Apr 24, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
Roc Nation Sports, the representation agency spearheaded by hip-hop icon Jay-Z, is reportedly interested in Seth Jones as a client.
The report, from Kristen Fleming of the New York Post, cites a source claiming that “when Seth comes to the NHL Draft [June 30th, in New Jersey], his family, agents at CAA and Roc Nation are going to have a powwow to see if he’ll sign with them.”
Jones, 18, is the top-rated prospect heading into the ’13 Draft.
The 6-foot-4 Portland Winterhawks defenseman is enjoying a banner year in the Western Hockey League and was a key part of Team USA’s gold medal-winning side at January’s World Junior Championships.
CAA and Roc Nation announced in early April they were partnering to create Roc Nation Sports, bringing together powerhouses in the athletic field (CAA has negotiated a combined $1.1 billion in baseball contracts alone) and musical fields (Roc Nation’s roster of recording artist clients includes Rihanna, Shakira, etc.)
Roc Nation’s first major signing was New York Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano.
Jones is already being represented by CAA’s Pat Brisson, who gave the following statement to TSN on Wednesday:
“CAA Sports is proud to represent Seth Jones in all of his on and off the ice endeavors, spearheading all contract negotiations and marketing on his behalf.
“We are always looking to access all of the resources and relationships across the agency to bring new opportunities to our clients.
“Roc Nation and CAA Sports have recently announced a relationship which could be beneficial to our athletes.”
Jones also chimed in.
“I’m represented by CAA and Pat Brisson,” he explained. “They will continued to explore that is in my best interest.
“In the meantime, my focus is on the [WHL] playoffs.”
It should also be noted that Jones’ father, ex-NBA player Popeye Jones, is also represented by CAA.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
It blows the Kings goaltender’s mind that he’s not talked about more, so let’s discuss him.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He used to have that role with the Calgary Flames.
Aug 4, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT
They signed him to a one-year deal while fellow breakout rookie Mark Stone got a three-year contract.
Aug 4, 2015, 6:28 PM EDT
Jim Benning follows through after calling him a “foundation piece.”
Aug 4, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
Assuming of course Bill Foley succeeds in his attempt to bring the NHL to Sin City.
Aug 4, 2015, 4:55 PM EDT
Where should we set the bar post-Babcock?
Aug 4, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT
That didn’t work out for them.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
Yes, it’s the inevitable, perennial Red Wings question.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
MLBAM will handle NHL.com, Center Ice, Game Center Live and the NHL Network in 2016.
Aug 4, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
Can Jimmy Howard and Petr Mrazek get it done, collectively?
Aug 4, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Adding a wealth of experience.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
The skilled Swede may or may not be ready to start the season.
Aug 4, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT
He’s already made a positive impression on Jeff Blashill.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:08 AM EDT
Mike Babcock’s act is a tough one to follow.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The book has closed on the Mike Babcock era.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The squads will feature players that were part of either organization from 1996-2002
Aug 3, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
He’ll be fighting to be seen as the team’s third-string goaltender.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
He’s already improved the perception of the franchise, but will he have that kind of impact long-term?
Aug 3, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
He’ll have a tough time maintaining a top-six role though.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)