Apr 24, 2013, 3:38 PM EDT
On Tuesday night, the San Jose Sharks beat the Dallas Stars 3-2 at HP Pavilion, clinching a playoff berth and moving their home record to 17-2-5 — the best in the NHL.
Now, the Sharks control their own fate…to a certain degree.
San Jose can ensure it’ll open the postseason as the West’s No. 4 seed — and the home-ice advantage that comes with it — if it beats the Coyotes tonight (in Phoenix) and the Kings on Saturday (in Los Angeles).
The importance of getting home ice is something Sharks head coach Todd McLellan recognizes.
“That would be a nice thing to have,” he told the San Jose Mercury News.
The Sharks head into Wednesday’s action sitting fifth, tied on points (57) with the fourth-place Kings.
Both teams have two games left in the regular season, but LA’s ahead in the standings thanks to the regulation/overtime wins tiebreaker.
Getting the necessary results over the final two games won’t be easy for the Sharks.
San Jose is just 8-12-2 on the road this year and, assuming it can secure points against the Coyotes, faces a tall task in the season finale at Staples, where the Kings are a scorching 18-4-1 on the year.
That said, you can expect San Jose to be gunning hard for home-ice advantage.
Joe Pavelski, who scored the game-tying tally against Dallas on Tuesday, acknowledged the HP Pavilion crowd is key to the team’s success.
“You’re at home, the crowd is building and building and you’re just waiting for it to blow,” he said. “It was an awesome atmosphere out there.”
Mar 11, 2014, 5:33 PM EDT
Because there’s a really good chance they will.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
Big development for the ‘Hawks.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
Click for the details.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 11, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
“We played well in the first game, but then it all disappeared.”
Mar 11, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
The sons of George and Brian, respectively.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Whether he does or not will impact the Flyers’ roster.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:41 PM EDT
A big defenseman from Lake Superior State.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT
Burly power forward’s in the midst of a disappointing season.
Mar 11, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
“It’s great to have him around,” said Wild head coach Mike Yeo.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
Dallas GM Jim Nill also released a statement.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT
“We need to take this one, especially if there’s a four-point swing,” says d-man Brendan Smith.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Rough season for him, to say the least.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
Suffered third straight loss on Monday night vs. Toronto.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
“The fans won’t have it. The players won’t have it. And even if you hire a new GM, there is no way he’ll have it.”
Mar 11, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT
He thinks the Panthers have a shot at winning the Stanley Cup before he retires.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
The Calgary Flames were already missing several forwards.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:12 AM EDT
Nothing’s official, but it sounds like he’ll stick with the Buffalo Sabres after all.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:43 AM EDT
Washington desperately needs the two points.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 0
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 45
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)