Apr 24, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
Roc Nation Sports, the representation agency spearheaded by hip-hop icon Jay-Z, is reportedly interested in Seth Jones as a client.
The report, from Kristen Fleming of the New York Post, cites a source claiming that “when Seth comes to the NHL Draft [June 30th, in New Jersey], his family, agents at CAA and Roc Nation are going to have a powwow to see if he’ll sign with them.”
Jones, 18, is the top-rated prospect heading into the ’13 Draft.
The 6-foot-4 Portland Winterhawks defenseman is enjoying a banner year in the Western Hockey League and was a key part of Team USA’s gold medal-winning side at January’s World Junior Championships.
CAA and Roc Nation announced in early April they were partnering to create Roc Nation Sports, bringing together powerhouses in the athletic field (CAA has negotiated a combined $1.1 billion in baseball contracts alone) and musical fields (Roc Nation’s roster of recording artist clients includes Rihanna, Shakira, etc.)
Roc Nation’s first major signing was New York Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano.
Jones is already being represented by CAA’s Pat Brisson, who gave the following statement to TSN on Wednesday:
“CAA Sports is proud to represent Seth Jones in all of his on and off the ice endeavors, spearheading all contract negotiations and marketing on his behalf.
“We are always looking to access all of the resources and relationships across the agency to bring new opportunities to our clients.
“Roc Nation and CAA Sports have recently announced a relationship which could be beneficial to our athletes.”
Jones also chimed in.
“I’m represented by CAA and Pat Brisson,” he explained. “They will continued to explore that is in my best interest.
“In the meantime, my focus is on the [WHL] playoffs.”
It should also be noted that Jones’ father, ex-NBA player Popeye Jones, is also represented by CAA.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
They locked him up to a four-year deal on Tuesday.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
He spent last season playing in Switzerland.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
The Cuban-American could help market the sport.
Jul 22, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT
Turning over a new leaf?
Jul 22, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
That’s $1 million less than his reported asking price.
Jul 22, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
It’s believed to be worth $2.55 million overall.
Jul 22, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
Another buy-low bargain like Mason Raymond?
Jul 22, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Jul 22, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Also went to bat for Jumbo Joe.
Jul 22, 2014, 12:27 PM EDT
Coming off an impressive rookie season.
Jul 22, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
How ’bout that headline for some alliteration.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
His name is Kyle Dubas.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Click for the full schedule of games on NBC and NBCSN.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:19 AM EDT
Had 14 goals and 15 assists, with 209 PIM, in 2013-14.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT
Excited to join “the toughest team” the Leafs played last season,
Jul 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They didn’t make any big splashes this summer.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
That and all the links to start your day.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
He does know what the advanced stats say though.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
More depth for a Stanley Cup hopeful.
Jul 21, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
Trade rumors around the Jets star never stop swirling.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (61)