Apr 26, 2013, 12:56 PM EST
Two days after a pair of Edmonton teammates announced they’d be suiting up for Canada at the 2013 World Hockey Championships, a pair of Carolina teammates did as well.
Brothers, to be specific.
Eric Staal and Jordan Staal will be wearing the Maple Leaf in May, according to Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News and Observer.
This will mark the first time the Staal brothers have played for Team Canada at the Worlds since the 2007 tournament in Russia, in which Canada captured gold.
The 2013 tournament will be held in Sweden and Finland, and will feature a Canadian team that’s already loaded up with talent.
The Staals had decidedly different outputs in their first season together in Carolina. Eric had a banner campaign, putting up 51 points in 47 games with a plus-6 rating.
Jordan was good in terms of points — 30 in 47 games — but only scored 10 goals and finished with a poor minus-17 rating.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)