Apr 25, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT
Flyers GM Paul Homgren has since attempted to squash that speculation. Either way, Mason has made it clear that his goal is to become Philadelphia’s number one goaltender, based on a CSN Philly report.
So how does Bryzgalov feel about the competition?
“I think it’s a great for the team when you have two good goalies on the team,” Bryzgalov told CSN Philly. “During the season, I didn’t have much opportunity for rest during the long stretch. I was kind of exhausted. You have luxury of having second goalie who can play great, too, it’s wonderful for the team. You play another goalie and he can win the games, too.”
Before Mason joined the squad, Bryzgalov had to play in almost every game. That workload, especially given the condensed schedule got to him.
“At some point during the year I was, like, empty, like an empty tank,” Bryzgalov said. “It’s a luxury when you have two goalies. A good luxury. You never know what is gonna happen. Some goalie get injured or have some bad stretches. It could be anything. If you have a second goalie who is good, it’s good for the team. It’s all about the team.”
Bryzgalov didn’t want to speculate on whether the Flyers could have made the playoffs if he had been given more games off, but it sounds like he sees the benefit of Mason’s addition.
Of course, Mason wants to do more than just give Bryzgalov the occasional breather. He’ll try to earn playing time at the expense of Bryzgalov.
“Healthy competition is always good,” Bryzgalov said, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.
Mar 15, 2014, 4:35 PM EDT
Chicago has slipped to third in the Central Division.
Mar 15, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Things aren’t going so well for the former first-overall pick.
Mar 15, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Just one of those days for Pittsburgh.
Mar 15, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
Al Montoya will start in his place.
Mar 15, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
They’re already without six forwards.
Mar 15, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT
Blue line woes hit Buffalo.
Mar 15, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Taylor Pyatt takes his spot on the top line.
Mar 15, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
He has zero goals in six games.
Mar 15, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT
He hasn’t played since the Olympics.
Mar 15, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT
Going from up 3-1 to down 5-3 makes for a bad night.
Mar 15, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
He was injured March 8 against Minnesota.
Mar 15, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
He could play Sunday against Detroit.
Mar 15, 2014, 12:22 AM EDT
Everyone else more or less lost or was inactive.
Mar 14, 2014, 11:54 PM EDT
The two teams combined for nine goals in the second period.
Mar 14, 2014, 10:56 PM EDT
Rangers buy some breathing room via Carl Hagelin’s hat trick.
Mar 14, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
A showdown between former Canucks goalies goes badly for NJ.
Mar 14, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Not that they’re without problems.
Mar 14, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
Good news for a team giving up a lot of shots.
Mar 14, 2014, 9:23 PM EDT
He’s questionable to return with an undisclosed injury.
Mar 14, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
Beauty of a pass to Tom Wilson.
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 3
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 29
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 60
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 22
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 12
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 26
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (60)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)