Apr 24, 2013, 3:38 PM EDT
On Tuesday night, the San Jose Sharks beat the Dallas Stars 3-2 at HP Pavilion, clinching a playoff berth and moving their home record to 17-2-5 — the best in the NHL.
Now, the Sharks control their own fate…to a certain degree.
San Jose can ensure it’ll open the postseason as the West’s No. 4 seed — and the home-ice advantage that comes with it — if it beats the Coyotes tonight (in Phoenix) and the Kings on Saturday (in Los Angeles).
The importance of getting home ice is something Sharks head coach Todd McLellan recognizes.
“That would be a nice thing to have,” he told the San Jose Mercury News.
The Sharks head into Wednesday’s action sitting fifth, tied on points (57) with the fourth-place Kings.
Both teams have two games left in the regular season, but LA’s ahead in the standings thanks to the regulation/overtime wins tiebreaker.
Getting the necessary results over the final two games won’t be easy for the Sharks.
San Jose is just 8-12-2 on the road this year and, assuming it can secure points against the Coyotes, faces a tall task in the season finale at Staples, where the Kings are a scorching 18-4-1 on the year.
That said, you can expect San Jose to be gunning hard for home-ice advantage.
Joe Pavelski, who scored the game-tying tally against Dallas on Tuesday, acknowledged the HP Pavilion crowd is key to the team’s success.
“You’re at home, the crowd is building and building and you’re just waiting for it to blow,” he said. “It was an awesome atmosphere out there.”
Apr 27, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 10:17 PM EDT
Washington shuts it down, big time.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:55 PM EDT
Some great individual performances propel Tampa Bay.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT
Game 7 is one of those “let them play” games.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Tampa Bay needed a strong start like this.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:22 PM EDT
Just one appearance in this series.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
Tough to argue with this two-way trio.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
One Game 7 and one team hoping to force another.
Apr 27, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
Tom Stillman did say “I’m sure there’ll be changes” following another first-round playoff defeat.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Expected to make full recovery within 4-6 weeks.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT
Former Maple Leaf and Red Wing appeared in over 1,200 career games, winning five Stanley Cups.
Apr 27, 2015, 3:11 PM EDT
Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis were each asked if they’d be willing to waive their no-trade clauses.
Apr 27, 2015, 2:47 PM EDT
Flames head coach Bob Hartley confirmed the decision on Monday.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Tournament will be a big one for the Flyers forward.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:17 PM EDT
Thus ending the Scott Darling era… for now.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
New building could open by the fall of 2017.
Apr 27, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Diminutive forward left Game 5 after taking a shot to the helmet.
Apr 27, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
Tournament begins May 1 in the Czech Republic.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 0
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 6
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 4
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 23
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)