Apr 24, 2013, 1:11 PM EDT
Looks like Erik Karlsson‘s remarkable recovery from a sliced Achilles tendon is just about complete.
On Wednesday, Ottawa head coach Paul MacLean said the reigning Norris winner is at the point of his rehab where — if Karlsson feels he’s ready to come back — he’ll be put into the lineup.
“If he feels confident it’s time for him to play,” MacLean told reporters after practice, “he’ll play.”
Karlsson hasn’t played since suffering the injury in mid-February. When news of the Achilles laceration first broke, Sens GM Bryan Murray said the 22-year-old’s season was done.
Apparently Murray underestimated Karlsson’s resolve.
The Swedish rearguard has defied medical estimates to get back onto the ice and in a position to return before the start of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
Ottawa has three games left in the regular season — including Thursday’s tilt in Washington against the Capitals — and are still looking to clinch a postseason berth.
As for other Karlsson-related notes…
– Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes confirmed Karlsson will wear cut-resistant socks upon his return to action.
– He has been reuinted with Marc Methot, his defense partner from earlier in the year.
– If Karlsson does return on Thursday, he’ll have missed exactly 71 days (31 games) with an injury that shelves most people for 3-4 months.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 35
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 44
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 52
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)