Apr 24, 2013, 10:49 AM EDT
A player like Washington Capitals blueliner John Erskine doesn’t usually make the highlight reels. However, the defensive defenseman has been having a strong season and Washington’s 5-3 victory against the Winnipeg Jets was a prime example of that.
Erskine blocked a team-high seven shots in 19:11 minutes of playing time, including this gem early in the game:
He also showed off his reflexes and determination when he managed to swat away a puck that was a mere moment away from sliding into the back of the net.
You can watch that potentially game-changing move below:
“That was just a reaction,” Erskine said in a Monumental Network video. He added, “I just stuck my stick back there and hoped for the best.”
All the same, he’s impressed his teammates with his efforts. He now has 59 blocked shots in just 28 games this season.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 14
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 1
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 16
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13