Apr 26, 2013, 4:54 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets have agreed to terms with winger Cam Atkinson on a two-year, $2.3 million contract extension.
Atkinson, 23, is in his second season with the Columbus after being taken in the sixth round (157th overall) of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
He has 8G-8A-16PTS in 34 games this season, and scored twice in a 3-1 win over Dallas on Thursday night to keep the Jackets’ playoff hopes alive.
“Cam is a highly skilled and exciting player who continues to evolve in all aspects of his game,” Columbus GM Jarmo Kekalainen said in a statement.
Atkinson’s deal is the latest in a movement by Kekalainen to lock up the club’s younger, unheralded performers.
Earlier in the week, the Jackets inked forward Matt Calvert to a two-year, $1.975 million deal and, on Apr. 2, they gave center Mark Letestu a two-year, $2.5 million extension.
Letestu sits second on the team in scoring (27 points) while Calvert is fourth in goals, with nine.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 21
- All eyes on Lundqvist 9
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)