Apr 25, 2013, 5:18 PM EDT
There was another big development in Sidney Crosby‘s return from a broken jaw on Thursday, as the Penguins captain received clearance to start practicing.
Here’s more, from Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:
Crosby, who has not played since his jaw was fractured by a deflected shot March 30, received clearance today to resume practicing with his teammates and is expected to do so Friday.
That is a significant step in his recovery, although no decision has been made on when he can try to play.
Crosby is expected to meet with the medical people overseeing his recovery again next week, at which time such a determination could be made.
Molinari reports Crosby “definitely” won’t play in Saturday’s regular-season finale against Carolina, but dressing for Game 1 of the playoffs has not been ruled out.
Also, Molinari writes that Pittsburgh will “almost certainly” open its postseason at home on Wednesday, May 1 (the playoff begin on Apr. 30).
That would give Crosby an additional day to prepare himself for a return to game action — and every day of prep would be beneficial, given Crosby only resumed skating in mid-April.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)