Apr 24, 2013, 6:00 PM EST
Roc Nation Sports, the representation agency spearheaded by hip-hop icon Jay-Z, is reportedly interested in Seth Jones as a client.
The report, from Kristen Fleming of the New York Post, cites a source claiming that “when Seth comes to the NHL Draft [June 30th, in New Jersey], his family, agents at CAA and Roc Nation are going to have a powwow to see if he’ll sign with them.”
Jones, 18, is the top-rated prospect heading into the ’13 Draft.
The 6-foot-4 Portland Winterhawks defenseman is enjoying a banner year in the Western Hockey League and was a key part of Team USA’s gold medal-winning side at January’s World Junior Championships.
CAA and Roc Nation announced in early April they were partnering to create Roc Nation Sports, bringing together powerhouses in the athletic field (CAA has negotiated a combined $1.1 billion in baseball contracts alone) and musical fields (Roc Nation’s roster of recording artist clients includes Rihanna, Shakira, etc.)
Roc Nation’s first major signing was New York Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano.
Jones is already being represented by CAA’s Pat Brisson, who gave the following statement to TSN on Wednesday:
“CAA Sports is proud to represent Seth Jones in all of his on and off the ice endeavors, spearheading all contract negotiations and marketing on his behalf.
“We are always looking to access all of the resources and relationships across the agency to bring new opportunities to our clients.
“Roc Nation and CAA Sports have recently announced a relationship which could be beneficial to our athletes.”
Jones also chimed in.
“I’m represented by CAA and Pat Brisson,” he explained. “They will continued to explore that is in my best interest.
“In the meantime, my focus is on the [WHL] playoffs.”
It should also be noted that Jones’ father, ex-NBA player Popeye Jones, is also represented by CAA.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:11 PM EST
His latest acquisitions Matt Moulson and Cody McCormick are set to debut Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 7:39 PM EST
Sounds like he’ll take his talents to Europe instead.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:37 PM EST
He was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis earlier this month.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:16 PM EST
Craig Anderson made 46 saves on Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 5:45 PM EST
Making a strong first impression in St. Louis.
Mar 8, 2014, 4:55 PM EST
Petr Mrazek will backup Jimmy Howard.
Mar 8, 2014, 4:28 PM EST
The Leafs have called up Frazer McLaren.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:49 PM EST
She had a 0.96 GAA and .954 save percentage in the Olympics.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:21 PM EST
He suffered the injury last Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 2:42 PM EST
He might not be ready for the start of the playoffs either, should Columbus get that far.
Mar 8, 2014, 1:58 PM EST
Guess who holds that record?
Mar 8, 2014, 1:16 PM EST
The Capitals drafted him in 2010, but he’s been playing in the KHL.
Mar 8, 2014, 12:58 PM EST
It will be his first start with Washington.
Mar 8, 2014, 12:15 PM EST
They were key players in Finland’s bronze medal run in the 2014 Winter Olympics.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:32 AM EST
The Lightning are trying to get out of a rut just days after trading Martin St. Louis.
Mar 8, 2014, 10:40 AM EST
He’s open to continuing his career as a backup goaltender.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:51 AM EST
Ottawa has been underwhelming this season.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:03 AM EST
He hasn’t taken a penalty yet this season.
Mar 8, 2014, 2:05 AM EST
Marc-Andre Fleury was busy in this one.
Mar 8, 2014, 1:11 AM EST
On a special night for one of the franchise’s greats.
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 3
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 29
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 65
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (65)