Apr 26, 2013, 12:56 PM EDT
Two days after a pair of Edmonton teammates announced they’d be suiting up for Canada at the 2013 World Hockey Championships, a pair of Carolina teammates did as well.
Brothers, to be specific.
Eric Staal and Jordan Staal will be wearing the Maple Leaf in May, according to Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News and Observer.
This will mark the first time the Staal brothers have played for Team Canada at the Worlds since the 2007 tournament in Russia, in which Canada captured gold.
The 2013 tournament will be held in Sweden and Finland, and will feature a Canadian team that’s already loaded up with talent.
The Staals had decidedly different outputs in their first season together in Carolina. Eric had a banner campaign, putting up 51 points in 47 games with a plus-6 rating.
Jordan was good in terms of points — 30 in 47 games — but only scored 10 goals and finished with a poor minus-17 rating.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 0
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 7
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 2
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 13
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 19
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)