Apr 25, 2013, 9:43 PM EDT
The New York Rangers clinched a 2013 playoff berth with a 4-3 OT win against the Carolina Hurricanes in a way that seems fitting: by the skin of their teeth. It probably also feels “right” that captain Ryan Callahan scored the game-winner.
As has been the case quite frequently, it wasn’t always pretty.
It’s probably also fitting that the Rangers out-shot the Canes noticeably (38-21), as that’s been a subtle theme of the Rangers’ struggles.*
This victory greatly damages the Winnipeg Jets’ playoff hopes. The Jets now need the Ottawa Senators to lose out and they need to hold on for a win against the Montreal Canadiens on Thursday to make it.
Meanwhile, the Rangers can turn their hopes to a role people didn’t expect them to take on before this season: as a threatening underdog.
* – And a sign that their first-round opponents should take them seriously.
Here’s the Callahan OT winner:
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 5
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 10
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 80
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (80)