Apr 24, 2013, 11:24 AM EST
Portland Winterhawks defenseman Seth Jones is the top-ranked North American skater heading into this summer’s draft, according to Central Scouting.
After Jones, it’s Halifax Mooseheads center Nathan MacKinnon in second and MacKinnon’s teammate, winger Jonathan Drouin, in third.
“These are players you can build your team around, so what kind of player do you want to build with?” NHL Director of Central Scouting Dan Marr said. “Do you want to build from the back-end out, or do you want to build up the middle? There’s no steadfast answer, so the projection is what the player will mean to the team.
“We think Seth’s game is still going to develop, as are MacKinnon and Drouin, but we had no reason to remove Seth from that No. 1 spot. We do feel Nathan will get stronger and continue to develop.”
North American skaters (list)
North American goalies (list)
International skaters (list)
International goalies (list)
The NHL’s draft lottery is set for Monday. And remember, this year every team that misses the playoffs has a shot to get the first overall pick.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)