Apr 25, 2013, 2:08 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks are still playing for home ice advantage in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs, but head coach Todd McLellan chose to start back-up Thomas Greiss in net against the Phoenix Coyotes.
“I don’t think Nemo needs the rest. Thomas needs the work,” McLellan told the San Jose Mercury News prior to the game.
“If something – knock on wood – happens to Nemo, we’re going to kick ourselves in the butt for not having played Thomas. So Thomas is going to play.”
The Coyotes jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead, then hung on for the win. For Greiss, it was his first start since March 6.
“[Greiss] really did well for not having played for so long. He had a very strong game,” Sharks defenseman Dan Boyle told NHL.com. “We just let each other down in that first period.”
The Sharks are fifth in the Western Conference standings with 57 points. They’re tied in points with the L.A. Kings and both teams have played 47 games, however the defending Stanley Cup champions hold the tiebreaker right now with more regulation-overtime wins.
Behind them with the sixth seed in the conference is St. Louis. The Blues have 56 points and two games remaining.
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 0
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 14
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)