Apr 25, 2013, 9:43 PM EDT
The New York Rangers clinched a 2013 playoff berth with a 4-3 OT win against the Carolina Hurricanes in a way that seems fitting: by the skin of their teeth. It probably also feels “right” that captain Ryan Callahan scored the game-winner.
As has been the case quite frequently, it wasn’t always pretty.
It’s probably also fitting that the Rangers out-shot the Canes noticeably (38-21), as that’s been a subtle theme of the Rangers’ struggles.*
This victory greatly damages the Winnipeg Jets’ playoff hopes. The Jets now need the Ottawa Senators to lose out and they need to hold on for a win against the Montreal Canadiens on Thursday to make it.
Meanwhile, the Rangers can turn their hopes to a role people didn’t expect them to take on before this season: as a threatening underdog.
* – And a sign that their first-round opponents should take them seriously.
Here’s the Callahan OT winner:
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)