Apr 25, 2013, 11:13 PM EST
The Boston Bruins and Montreal Canadiens seem like they’re in a game of “H-O-R-S-E” for the Northeast Division title.
Both teams lost on Tuesday, but to mix things up, they both earned victories on Thursday. Boston beat the Tampa Bay Lightning 2-0 while the Canadiens kicked the Winnipeg Jets while they were down with a 4-2 triumph.
It sets up some intrigue in the 2013 season’s final days. Here is the standings scenario:
Boston: 28-13-5 for 61 points, two games left, 24 regulation/overtime wins
Montreal: 28-14-5 for 61 points, one game left, 25 regulation/overtime wins
The Bruins face the Washington Capitals on Saturday and then host the Ottawa Senators in a postponed game on Sunday. Meanwhile, the Habs visit the Toronto Maple Leafs in their final game on Saturday.
Boston can merely take it with three points in its next two games, but with Montreal’s ROW advantage, there’s at least potential for some drama. All three of the teams that the B’s and Canadiens will face have already clinched playoff spots but not seeding situations, so it opens the doors for some interesting healthy scratch decisions.
Overall, it sets up to be an interesting race to watch, especially since these two teams have a tendency to throw in a few twists and turns.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 43
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 66
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 14
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 73
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)