Apr 25, 2013, 5:18 PM EDT
There was another big development in Sidney Crosby‘s return from a broken jaw on Thursday, as the Penguins captain received clearance to start practicing.
Here’s more, from Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:
Crosby, who has not played since his jaw was fractured by a deflected shot March 30, received clearance today to resume practicing with his teammates and is expected to do so Friday.
That is a significant step in his recovery, although no decision has been made on when he can try to play.
Crosby is expected to meet with the medical people overseeing his recovery again next week, at which time such a determination could be made.
Molinari reports Crosby “definitely” won’t play in Saturday’s regular-season finale against Carolina, but dressing for Game 1 of the playoffs has not been ruled out.
Also, Molinari writes that Pittsburgh will “almost certainly” open its postseason at home on Wednesday, May 1 (the playoff begin on Apr. 30).
That would give Crosby an additional day to prepare himself for a return to game action — and every day of prep would be beneficial, given Crosby only resumed skating in mid-April.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)