Apr 26, 2013, 8:04 PM EDT
You may have read about it on the internet.
Or, perhaps it was sent to you in an email.
“It” was the real reason Brian Burke was fired by the Toronto Maple Leafs. Because it wasn’t because the team he built never made the playoffs. Oh, no. It was because…
Fast forward a couple of months and Burke, who is married, is suing the anonymous internet commenters who wrote he had an affair with, and impregnated, a sports reporter.
You can read it here.
From the Canadian Press:
Burke alleges online comments published by the 18 people whose identities are unknown to him are untrue.
The online statements claim that Burke was fired as the president and general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs because of an extra-marital affair with Rogers Sportsnet reporter Hazel Mae.
The civil suit says Burke is suing for losses and damages to his reputation because of untrue the statements and in a news release, Burke says the comments have also hurt his family.
Via metronews.ca, here are the usernames that were listed in the suit:
“NOFIXEDADDRESS”, “CAMBARKERFAN”, “LAVY16”, “MBSKIDMORE”, “TULOWD”, “LOOB”, “NAGGAH”, “MOWERMAN”, “AARONP18”, “STEVE”, “KABOOMIN8”,“THEZBRAD”, “SLOBBERFACE”, “POONERMAN”, “ISOLATEDCIRCUIT”, “KANADA KEV”, “NCOGNITO” AND “SIR PSYCHO SEXY”.
So if one of those is you…well…actually, we’re not sure.
Maybe log off for a while?
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 23
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 99
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)