Apr 25, 2013, 9:43 PM EST
The New York Rangers clinched a 2013 playoff berth with a 4-3 OT win against the Carolina Hurricanes in a way that seems fitting: by the skin of their teeth. It probably also feels “right” that captain Ryan Callahan scored the game-winner.
As has been the case quite frequently, it wasn’t always pretty.
It’s probably also fitting that the Rangers out-shot the Canes noticeably (38-21), as that’s been a subtle theme of the Rangers’ struggles.*
This victory greatly damages the Winnipeg Jets’ playoff hopes. The Jets now need the Ottawa Senators to lose out and they need to hold on for a win against the Montreal Canadiens on Thursday to make it.
Meanwhile, the Rangers can turn their hopes to a role people didn’t expect them to take on before this season: as a threatening underdog.
* – And a sign that their first-round opponents should take them seriously.
Here’s the Callahan OT winner:
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 47
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 42
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 14
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (157)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)