Apr 25, 2013, 11:13 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins and Montreal Canadiens seem like they’re in a game of “H-O-R-S-E” for the Northeast Division title.
Both teams lost on Tuesday, but to mix things up, they both earned victories on Thursday. Boston beat the Tampa Bay Lightning 2-0 while the Canadiens kicked the Winnipeg Jets while they were down with a 4-2 triumph.
It sets up some intrigue in the 2013 season’s final days. Here is the standings scenario:
Boston: 28-13-5 for 61 points, two games left, 24 regulation/overtime wins
Montreal: 28-14-5 for 61 points, one game left, 25 regulation/overtime wins
The Bruins face the Washington Capitals on Saturday and then host the Ottawa Senators in a postponed game on Sunday. Meanwhile, the Habs visit the Toronto Maple Leafs in their final game on Saturday.
Boston can merely take it with three points in its next two games, but with Montreal’s ROW advantage, there’s at least potential for some drama. All three of the teams that the B’s and Canadiens will face have already clinched playoff spots but not seeding situations, so it opens the doors for some interesting healthy scratch decisions.
Overall, it sets up to be an interesting race to watch, especially since these two teams have a tendency to throw in a few twists and turns.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (67)