Apr 24, 2013, 8:40 PM EST
On Wednesday, Edmonton announced that forward Ryan Nugent-Hopkins successfully underwent shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum.
“It’s something that’s been nagging at me for a couple years,” Nugent-Hopkins explained. “It got a little bit worse and it’s something that has to be taken care of eventually.
“We all decided it was time.”
As The Nuge alluded to, shoulder problems have plagued him through his first two seasons at the NHL level. He missed 20 games during his rookie campaign to the same issue and was forced to undergo lengthy rehab before joining Team Canada at the 2012 World Championships.
The Oilers decided to shut down Nugent-Hopkins over the weekend after they’d been eliminated from playoff contention. It was an abrupt end to a tough year for the 20-year-old, who suffered through a sophomore slump that saw him score just four goals (24 points all told) in 40 games.
Last season, he scored 52 points in 62 games and was one of the finalists for the Calder Trophy.
Nugent-Hopkins told reporters that he would be “good to go” for the start of next season.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)