Apr 26, 2013, 4:54 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets have agreed to terms with winger Cam Atkinson on a two-year, $2.3 million contract extension.
Atkinson, 23, is in his second season with the Columbus after being taken in the sixth round (157th overall) of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
He has 8G-8A-16PTS in 34 games this season, and scored twice in a 3-1 win over Dallas on Thursday night to keep the Jackets’ playoff hopes alive.
“Cam is a highly skilled and exciting player who continues to evolve in all aspects of his game,” Columbus GM Jarmo Kekalainen said in a statement.
Atkinson’s deal is the latest in a movement by Kekalainen to lock up the club’s younger, unheralded performers.
Earlier in the week, the Jackets inked forward Matt Calvert to a two-year, $1.975 million deal and, on Apr. 2, they gave center Mark Letestu a two-year, $2.5 million extension.
Letestu sits second on the team in scoring (27 points) while Calvert is fourth in goals, with nine.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 36
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 8
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 9
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 32
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)