Apr 24, 2013, 4:52 PM EST
Alex Ovechkin has a message for those that doubted him.
“It seems like people who been all over me, they can close their mouths,” Ovechkin told CSN Washington, the day after scoring his league-leading 31st goal in a playoff clinching win over Winnipeg.
“Like I said months ago, if I’m going to have a couple bad games everybody will be all over me again. I just tell myself it doesn’t matter what’s going to happen.”
Ovechkin finished Tuesday’s game — one that gave the Caps their fifth Southeast Division title in six years — with another stellar stat-line: one goal, one assist, six shots on goal, four hits and 17:22 in ice time.
It was the latest in a line of performances that has him gunning for his third Hart Trophy as league MVP and his first since 2009.
Ovechkin now leads the NHL in goals, power play goals (16), shots (214) while sitting fourth in points (53).
He’ll likely garner strong MVP consideration, especially given how his hot play coincided with Washington’s climb from 14th in the Eastern Conference on Mar. 19 to third (granted, by way of winning the weak Southeast Division) yesterday.
The Caps have won 14 of 17 over that stretch and Ovechkin has scored 29 points.
As for how the Great 8 has maintained his focus over that stretch?
“Just don’t listen to nobody — fans, you guys,” he told CSN. “I just have to listen to my teammates and my coach and that’s it.”
Mar 7, 2014, 9:27 PM EST
Just keeps on going.
Mar 7, 2014, 9:04 PM EST
Happened 10 years ago Saturday.
Mar 7, 2014, 8:26 PM EST
Ottawa in a battle to make the playoffs.
Mar 7, 2014, 7:22 PM EST
He’s one of the top scorers for AHL Utica.
Mar 7, 2014, 6:35 PM EST
And the Stanley Cup, obviously.
Mar 7, 2014, 5:48 PM EST
He was New York’s leading scorer at the time of injury.
Mar 7, 2014, 4:51 PM EST
Click for the video of the NHL’s explanation.
Mar 7, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Plus five NHL games to watch this weekend.
Mar 7, 2014, 2:49 PM EST
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Mar 7, 2014, 2:35 PM EST
Failed to “turn on the charm,” apparently.
Mar 7, 2014, 1:24 PM EST
More praise for them on Thursday after previously calling them the best team in the NHL.
Mar 7, 2014, 12:58 PM EST
“I thought he was real good.”
Mar 7, 2014, 12:50 PM EST
Hosting the Isles at the Saddledome.
Mar 7, 2014, 12:07 PM EST
Click to see which teams could be most impacted.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:47 AM EST
In related news, Philly leads the NHL in penalty minutes.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:33 AM EST
But Jeff Vinik couldn’t sway him.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
It’s not looking good in DC.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:17 AM EST
Matt Moulson set to make his Minnesota debut.
Mar 7, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
It’s been a rough few days for Mike Gillis.
Mar 7, 2014, 9:07 AM EST
The Capitals have waited a long time for him.
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 2
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 19
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 27
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 9
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 35
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)