Apr 26, 2013, 10:41 AM EST
37-year-old forward Milan Hejduk will not play Friday as the 29th place Colorado Avalanche focus on giving their younger players an opportunity to show what they can do. However, Hejduk will participate in the season finale on Saturday, according to the Denver Post.
Although Hejduk hasn’t made it official, there’s a very good chance that it will be his final NHL game. Hejduk, who missed some time with shoulder and torso injuries, averaged just 13:01 minutes of playing time per contest in 28 games this season.
Hejduk has declined in recent years, but in his prime he was an elite player. He reached or surpassed the 70-point mark in five separate seasons and scored a career-high 50 goals in 2002-03. He also played a major role in the Colorado Avalanche winning the Stanley Cup in 2001.
He played all of his 1,019 NHL games with the Avalanche and ranks fourth on the franchise leaderboard with 805 points.
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 22
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 67
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 16
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 34
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (68)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)