Apr 25, 2013, 10:49 PM EST
In the mixed-feelings filled world of pro sports tanking, the Florida Panthers were the big “winners” on Thursday.
With a 4-0 loss to a Toronto Maple Leafs team that was on the wrong end of a back-to-back, it’s official that no other team can out-lose the Panthers for the best odds to win the 2013 draft lottery. As was discussed earlier, the Panthers have a 25 percent chance to land the No. 1 pick.
Want a look at how the NHL’s bottom 10 fared on Thursday? Of course you do:
Phoenix: 48 points (idle)
Philadelphia: 47 points (defeated NY Islanders 2-1)
Buffalo: 46 points (idle)
Calgary: 42 points (lost to St. Louis 4-2)
Carolina: 42 points (lost to the NY Rangers 4-3, but received an uncharitable point via getting to OT*)
Edmonton: 41 points (idle)
Tampa Bay: 40 points (lost to Boston 2-0)
Nashville: 41 points (lost to Detroit 5-2)
Colorado: 37 points (idle)
Florida: 34 points (lost to Toronto 4-0)
A few notes: The New Jersey Devils also had an opportunity to tank a slight bit, but they need to give up a first-rounder soon, so it makes sense that they soldiered on to beat the Pittsburgh Penguins 3-2 on Thursday. The Flames were stubborn about it, but it looks like they’re embracing reality a little late in the game (sounds like the trade deadline). While the Panthers and Oilers (and maybe Avalanche) show that they’re true veterans of the tanking game, one has to “commend” the Predators for being quick learners with a 1-8-1 mark in their last 10.
One other fun fact: All of the teams currently in the bottom seven are on some kind of losing streak.
* – Might as well call it uncharitable in this context, right?
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 17
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 22
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 74
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (74)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)