Apr 25, 2013, 10:49 PM EDT
In the mixed-feelings filled world of pro sports tanking, the Florida Panthers were the big “winners” on Thursday.
With a 4-0 loss to a Toronto Maple Leafs team that was on the wrong end of a back-to-back, it’s official that no other team can out-lose the Panthers for the best odds to win the 2013 draft lottery. As was discussed earlier, the Panthers have a 25 percent chance to land the No. 1 pick.
Want a look at how the NHL’s bottom 10 fared on Thursday? Of course you do:
Phoenix: 48 points (idle)
Philadelphia: 47 points (defeated NY Islanders 2-1)
Buffalo: 46 points (idle)
Calgary: 42 points (lost to St. Louis 4-2)
Carolina: 42 points (lost to the NY Rangers 4-3, but received an uncharitable point via getting to OT*)
Edmonton: 41 points (idle)
Tampa Bay: 40 points (lost to Boston 2-0)
Nashville: 41 points (lost to Detroit 5-2)
Colorado: 37 points (idle)
Florida: 34 points (lost to Toronto 4-0)
A few notes: The New Jersey Devils also had an opportunity to tank a slight bit, but they need to give up a first-rounder soon, so it makes sense that they soldiered on to beat the Pittsburgh Penguins 3-2 on Thursday. The Flames were stubborn about it, but it looks like they’re embracing reality a little late in the game (sounds like the trade deadline). While the Panthers and Oilers (and maybe Avalanche) show that they’re true veterans of the tanking game, one has to “commend” the Predators for being quick learners with a 1-8-1 mark in their last 10.
One other fun fact: All of the teams currently in the bottom seven are on some kind of losing streak.
* – Might as well call it uncharitable in this context, right?
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 4
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50