Apr 24, 2013, 1:11 PM EST
Looks like Erik Karlsson‘s remarkable recovery from a sliced Achilles tendon is just about complete.
On Wednesday, Ottawa head coach Paul MacLean said the reigning Norris winner is at the point of his rehab where — if Karlsson feels he’s ready to come back — he’ll be put into the lineup.
“If he feels confident it’s time for him to play,” MacLean told reporters after practice, “he’ll play.”
Karlsson hasn’t played since suffering the injury in mid-February. When news of the Achilles laceration first broke, Sens GM Bryan Murray said the 22-year-old’s season was done.
Apparently Murray underestimated Karlsson’s resolve.
The Swedish rearguard has defied medical estimates to get back onto the ice and in a position to return before the start of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
Ottawa has three games left in the regular season — including Thursday’s tilt in Washington against the Capitals — and are still looking to clinch a postseason berth.
As for other Karlsson-related notes…
– Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes confirmed Karlsson will wear cut-resistant socks upon his return to action.
– He has been reuinted with Marc Methot, his defense partner from earlier in the year.
– If Karlsson does return on Thursday, he’ll have missed exactly 71 days (31 games) with an injury that shelves most people for 3-4 months.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 32
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)