Apr 24, 2013, 8:05 AM EST
Tonight the Detroit Red Wings will host the Los Angeles Kings at 7:30 p.m. ET at Joe Louis Arena. This Rivalry Night game will be on NBCSN and can be watched online.
The Red Wings took a step towards extending their historic 21-season postseason appearance streak with Monday’s 4-0 victory against the Phoenix Coyotes, but their work is far from done.
Detroit is still a point behind the eighth place Columbus Blue Jackets, but the silver lining for Detroit is that they still have three games left to play to the Blue Jackets’ two. Detroit’s also leading in ROW (wins excluding shootout victories), which will be the difference if the teams finish the season with the same number of points.
This game has meaning for the Los Angeles Kings too. After losing yesterday, the Kings now have the same number of points as the San Jose Sharks as they battle for fourth place in the Western Conference.
Although the Kings were able to win regardless of where they played during the 2012 playoffs, they have a 18-4-1 home record this season and are below .500 on the road. With that in mind, the defending Stanley Cup champions would probably benefit from securing home ice advantage for the first round if they can get it.
So far these two teams have split their season series, but the Kings’ task might be a little bit harder this time around because Detroit could get back 38-year-old forward Todd Bertuzzi.
Bertuzzi, who has been dealing with back and leg problems, is “close” to returning, according to Red Wings GM Ken Holland via the Detroit Free Press. A final determination will be made after the morning skate.
Even if Bertuzzi is back though, it will be goaltender Jimmy Howard that will make or break the Red Wings.
“He has to,” Babcock told the Detroit News when asked if Howard can carry the team. “It’s not about ‘can.’ He has to.”
On the Kings’ side, Jeff Carter has been phenomenal this season with 26 goals in 46 games. He has found the back of the net in each of his last two contests and his goals have come in bunches this season, so it wouldn’t be shocking to see him beat Howard tonight.
Kings forward Anze Kopitar is another one to keep an eye on. He hasn’t scored in roughly a month, but has still been productive with nine assists in 11 April games.
Probable goaltenders: DET – (18-13-7, 2.22 GAA, .921 SV%) | LAK – Jonathan Quick (17-12-4, 2.44 GAA, .901 SV%)
Dec 12, 2013, 1:30 AM EST
Some kind of pace he’s on.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:54 AM EST
Dropped third straight on Tuesday.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:28 AM EST
Couple of beauties.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:04 AM EST
Taking positives, despite result.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:27 PM EST
Interesting comment to make.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:59 PM EST
Turned for the Flyers in second period, got worse from there.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:26 PM EST
Dec 11, 2013, 9:43 PM EST
That was fast.
Dec 11, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
Dec 11, 2013, 9:07 PM EST
Not a big deal to him, though.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:43 PM EST
Rivalry Night starts with a bang.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:07 PM EST
“I’m sure it’s going to be up there. It’s going to be steep.”
Dec 11, 2013, 7:48 PM EST
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Tampa Bay-Washington game.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:28 PM EST
“I’m not too worried about someone coming after me.”
Dec 11, 2013, 6:48 PM EST
Physical defenseman was 10th overall pick in his draft class.
Dec 11, 2013, 6:02 PM EST
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Carolina-Edmonton game.
Dec 11, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
Only five others have done it before.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:45 PM EST
Petr Mrazek called up from the AHL.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:33 PM EST
It wasn’t plywood. Come on, people.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:55 PM EST
Injury is “coming along slower than we anticipated,” according to coach Noel.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)