Apr 26, 2013, 12:56 PM EDT
Two days after a pair of Edmonton teammates announced they’d be suiting up for Canada at the 2013 World Hockey Championships, a pair of Carolina teammates did as well.
Brothers, to be specific.
Eric Staal and Jordan Staal will be wearing the Maple Leaf in May, according to Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News and Observer.
This will mark the first time the Staal brothers have played for Team Canada at the Worlds since the 2007 tournament in Russia, in which Canada captured gold.
The 2013 tournament will be held in Sweden and Finland, and will feature a Canadian team that’s already loaded up with talent.
The Staals had decidedly different outputs in their first season together in Carolina. Eric had a banner campaign, putting up 51 points in 47 games with a plus-6 rating.
Jordan was good in terms of points — 30 in 47 games — but only scored 10 goals and finished with a poor minus-17 rating.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)