Apr 25, 2013, 1:22 AM EDT
Jim Peplinski, who played 11 seasons with Calgary Flames, has spoken up about bodychecking in minor hockey across Canada.
According to a story in the Globe and Mail on Wednesday, Peplinski is calling for a nationwide ban on bodychecking until at least the age of 16. As per the Globe and Mail, Peplinski was speaking on the subject at a sport concussions seminar at the University of Calgary.
“On this path, I think we’re going to become dinosaurs,” Peplinski said.
“I’d question whether I’d have kids in hockey as it’s currently organized…I don’t think I would.”
In March, CBC News published an article stating the majority of hockey parents support raising the age of when bodychecking is allowed in minor hockey.
Here’s a snippet of the article:
The Rick Hansen Institute — a not-for-profit organization that works to research and promote the advancement of treatments for spinal cord injuries in Canada — commissioned Angus Reid Public Opinion who surveyed 2,017 adults with children who play hockey or who are fans of the game.
Currently, the practice is allowed in some areas of the country starting at 11 years of age.
The survey — the first of its kind to features fans and hockey parents — found that 88 per cent would support a national policy that would totally eliminate body checking in hockey for ages 11 and 12.
You can read the full version here.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)