Apr 25, 2013, 2:26 PM EDT
David Clarkson wants to stay with the New Jersey Devils.
He just doesn’t know if it will happen.
Clarkson, 29, is a pending unrestricted free agent with 14 goals and nine assists in 46 games. Last season, he scored a career-high 30 times in the regular season.
“I don’t know where I’ll be [next season]. I have no idea what will end up happening,” Clarkson told The Star-Ledger today. “There haven’t been any negotiations between Mr. (Lou) Lamoriello and my agent. I’ve had no decisions to make yet.”
If Clarkson tests the open market, he’ll be one of the top forwards available under the age of 30.
The fact he’s never signed a particularly big NHL contract may also make him drive a hard bargain. Who knows if the opportunity will present itself again?
It doesn’t sound like he’ll be persuaded to leave New Jersey easily though:
“What better situation could there be? I have a coach (Pete DeBoer) I’ve had since I was young who I believe, besides my father, has been the biggest part of my hockey career. And Mr. Lamoriello was the first GM to give me an opportunity.”
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 3
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 17
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 52
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)