Apr 25, 2013, 5:18 PM EST
There was another big development in Sidney Crosby‘s return from a broken jaw on Thursday, as the Penguins captain received clearance to start practicing.
Here’s more, from Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:
Crosby, who has not played since his jaw was fractured by a deflected shot March 30, received clearance today to resume practicing with his teammates and is expected to do so Friday.
That is a significant step in his recovery, although no decision has been made on when he can try to play.
Crosby is expected to meet with the medical people overseeing his recovery again next week, at which time such a determination could be made.
Molinari reports Crosby “definitely” won’t play in Saturday’s regular-season finale against Carolina, but dressing for Game 1 of the playoffs has not been ruled out.
Also, Molinari writes that Pittsburgh will “almost certainly” open its postseason at home on Wednesday, May 1 (the playoff begin on Apr. 30).
That would give Crosby an additional day to prepare himself for a return to game action — and every day of prep would be beneficial, given Crosby only resumed skating in mid-April.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)