Apr 26, 2013, 4:54 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets have agreed to terms with winger Cam Atkinson on a two-year, $2.3 million contract extension.
Atkinson, 23, is in his second season with the Columbus after being taken in the sixth round (157th overall) of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
He has 8G-8A-16PTS in 34 games this season, and scored twice in a 3-1 win over Dallas on Thursday night to keep the Jackets’ playoff hopes alive.
“Cam is a highly skilled and exciting player who continues to evolve in all aspects of his game,” Columbus GM Jarmo Kekalainen said in a statement.
Atkinson’s deal is the latest in a movement by Kekalainen to lock up the club’s younger, unheralded performers.
Earlier in the week, the Jackets inked forward Matt Calvert to a two-year, $1.975 million deal and, on Apr. 2, they gave center Mark Letestu a two-year, $2.5 million extension.
Letestu sits second on the team in scoring (27 points) while Calvert is fourth in goals, with nine.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)