Apr 25, 2013, 11:24 AM EDT
Flames-Blues isn’t the marquee game on tonight’s slate.
But it does have a few good storylines.
It will be Jay Bouwmeester‘s first time facing his former club since the Apr. 1 trade that saw him go from Calgary to St. Louis.
It will also be Bouwmeester’s first game since clinching a playoff spot for the first time in his 10-year career.
The 29-year-old rearguard has played 762 games without once making the postseason, and he isn’t
“Everyone’s in different situations,” Bouwmeester told the Belleville News Democrat. “I started out with a (Florida) team that was struggling a bit and in Calgary we didn’t have the success that we wanted. I’ve been asked that question a lot, but my approach every year has been kind of a fresh start and that’s what’s it’s been.
“I guess I’ve just been answering that question too long, I don’t really care any more. You never think it’s not going to happen.”
The final storyline?
St. Louis can make a major move in the Western Conference standings.
They head into tonight’s game sitting sixth, with 56 points, just one back of Los Angeles and San Jose — who have played 47 games to St. Louis’ 46.
A victory against the Flames would shoot the Blues into sole possession of fourth in the Western Conference, and put them in the driver’s seat for Saturday’s season finale with Chicago.
In short, the Blues control their own destiny. If they beat the Flames and the ‘Hawks, they’ll finish fourth and have home-ice advantage in the opening playoff round.
It’s something head coach Ken Hitchcock wants his team to capitalize on.
“Highest seed is important,” Hitchcock told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “Nothing against what Los Angeles did [winning Stanley Cup as No. 8 seed]. I think those don’t happen very often. Every team legitimately feels that they can beat the other team that they’re playing.
“But you could end up with home ice carrying a five or six seed, you never know.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)