Apr 25, 2013, 5:18 PM EDT
There was another big development in Sidney Crosby‘s return from a broken jaw on Thursday, as the Penguins captain received clearance to start practicing.
Here’s more, from Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:
Crosby, who has not played since his jaw was fractured by a deflected shot March 30, received clearance today to resume practicing with his teammates and is expected to do so Friday.
That is a significant step in his recovery, although no decision has been made on when he can try to play.
Crosby is expected to meet with the medical people overseeing his recovery again next week, at which time such a determination could be made.
Molinari reports Crosby “definitely” won’t play in Saturday’s regular-season finale against Carolina, but dressing for Game 1 of the playoffs has not been ruled out.
Also, Molinari writes that Pittsburgh will “almost certainly” open its postseason at home on Wednesday, May 1 (the playoff begin on Apr. 30).
That would give Crosby an additional day to prepare himself for a return to game action — and every day of prep would be beneficial, given Crosby only resumed skating in mid-April.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)