Apr 26, 2013, 12:56 PM EDT
Two days after a pair of Edmonton teammates announced they’d be suiting up for Canada at the 2013 World Hockey Championships, a pair of Carolina teammates did as well.
Brothers, to be specific.
Eric Staal and Jordan Staal will be wearing the Maple Leaf in May, according to Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News and Observer.
This will mark the first time the Staal brothers have played for Team Canada at the Worlds since the 2007 tournament in Russia, in which Canada captured gold.
The 2013 tournament will be held in Sweden and Finland, and will feature a Canadian team that’s already loaded up with talent.
The Staals had decidedly different outputs in their first season together in Carolina. Eric had a banner campaign, putting up 51 points in 47 games with a plus-6 rating.
Jordan was good in terms of points — 30 in 47 games — but only scored 10 goals and finished with a poor minus-17 rating.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 13
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 7
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 8
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)