Apr 25, 2013, 11:24 AM EDT
Flames-Blues isn’t the marquee game on tonight’s slate.
But it does have a few good storylines.
It will be Jay Bouwmeester‘s first time facing his former club since the Apr. 1 trade that saw him go from Calgary to St. Louis.
It will also be Bouwmeester’s first game since clinching a playoff spot for the first time in his 10-year career.
The 29-year-old rearguard has played 762 games without once making the postseason, and he isn’t
“Everyone’s in different situations,” Bouwmeester told the Belleville News Democrat. “I started out with a (Florida) team that was struggling a bit and in Calgary we didn’t have the success that we wanted. I’ve been asked that question a lot, but my approach every year has been kind of a fresh start and that’s what’s it’s been.
“I guess I’ve just been answering that question too long, I don’t really care any more. You never think it’s not going to happen.”
The final storyline?
St. Louis can make a major move in the Western Conference standings.
They head into tonight’s game sitting sixth, with 56 points, just one back of Los Angeles and San Jose — who have played 47 games to St. Louis’ 46.
A victory against the Flames would shoot the Blues into sole possession of fourth in the Western Conference, and put them in the driver’s seat for Saturday’s season finale with Chicago.
In short, the Blues control their own destiny. If they beat the Flames and the ‘Hawks, they’ll finish fourth and have home-ice advantage in the opening playoff round.
It’s something head coach Ken Hitchcock wants his team to capitalize on.
“Highest seed is important,” Hitchcock told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “Nothing against what Los Angeles did [winning Stanley Cup as No. 8 seed]. I think those don’t happen very often. Every team legitimately feels that they can beat the other team that they’re playing.
“But you could end up with home ice carrying a five or six seed, you never know.”
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 5
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 20
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 78
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 35
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)