Apr 25, 2013, 1:40 PM EDT
Thursday night could be a dramatic one for the National Hockey League.
Depending on how the results shake out, the entire postseason field could be set this evening, leaving teams with the final three days of the regular season to sort out seeding and home-ice advantage.
Here’s what needs to happen for all 16 spots to be clinched:
Ottawa needs to…
Defeat Washington in any fashion, or earn a point and have Montreal beat Winnipeg in any fashion, or have Montreal defeat Winnipeg in regulation.
New York Rangers need to…
Defeat Carolina in any fashion, or earn a point and have Montreal beat Winnipeg in any fashion, or have Montreal defeat Winnipeg in regulation.
Minnesota needs to…
Have Dallas defeat Columbus in regulation.
Detroit needs to…
Defeat Nashville in any fashion and have Dallas beat Columbus in any fashion, or earn a point and have Dallas defeat Columbus in regulation.
If all this happens…
Your eight playoff teams in the East would be Pittsburgh, Boston, Washington, Montreal, Toronto, New York Islanders, Ottawa and the New York Rangers.
Your eight playoff teams in the West would be Chicago, Anaheim, Vancouver, Los Angeles, San Jose, St. Louis, Minnesota and Detroit.
What it would mean…
The Wild would snap a four-season playoff drought and qualify for their first postseason since 2008.
The Red Wings would extend their record playoff appearance streak to 22 consecutive seasons.
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 11
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 9
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 9
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 94
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)