Apr 25, 2013, 10:12 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings put themselves in a prime position to clinch a playoff spot by beating the Nashville Predators 5-2 on Thursday.
It’s not a sure thing yet, however. The Red Wings’ spot would be guaranteed tonight if the Dallas Stars beat the Columbus Blue Jackets (even in a shootout).
Detroit might want to keep the Stars from finding out what this win did to their chances, then. The Stars cannot leap over Detroit (54 points) or the Minnesota Wild (53 points), so they’ve been mathematically eliminated.
Teams that suddenly have “nothing but pride” to play for have been doing pretty well in the last couple days. Most prominently, the Phoenix Coyotes beat the San Jose Sharks 2-1 on Wednesday even though their postseason hopes officially faded.
Either way, the Red Wings (cliche alert) control their destiny. Even if the Blue Jackets win out, Detroit only needs one point against the Dallas Stars on Saturday to guarantee a spot.
In other words, the Red Wings’ can’t breathe a sigh of relief just yet, but this was clearly a significant win.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)