Apr 25, 2013, 1:22 AM EDT
Jim Peplinski, who played 11 seasons with Calgary Flames, has spoken up about bodychecking in minor hockey across Canada.
According to a story in the Globe and Mail on Wednesday, Peplinski is calling for a nationwide ban on bodychecking until at least the age of 16. As per the Globe and Mail, Peplinski was speaking on the subject at a sport concussions seminar at the University of Calgary.
“On this path, I think we’re going to become dinosaurs,” Peplinski said.
“I’d question whether I’d have kids in hockey as it’s currently organized…I don’t think I would.”
In March, CBC News published an article stating the majority of hockey parents support raising the age of when bodychecking is allowed in minor hockey.
Here’s a snippet of the article:
The Rick Hansen Institute — a not-for-profit organization that works to research and promote the advancement of treatments for spinal cord injuries in Canada — commissioned Angus Reid Public Opinion who surveyed 2,017 adults with children who play hockey or who are fans of the game.
Currently, the practice is allowed in some areas of the country starting at 11 years of age.
The survey — the first of its kind to features fans and hockey parents — found that 88 per cent would support a national policy that would totally eliminate body checking in hockey for ages 11 and 12.
You can read the full version here.
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 6
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 51
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 14
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)