Apr 25, 2013, 9:56 AM EST
Flyers GM Paul Homgren has since attempted to squash that speculation. Either way, Mason has made it clear that his goal is to become Philadelphia’s number one goaltender, based on a CSN Philly report.
So how does Bryzgalov feel about the competition?
“I think it’s a great for the team when you have two good goalies on the team,” Bryzgalov told CSN Philly. “During the season, I didn’t have much opportunity for rest during the long stretch. I was kind of exhausted. You have luxury of having second goalie who can play great, too, it’s wonderful for the team. You play another goalie and he can win the games, too.”
Before Mason joined the squad, Bryzgalov had to play in almost every game. That workload, especially given the condensed schedule got to him.
“At some point during the year I was, like, empty, like an empty tank,” Bryzgalov said. “It’s a luxury when you have two goalies. A good luxury. You never know what is gonna happen. Some goalie get injured or have some bad stretches. It could be anything. If you have a second goalie who is good, it’s good for the team. It’s all about the team.”
Bryzgalov didn’t want to speculate on whether the Flyers could have made the playoffs if he had been given more games off, but it sounds like he sees the benefit of Mason’s addition.
Of course, Mason wants to do more than just give Bryzgalov the occasional breather. He’ll try to earn playing time at the expense of Bryzgalov.
“Healthy competition is always good,” Bryzgalov said, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)