Apr 25, 2013, 10:49 PM EST
In the mixed-feelings filled world of pro sports tanking, the Florida Panthers were the big “winners” on Thursday.
With a 4-0 loss to a Toronto Maple Leafs team that was on the wrong end of a back-to-back, it’s official that no other team can out-lose the Panthers for the best odds to win the 2013 draft lottery. As was discussed earlier, the Panthers have a 25 percent chance to land the No. 1 pick.
Want a look at how the NHL’s bottom 10 fared on Thursday? Of course you do:
Phoenix: 48 points (idle)
Philadelphia: 47 points (defeated NY Islanders 2-1)
Buffalo: 46 points (idle)
Calgary: 42 points (lost to St. Louis 4-2)
Carolina: 42 points (lost to the NY Rangers 4-3, but received an uncharitable point via getting to OT*)
Edmonton: 41 points (idle)
Tampa Bay: 40 points (lost to Boston 2-0)
Nashville: 41 points (lost to Detroit 5-2)
Colorado: 37 points (idle)
Florida: 34 points (lost to Toronto 4-0)
A few notes: The New Jersey Devils also had an opportunity to tank a slight bit, but they need to give up a first-rounder soon, so it makes sense that they soldiered on to beat the Pittsburgh Penguins 3-2 on Thursday. The Flames were stubborn about it, but it looks like they’re embracing reality a little late in the game (sounds like the trade deadline). While the Panthers and Oilers (and maybe Avalanche) show that they’re true veterans of the tanking game, one has to “commend” the Predators for being quick learners with a 1-8-1 mark in their last 10.
One other fun fact: All of the teams currently in the bottom seven are on some kind of losing streak.
* – Might as well call it uncharitable in this context, right?
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 0
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 5
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 23
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3