Apr 25, 2013, 11:13 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins and Montreal Canadiens seem like they’re in a game of “H-O-R-S-E” for the Northeast Division title.
Both teams lost on Tuesday, but to mix things up, they both earned victories on Thursday. Boston beat the Tampa Bay Lightning 2-0 while the Canadiens kicked the Winnipeg Jets while they were down with a 4-2 triumph.
It sets up some intrigue in the 2013 season’s final days. Here is the standings scenario:
Boston: 28-13-5 for 61 points, two games left, 24 regulation/overtime wins
Montreal: 28-14-5 for 61 points, one game left, 25 regulation/overtime wins
The Bruins face the Washington Capitals on Saturday and then host the Ottawa Senators in a postponed game on Sunday. Meanwhile, the Habs visit the Toronto Maple Leafs in their final game on Saturday.
Boston can merely take it with three points in its next two games, but with Montreal’s ROW advantage, there’s at least potential for some drama. All three of the teams that the B’s and Canadiens will face have already clinched playoff spots but not seeding situations, so it opens the doors for some interesting healthy scratch decisions.
Overall, it sets up to be an interesting race to watch, especially since these two teams have a tendency to throw in a few twists and turns.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)