Apr 25, 2013, 7:15 AM EDT
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Who would the Ottawa Senators like to face in the first round of the 2013 playoffs? (Ottawa Citizen)
The New York Islanders have ended their postseason drought with time to spare, but they still have things to play for in their final two games. (Newsday)
There’s a debate in Edmonton about whether Wayne Gretzky’s statue should be moved to the new Rexall Place when the Oilers start playing there, or if it should remain in front of the stadium he played in. That statue, because of how Gretzky’s tenure with the Oilers ended, has a history with him and for a time, he would actively avoid looking at it. Now, it sounds like he would prefer to see it move with the team. (Edmonton Sun)
Speaking of the Predators, they have signed 20-year-old forward Miikka Salomaki to an entry-level deal. The 2011 second-round pick had nine goals and 19 points in 42 Finnish league games. (NHL.com)
The Washington Capitals know what it’s like to clinch a postseason berth with time to spare and then come up flat in the playoffs. With that in mind, they don’t want to lose their edge in their final two regular season games. (Washington Times)
When looking at what went wrong with the Winnipeg Jets this season, their special teams is a good place to start. (Winnipeg Sun)
Highlights from Detroit’s 3-1 victory against Los Angeles:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Jul 2, 2015, 1:35 PM EDT
Pittsburgh? Florida? New Jersey? KHL?
Jul 2, 2015, 1:29 PM EDT
“At some point Justin became more affordable to us, and we started to lean his way.”
Jul 2, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
“At the end of the day, nobody wants to get traded two times. But it’s a learning curve.”
Jul 2, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
But reports suggest Edmonton, Columbus and Philly are interested.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT
24-year-old has appeared in 220 NHL contests, all with Nashville.
Jul 2, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT
Yes, the same Jim Rutherford who was the GM in Carolina for two decades.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:53 AM EDT
He didn’t want to make his intentions known until he was drafted.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:56 AM EDT
He was playing with the Winnipeg Jets before heading to Croatia.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:03 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 AM EDT
Some interesting players still need deals.
Jul 1, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
All the signings from what promises to be a busy day.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:37 PM EDT
Quite the steal.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:40 PM EDT
Adding some veteran help.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:10 PM EDT
“Young guns” no more?
Jul 1, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $7.5 million.
Jul 1, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT
Reunited and it feels pretty good.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
The contract pays the 25-year-old $600,000.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:36 PM EDT
Had 22 goals for the Ducks in 2014-15.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:34 PM EDT
It’s reportedly two-years, $3 million.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Don Sweeney keeps making moves.
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 0
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 0
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 41
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)