Apr 24, 2013, 3:38 PM EDT
On Tuesday night, the San Jose Sharks beat the Dallas Stars 3-2 at HP Pavilion, clinching a playoff berth and moving their home record to 17-2-5 — the best in the NHL.
Now, the Sharks control their own fate…to a certain degree.
San Jose can ensure it’ll open the postseason as the West’s No. 4 seed — and the home-ice advantage that comes with it — if it beats the Coyotes tonight (in Phoenix) and the Kings on Saturday (in Los Angeles).
The importance of getting home ice is something Sharks head coach Todd McLellan recognizes.
“That would be a nice thing to have,” he told the San Jose Mercury News.
The Sharks head into Wednesday’s action sitting fifth, tied on points (57) with the fourth-place Kings.
Both teams have two games left in the regular season, but LA’s ahead in the standings thanks to the regulation/overtime wins tiebreaker.
Getting the necessary results over the final two games won’t be easy for the Sharks.
San Jose is just 8-12-2 on the road this year and, assuming it can secure points against the Coyotes, faces a tall task in the season finale at Staples, where the Kings are a scorching 18-4-1 on the year.
That said, you can expect San Jose to be gunning hard for home-ice advantage.
Joe Pavelski, who scored the game-tying tally against Dallas on Tuesday, acknowledged the HP Pavilion crowd is key to the team’s success.
“You’re at home, the crowd is building and building and you’re just waiting for it to blow,” he said. “It was an awesome atmosphere out there.”
Jul 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Makes sense for a franchise that frequently favors puck possession.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Can the STAR system help reduce concussions?
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
They’ll feature a “skating-only” ice crew next season.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:53 PM EDT
The crash happened on Monday, according to reports.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Will their latest physics improvements make a big difference?
Jul 23, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
Can they make a compromise by Friday?
Jul 23, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
“We’ll see what happens. It’s a couple years away.”
Jul 23, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Jim Benning, making deals.
Jul 23, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
“Any of the perceived animosity came from the outside.”
Jul 23, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
His previously “yet-to-be-determined capacity” has been determined.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
“My style and build might be better against the bigger guys.”
Jul 23, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Won a couple of Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:48 AM EDT
Had seven goals with 21 assists last year for the Avs.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
The 23-year-old can now become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2016.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Derick Brassard and John Moore to go.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Barry Trotz continues Adam Oates’ alteration, at least for now.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s delectable spread of links.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
They locked him up to a four-year deal on Tuesday.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
He spent last season playing in Switzerland.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
The Cuban-American could help market the sport.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)