Apr 26, 2013, 4:54 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets have agreed to terms with winger Cam Atkinson on a two-year, $2.3 million contract extension.
Atkinson, 23, is in his second season with the Columbus after being taken in the sixth round (157th overall) of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
He has 8G-8A-16PTS in 34 games this season, and scored twice in a 3-1 win over Dallas on Thursday night to keep the Jackets’ playoff hopes alive.
“Cam is a highly skilled and exciting player who continues to evolve in all aspects of his game,” Columbus GM Jarmo Kekalainen said in a statement.
Atkinson’s deal is the latest in a movement by Kekalainen to lock up the club’s younger, unheralded performers.
Earlier in the week, the Jackets inked forward Matt Calvert to a two-year, $1.975 million deal and, on Apr. 2, they gave center Mark Letestu a two-year, $2.5 million extension.
Letestu sits second on the team in scoring (27 points) while Calvert is fourth in goals, with nine.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)