Apr 25, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT
Flyers GM Paul Homgren has since attempted to squash that speculation. Either way, Mason has made it clear that his goal is to become Philadelphia’s number one goaltender, based on a CSN Philly report.
So how does Bryzgalov feel about the competition?
“I think it’s a great for the team when you have two good goalies on the team,” Bryzgalov told CSN Philly. “During the season, I didn’t have much opportunity for rest during the long stretch. I was kind of exhausted. You have luxury of having second goalie who can play great, too, it’s wonderful for the team. You play another goalie and he can win the games, too.”
Before Mason joined the squad, Bryzgalov had to play in almost every game. That workload, especially given the condensed schedule got to him.
“At some point during the year I was, like, empty, like an empty tank,” Bryzgalov said. “It’s a luxury when you have two goalies. A good luxury. You never know what is gonna happen. Some goalie get injured or have some bad stretches. It could be anything. If you have a second goalie who is good, it’s good for the team. It’s all about the team.”
Bryzgalov didn’t want to speculate on whether the Flyers could have made the playoffs if he had been given more games off, but it sounds like he sees the benefit of Mason’s addition.
Of course, Mason wants to do more than just give Bryzgalov the occasional breather. He’ll try to earn playing time at the expense of Bryzgalov.
“Healthy competition is always good,” Bryzgalov said, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)