Apr 24, 2013, 1:11 PM EDT
Looks like Erik Karlsson‘s remarkable recovery from a sliced Achilles tendon is just about complete.
On Wednesday, Ottawa head coach Paul MacLean said the reigning Norris winner is at the point of his rehab where — if Karlsson feels he’s ready to come back — he’ll be put into the lineup.
“If he feels confident it’s time for him to play,” MacLean told reporters after practice, “he’ll play.”
Karlsson hasn’t played since suffering the injury in mid-February. When news of the Achilles laceration first broke, Sens GM Bryan Murray said the 22-year-old’s season was done.
Apparently Murray underestimated Karlsson’s resolve.
The Swedish rearguard has defied medical estimates to get back onto the ice and in a position to return before the start of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
Ottawa has three games left in the regular season — including Thursday’s tilt in Washington against the Capitals — and are still looking to clinch a postseason berth.
As for other Karlsson-related notes…
— Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes confirmed Karlsson will wear cut-resistant socks upon his return to action.
— He has been reuinted with Marc Methot, his defense partner from earlier in the year.
— If Karlsson does return on Thursday, he’ll have missed exactly 71 days (31 games) with an injury that shelves most people for 3-4 months.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (67)