nd in faceoff percentage), which essentially kept it out of a playoff spot.
All eight playoff teams in the East finished with a positive goals for/goals against differential.
Winnipeg finished minus-16.
Wheeler tried to stay positive in his outlook for the future, but acknowledged things need to improve.
“Hopefully, we can all look in the mirror and make a change,” he explained. “I think we’re on the right path.
“But ninth-place is a first-class ticket home again.”
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)