Apr 24, 2013, 11:24 AM EDT
Portland Winterhawks defenseman Seth Jones is the top-ranked North American skater heading into this summer’s draft, according to Central Scouting.
After Jones, it’s Halifax Mooseheads center Nathan MacKinnon in second and MacKinnon’s teammate, winger Jonathan Drouin, in third.
“These are players you can build your team around, so what kind of player do you want to build with?” NHL Director of Central Scouting Dan Marr said. “Do you want to build from the back-end out, or do you want to build up the middle? There’s no steadfast answer, so the projection is what the player will mean to the team.
“We think Seth’s game is still going to develop, as are MacKinnon and Drouin, but we had no reason to remove Seth from that No. 1 spot. We do feel Nathan will get stronger and continue to develop.”
North American skaters (list)
North American goalies (list)
International skaters (list)
International goalies (list)
The NHL’s draft lottery is set for Monday. And remember, this year every team that misses the playoffs has a shot to get the first overall pick.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 13
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)