Apr 25, 2013, 12:17 PM EDT
The comeback is complete.
That was the story on Thursday as reports confirmed Erik Karlsson would return to the Senators lineup on Thursday to take on the Capitals in Washington.
The return comes 71 days after Ottawa GM Bryan Murray said the 22-year-old’s season was done.
On Feb. 13, Karlsson was cut by Pittsburgh forward Matt Cooke‘s skate, which resulted in a 70 percent laceration of his Achilles tendon.
The injury was supposed to sideline the reigning Norris winner for 3-4 months, essentially ruling out any chance of a return for the regular season and/or playoffs.
Apparently Karlsson didn’t get the memo.
He resumed skating three weeks ago — a stunning recovery in its own right — and will get back into the lineup after missing just 31 games.
It looks as though Karlsson will resume all usual activity as well. He was paired with regular defense partner Marc Methot during the pregame skate, and worked on the power play alongside Sergei Gonchar.
His return couldn’t come at a better time.
The Sens are in the midst of a two-game losing streak and need a victory to secure a playoff spot for the second consecutive season.
What’s more, the team has struggled to score goals of late — just two scored in losses to the Leafs and Penguins — and could certainly use Karlsson’s offense. He had 10 points through the first 14 games of the year and still leads all Sens defensemen in goals, with six.
Update: Here’s confirmation from Karlsson himself, via Twitter…
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 10
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 20
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 41
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)