Apr 24, 2013, 8:05 AM EST
Tonight the Detroit Red Wings will host the Los Angeles Kings at 7:30 p.m. ET at Joe Louis Arena. This Rivalry Night game will be on NBCSN and can be watched online.
The Red Wings took a step towards extending their historic 21-season postseason appearance streak with Monday’s 4-0 victory against the Phoenix Coyotes, but their work is far from done.
Detroit is still a point behind the eighth place Columbus Blue Jackets, but the silver lining for Detroit is that they still have three games left to play to the Blue Jackets’ two. Detroit’s also leading in ROW (wins excluding shootout victories), which will be the difference if the teams finish the season with the same number of points.
This game has meaning for the Los Angeles Kings too. After losing yesterday, the Kings now have the same number of points as the San Jose Sharks as they battle for fourth place in the Western Conference.
Although the Kings were able to win regardless of where they played during the 2012 playoffs, they have a 18-4-1 home record this season and are below .500 on the road. With that in mind, the defending Stanley Cup champions would probably benefit from securing home ice advantage for the first round if they can get it.
So far these two teams have split their season series, but the Kings’ task might be a little bit harder this time around because Detroit could get back 38-year-old forward Todd Bertuzzi.
Bertuzzi, who has been dealing with back and leg problems, is “close” to returning, according to Red Wings GM Ken Holland via the Detroit Free Press. A final determination will be made after the morning skate.
Even if Bertuzzi is back though, it will be goaltender Jimmy Howard that will make or break the Red Wings.
“He has to,” Babcock told the Detroit News when asked if Howard can carry the team. “It’s not about ‘can.’ He has to.”
On the Kings’ side, Jeff Carter has been phenomenal this season with 26 goals in 46 games. He has found the back of the net in each of his last two contests and his goals have come in bunches this season, so it wouldn’t be shocking to see him beat Howard tonight.
Kings forward Anze Kopitar is another one to keep an eye on. He hasn’t scored in roughly a month, but has still been productive with nine assists in 11 April games.
Probable goaltenders: DET – (18-13-7, 2.22 GAA, .921 SV%) | LAK – Jonathan Quick (17-12-4, 2.44 GAA, .901 SV%)
Dec 28, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
The forward will miss a few weeks with a lower body injury.
Dec 28, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
Recalled goaltender Christopher Gibson from AHL.
Dec 28, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
Kevin Poulin returned to Bridgeport.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:15 PM EST
Has missed the first 35 games of the season.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Boston’s Matt Fraser also on the waiver wire.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Anton Forsberg reassigned to Springfield.
Dec 28, 2014, 11:15 AM EST
Rasmus Ristolainen is sick.
Dec 28, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
The Dallas forward has been suspended three times in two seasons.
Dec 28, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
Expected to serve as an extra defenseman as the Canucks visit the Ducks.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:59 AM EST
Darryl Sutter must like what he sees with the advantage.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:03 AM EST
Dec 28, 2014, 12:36 AM EST
Meanwhile, the Rangers are playing OK.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
Battle of California tonight.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:47 PM EST
Some controversy in this game, too.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:02 PM EST
Same old, same old.
Dec 27, 2014, 10:48 PM EST
Holy puck possession!
Dec 27, 2014, 10:27 PM EST
Physical game between these teams.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:46 PM EST
These teams, as we all know, don’t care for each other.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:32 PM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 8:48 PM EST
This had been brewing for some time.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 5
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 72
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (72)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)