Apr 25, 2013, 6:38 PM EDT
Many believed that Erik Karlsson wouldn’t be back until the 2013-14 season after suffering his Achilles injury, so plenty of people are surprised that he’s set to return to action against the Washington Capitals tonight. At least one player with a similar issue in his history doesn’t think it’s a great idea.
New Jersey Devils center Travis Zajac struggled to return from surgery related to his own ailment last season, and while his issue was a rupture instead of a clean cut, he’s speaking from experience. The Ottawa Citizen’s James Gordon passes along word from Team 1200 that Zajac advised Karlsson not to play on Thursday:
Donovan just said on @team1200ottawa that Travis Zajac reached out to Karlsson through a teammate to tell him not to come back. Interesting.
— James Gordon (@SensReporter) April 25, 2013
As yesterday’s post points out, the 22-year-old defenseman looks primed to come back from the injury in 71 days, which is almost three weeks earlier than a previous best-case scenario.
Karlsson’s a young star who’s in the first season of a seven-year, $45.5 million contract, so it’s clear that the stakes are high here. (It’s hard to shake the parallels to other athletes like Robert Griffin III if you’re the worrying type.)
Of course, the upside is alluring, too: the Senators get the defending Norris Trophy candidate back in time to shake off some rust before the playoffs.
It should be an interesting gamble to watch.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 4
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 33
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)