Apr 24, 2013, 1:11 PM EDT
Looks like Erik Karlsson‘s remarkable recovery from a sliced Achilles tendon is just about complete.
On Wednesday, Ottawa head coach Paul MacLean said the reigning Norris winner is at the point of his rehab where — if Karlsson feels he’s ready to come back — he’ll be put into the lineup.
“If he feels confident it’s time for him to play,” MacLean told reporters after practice, “he’ll play.”
Karlsson hasn’t played since suffering the injury in mid-February. When news of the Achilles laceration first broke, Sens GM Bryan Murray said the 22-year-old’s season was done.
Apparently Murray underestimated Karlsson’s resolve.
The Swedish rearguard has defied medical estimates to get back onto the ice and in a position to return before the start of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
Ottawa has three games left in the regular season — including Thursday’s tilt in Washington against the Capitals — and are still looking to clinch a postseason berth.
As for other Karlsson-related notes…
– Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes confirmed Karlsson will wear cut-resistant socks upon his return to action.
– He has been reuinted with Marc Methot, his defense partner from earlier in the year.
– If Karlsson does return on Thursday, he’ll have missed exactly 71 days (31 games) with an injury that shelves most people for 3-4 months.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)