Apr 26, 2013, 12:56 PM EST
Two days after a pair of Edmonton teammates announced they’d be suiting up for Canada at the 2013 World Hockey Championships, a pair of Carolina teammates did as well.
Brothers, to be specific.
Eric Staal and Jordan Staal will be wearing the Maple Leaf in May, according to Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News and Observer.
This will mark the first time the Staal brothers have played for Team Canada at the Worlds since the 2007 tournament in Russia, in which Canada captured gold.
The 2013 tournament will be held in Sweden and Finland, and will feature a Canadian team that’s already loaded up with talent.
The Staals had decidedly different outputs in their first season together in Carolina. Eric had a banner campaign, putting up 51 points in 47 games with a plus-6 rating.
Jordan was good in terms of points — 30 in 47 games — but only scored 10 goals and finished with a poor minus-17 rating.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)