Apr 24, 2013, 1:11 PM EDT
Looks like Erik Karlsson‘s remarkable recovery from a sliced Achilles tendon is just about complete.
On Wednesday, Ottawa head coach Paul MacLean said the reigning Norris winner is at the point of his rehab where — if Karlsson feels he’s ready to come back — he’ll be put into the lineup.
“If he feels confident it’s time for him to play,” MacLean told reporters after practice, “he’ll play.”
Karlsson hasn’t played since suffering the injury in mid-February. When news of the Achilles laceration first broke, Sens GM Bryan Murray said the 22-year-old’s season was done.
Apparently Murray underestimated Karlsson’s resolve.
The Swedish rearguard has defied medical estimates to get back onto the ice and in a position to return before the start of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
Ottawa has three games left in the regular season — including Thursday’s tilt in Washington against the Capitals — and are still looking to clinch a postseason berth.
As for other Karlsson-related notes…
– Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes confirmed Karlsson will wear cut-resistant socks upon his return to action.
– He has been reuinted with Marc Methot, his defense partner from earlier in the year.
– If Karlsson does return on Thursday, he’ll have missed exactly 71 days (31 games) with an injury that shelves most people for 3-4 months.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)