Apr 25, 2013, 7:15 AM EDT
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Who would the Ottawa Senators like to face in the first round of the 2013 playoffs? (Ottawa Citizen)
The New York Islanders have ended their postseason drought with time to spare, but they still have things to play for in their final two games. (Newsday)
There’s a debate in Edmonton about whether Wayne Gretzky’s statue should be moved to the new Rexall Place when the Oilers start playing there, or if it should remain in front of the stadium he played in. That statue, because of how Gretzky’s tenure with the Oilers ended, has a history with him and for a time, he would actively avoid looking at it. Now, it sounds like he would prefer to see it move with the team. (Edmonton Sun)
Speaking of the Predators, they have signed 20-year-old forward Miikka Salomaki to an entry-level deal. The 2011 second-round pick had nine goals and 19 points in 42 Finnish league games. (NHL.com)
The Washington Capitals know what it’s like to clinch a postseason berth with time to spare and then come up flat in the playoffs. With that in mind, they don’t want to lose their edge in their final two regular season games. (Washington Times)
When looking at what went wrong with the Winnipeg Jets this season, their special teams is a good place to start. (Winnipeg Sun)
Highlights from Detroit’s 3-1 victory against Los Angeles:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Jul 30, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
They’ll face off against Canada and Russia at a tournament in Toronto next week.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Acquired last season in exchange for Krys Barch.
Jul 30, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
“We’re moving along on that.”
Jul 30, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT
“We haven’t approached it in that respect.”
Jul 30, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
This time, it features just one plaintiff — former Bruin Jon Rohloff.
Jul 30, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Alternate captain notched a career-high in goals last year.
Jul 30, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
“Usually this isn’t the time to fight for the big contract.”
Jul 30, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
Jim Hiller is hoping to follow in the footsteps of Todd McLellan, Paul MacLean, and Bill Peters.
Jul 30, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Finnish club is moving to the KHL next season.
Jul 30, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Arbitration hearing is scheduled for Thursday.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
After not giving him a qualifying offer.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT
That’s Lacroix, when he was an assistant for Tampa Bay.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
Jim Hiller and Andrew Brewer join Tony Granato, who’s also new.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Jul 30, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
Will this all get settled before Friday’s hearing?
Jul 30, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Tell us how you really feel, Brad.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Kings captain meets Rangers fan. Hi-jinx ensue.
Jul 29, 2014, 10:02 PM EDT
From 64 (mercurial) to 10 (gritty!)
Jul 29, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
Now battling Bon Jovi and Donald Trump!
Jul 29, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
“This has been a difficult decision for Kevin.”
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (54)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (42)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)