Apr 25, 2013, 11:13 PM EST
The Boston Bruins and Montreal Canadiens seem like they’re in a game of “H-O-R-S-E” for the Northeast Division title.
Both teams lost on Tuesday, but to mix things up, they both earned victories on Thursday. Boston beat the Tampa Bay Lightning 2-0 while the Canadiens kicked the Winnipeg Jets while they were down with a 4-2 triumph.
It sets up some intrigue in the 2013 season’s final days. Here is the standings scenario:
Boston: 28-13-5 for 61 points, two games left, 24 regulation/overtime wins
Montreal: 28-14-5 for 61 points, one game left, 25 regulation/overtime wins
The Bruins face the Washington Capitals on Saturday and then host the Ottawa Senators in a postponed game on Sunday. Meanwhile, the Habs visit the Toronto Maple Leafs in their final game on Saturday.
Boston can merely take it with three points in its next two games, but with Montreal’s ROW advantage, there’s at least potential for some drama. All three of the teams that the B’s and Canadiens will face have already clinched playoff spots but not seeding situations, so it opens the doors for some interesting healthy scratch decisions.
Overall, it sets up to be an interesting race to watch, especially since these two teams have a tendency to throw in a few twists and turns.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 16
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)