Apr 24, 2013, 11:49 PM EDT
If the Stanley Cup playoffs were to start tomorrow, the Detroit Red Wings would be in. But just barely.
The Red Wings scored three unanswered goals to beat the L.A. Kings by a score of 3-1 on Wednesday night. The two points vaults the Red Wings back into the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference, but only one point ahead of the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Both teams have two games remaining in the regular season.
On the line for Red Wings is streak of consecutive post-season berths that spans three decades. They have not missed the playoffs since 1990.
The Blue Jackets franchise only has one playoff appearance in its history. That came in 2009.
However, the status of Red Wings forward Johan Franzen could be in question for Thursday’s game against the Nashville Predators at Joe Louis Arena. Franzen, who scored late in the third period to give Detroit a two-goal lead, didn’t finish the game with what MLive.com is reporting as an “undisclosed injury.”
“He’s been real good for us,” Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock told MLive.com. “He didn’t finish the game, but hopefully he’ll be fine for tomorrow.”
“Don’t know a whole bunch. They just took him off the bench, or made him sit on the bench. I couldn’t use him down the stretch. I’ll find out tomorrow.”
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)