Apr 24, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
Roc Nation Sports, the representation agency spearheaded by hip-hop icon Jay-Z, is reportedly interested in Seth Jones as a client.
The report, from Kristen Fleming of the New York Post, cites a source claiming that “when Seth comes to the NHL Draft [June 30th, in New Jersey], his family, agents at CAA and Roc Nation are going to have a powwow to see if he’ll sign with them.”
Jones, 18, is the top-rated prospect heading into the ’13 Draft.
The 6-foot-4 Portland Winterhawks defenseman is enjoying a banner year in the Western Hockey League and was a key part of Team USA’s gold medal-winning side at January’s World Junior Championships.
CAA and Roc Nation announced in early April they were partnering to create Roc Nation Sports, bringing together powerhouses in the athletic field (CAA has negotiated a combined $1.1 billion in baseball contracts alone) and musical fields (Roc Nation’s roster of recording artist clients includes Rihanna, Shakira, etc.)
Roc Nation’s first major signing was New York Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano.
Jones is already being represented by CAA’s Pat Brisson, who gave the following statement to TSN on Wednesday:
“CAA Sports is proud to represent Seth Jones in all of his on and off the ice endeavors, spearheading all contract negotiations and marketing on his behalf.
“We are always looking to access all of the resources and relationships across the agency to bring new opportunities to our clients.
“Roc Nation and CAA Sports have recently announced a relationship which could be beneficial to our athletes.”
Jones also chimed in.
“I’m represented by CAA and Pat Brisson,” he explained. “They will continued to explore that is in my best interest.
“In the meantime, my focus is on the [WHL] playoffs.”
It should also be noted that Jones’ father, ex-NBA player Popeye Jones, is also represented by CAA.
May 25, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
It was a reversal from the first frame.
May 25, 2015, 10:57 PM EDT
Maple Leafs prospect Frederik Gauthier had a big game too.
May 25, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
The first period was all Anaheim.
May 25, 2015, 9:42 PM EDT
The Ducks got off to an ideal start.
May 25, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Emerson Etem is a healthy scratch.
May 25, 2015, 8:29 PM EDT
He needed to keep his wrist frozen to play.
May 25, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
He was linked to Nashville’s playoff curfew incident.
May 25, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
The series is tied at 2-2.
May 25, 2015, 5:43 PM EDT
There’s going to be a fight for the No. 1 gig in Detroit.
May 25, 2015, 4:41 PM EDT
Reports out of Swift Current, Saskatchewan.
May 25, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT
May 25, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
They’re expected to speak again before July 1.
May 25, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT
“One bounce here or there, it’s a different story.”
May 25, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
Made his NHL debut last season, appearing in 16 games.
May 25, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
He’s eligible to sign an extension this summer.
May 25, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
“Everyone involved with the ZSC Lions is so excited about seeing him play in Zurich.”
May 25, 2015, 12:44 PM EDT
This won’t quell the Kevin Bieksa trade speculation.
May 25, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
“A bigger guy, playing a power forward role.”
May 25, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Featuring a whole lot of Dan Bylsma.
May 25, 2015, 11:26 AM EDT
Have the Bolts learned their lesson?
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 1
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)