Apr 26, 2013, 8:04 PM EDT
You may have read about it on the internet.
Or, perhaps it was sent to you in an email.
“It” was the real reason Brian Burke was fired by the Toronto Maple Leafs. Because it wasn’t because the team he built never made the playoffs. Oh, no. It was because…
Fast forward a couple of months and Burke, who is married, is suing the anonymous internet commenters who wrote he had an affair with, and impregnated, a sports reporter.
You can read it here.
From the Canadian Press:
Burke alleges online comments published by the 18 people whose identities are unknown to him are untrue.
The online statements claim that Burke was fired as the president and general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs because of an extra-marital affair with Rogers Sportsnet reporter Hazel Mae.
The civil suit says Burke is suing for losses and damages to his reputation because of untrue the statements and in a news release, Burke says the comments have also hurt his family.
Via metronews.ca, here are the usernames that were listed in the suit:
“NOFIXEDADDRESS”, “CAMBARKERFAN”, “LAVY16”, “MBSKIDMORE”, “TULOWD”, “LOOB”, “NAGGAH”, “MOWERMAN”, “AARONP18”, “STEVE”, “KABOOMIN8”,“THEZBRAD”, “SLOBBERFACE”, “POONERMAN”, “ISOLATEDCIRCUIT”, “KANADA KEV”, “NCOGNITO” AND “SIR PSYCHO SEXY”.
So if one of those is you…well…actually, we’re not sure.
Maybe log off for a while?
- Jordan Staal needs help off the ice in Canes’ preseason game 0
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)