Apr 25, 2013, 12:17 PM EDT
The comeback is complete.
That was the story on Thursday as reports confirmed Erik Karlsson would return to the Senators lineup on Thursday to take on the Capitals in Washington.
The return comes 71 days after Ottawa GM Bryan Murray said the 22-year-old’s season was done.
On Feb. 13, Karlsson was cut by Pittsburgh forward Matt Cooke‘s skate, which resulted in a 70 percent laceration of his Achilles tendon.
The injury was supposed to sideline the reigning Norris winner for 3-4 months, essentially ruling out any chance of a return for the regular season and/or playoffs.
Apparently Karlsson didn’t get the memo.
He resumed skating three weeks ago — a stunning recovery in its own right — and will get back into the lineup after missing just 31 games.
It looks as though Karlsson will resume all usual activity as well. He was paired with regular defense partner Marc Methot during the pregame skate, and worked on the power play alongside Sergei Gonchar.
His return couldn’t come at a better time.
The Sens are in the midst of a two-game losing streak and need a victory to secure a playoff spot for the second consecutive season.
What’s more, the team has struggled to score goals of late — just two scored in losses to the Leafs and Penguins — and could certainly use Karlsson’s offense. He had 10 points through the first 14 games of the year and still leads all Sens defensemen in goals, with six.
Update: Here’s confirmation from Karlsson himself, via Twitter…
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)