Apr 24, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
Roc Nation Sports, the representation agency spearheaded by hip-hop icon Jay-Z, is reportedly interested in Seth Jones as a client.
The report, from Kristen Fleming of the New York Post, cites a source claiming that “when Seth comes to the NHL Draft [June 30th, in New Jersey], his family, agents at CAA and Roc Nation are going to have a powwow to see if he’ll sign with them.”
Jones, 18, is the top-rated prospect heading into the ’13 Draft.
The 6-foot-4 Portland Winterhawks defenseman is enjoying a banner year in the Western Hockey League and was a key part of Team USA’s gold medal-winning side at January’s World Junior Championships.
CAA and Roc Nation announced in early April they were partnering to create Roc Nation Sports, bringing together powerhouses in the athletic field (CAA has negotiated a combined $1.1 billion in baseball contracts alone) and musical fields (Roc Nation’s roster of recording artist clients includes Rihanna, Shakira, etc.)
Roc Nation’s first major signing was New York Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano.
Jones is already being represented by CAA’s Pat Brisson, who gave the following statement to TSN on Wednesday:
“CAA Sports is proud to represent Seth Jones in all of his on and off the ice endeavors, spearheading all contract negotiations and marketing on his behalf.
“We are always looking to access all of the resources and relationships across the agency to bring new opportunities to our clients.
“Roc Nation and CAA Sports have recently announced a relationship which could be beneficial to our athletes.”
Jones also chimed in.
“I’m represented by CAA and Pat Brisson,” he explained. “They will continued to explore that is in my best interest.
“In the meantime, my focus is on the [WHL] playoffs.”
It should also be noted that Jones’ father, ex-NBA player Popeye Jones, is also represented by CAA.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:54 PM EDT
Devan Dubnyk produces his first playoff shutout.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:37 PM EDT
It drew a two-minute roughing penalty.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
No call on the first collision.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
Will shifting locales produce interesting results?
Apr 20, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
A close-to-perfect road effort from New York.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
New Jersey’s only player who went under the knife this offseason.
Apr 20, 2015, 8:51 PM EDT
He needs some help, though.
Apr 20, 2015, 7:36 PM EDT
Sleepy start by Pittsburgh.
Apr 20, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
His issue is an upper-body injury.
Apr 20, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
But will he be around to see it happen?
Apr 20, 2015, 4:49 PM EDT
Things can change quickly in the playoffs.
Apr 20, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
He did share some buzzwords though.
Apr 20, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Upper-body injury for the veteran forward.
Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’
Apr 20, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
Was he talking about the Oilers? Sharks?
Apr 20, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
Corey Crawford will sit, once again, against the Preds.
Apr 20, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Blues and Wild meet tonight in Game 3 at Xcel.
Apr 20, 2015, 1:25 PM EDT
Meaning he’ll be eligible to play in Tuesday’s Game 4 in Calgary.
Apr 20, 2015, 12:40 PM EDT
Kings have yet to comment on situation.
Apr 20, 2015, 12:29 PM EDT
Vancouver defenseman received a minor penalty on the hit.
- Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 21
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)