Apr 25, 2013, 5:18 PM EST
There was another big development in Sidney Crosby‘s return from a broken jaw on Thursday, as the Penguins captain received clearance to start practicing.
Here’s more, from Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:
Crosby, who has not played since his jaw was fractured by a deflected shot March 30, received clearance today to resume practicing with his teammates and is expected to do so Friday.
That is a significant step in his recovery, although no decision has been made on when he can try to play.
Crosby is expected to meet with the medical people overseeing his recovery again next week, at which time such a determination could be made.
Molinari reports Crosby “definitely” won’t play in Saturday’s regular-season finale against Carolina, but dressing for Game 1 of the playoffs has not been ruled out.
Also, Molinari writes that Pittsburgh will “almost certainly” open its postseason at home on Wednesday, May 1 (the playoff begin on Apr. 30).
That would give Crosby an additional day to prepare himself for a return to game action — and every day of prep would be beneficial, given Crosby only resumed skating in mid-April.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 0
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 31
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)