Apr 26, 2013, 8:04 PM EST
You may have read about it on the internet.
Or, perhaps it was sent to you in an email.
“It” was the real reason Brian Burke was fired by the Toronto Maple Leafs. Because it wasn’t because the team he built never made the playoffs. Oh, no. It was because…
Fast forward a couple of months and Burke, who is married, is suing the anonymous internet commenters who wrote he had an affair with, and impregnated, a sports reporter.
You can read it here.
From the Canadian Press:
Burke alleges online comments published by the 18 people whose identities are unknown to him are untrue.
The online statements claim that Burke was fired as the president and general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs because of an extra-marital affair with Rogers Sportsnet reporter Hazel Mae.
The civil suit says Burke is suing for losses and damages to his reputation because of untrue the statements and in a news release, Burke says the comments have also hurt his family.
Via metronews.ca, here are the usernames that were listed in the suit:
“NOFIXEDADDRESS”, “CAMBARKERFAN”, “LAVY16”, “MBSKIDMORE”, “TULOWD”, “LOOB”, “NAGGAH”, “MOWERMAN”, “AARONP18”, “STEVE”, “KABOOMIN8”,“THEZBRAD”, “SLOBBERFACE”, “POONERMAN”, “ISOLATEDCIRCUIT”, “KANADA KEV”, “NCOGNITO” AND “SIR PSYCHO SEXY”.
So if one of those is you…well…actually, we’re not sure.
Maybe log off for a while?
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 44
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (47)