Apr 25, 2013, 9:43 PM EDT
The New York Rangers clinched a 2013 playoff berth with a 4-3 OT win against the Carolina Hurricanes in a way that seems fitting: by the skin of their teeth. It probably also feels “right” that captain Ryan Callahan scored the game-winner.
As has been the case quite frequently, it wasn’t always pretty.
It’s probably also fitting that the Rangers out-shot the Canes noticeably (38-21), as that’s been a subtle theme of the Rangers’ struggles.*
This victory greatly damages the Winnipeg Jets’ playoff hopes. The Jets now need the Ottawa Senators to lose out and they need to hold on for a win against the Montreal Canadiens on Thursday to make it.
Meanwhile, the Rangers can turn their hopes to a role people didn’t expect them to take on before this season: as a threatening underdog.
* – And a sign that their first-round opponents should take them seriously.
Here’s the Callahan OT winner:
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 27
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)