Brown will face hearing for elbowing Pominville

Apr 24, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT

Brown hit

Los Angeles Kings captain Dustin Brown didn’t get a penalty for elbowing Minnesota’s Jason Pominville during last night game, but he might still pay for the incident.

The NHL will hold a hearing for what they consider to be a suspension-worthy hit, according to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos and John Shannon.

The incident occurred as Brown was gaining possession of the puck and Pominville was going in for the hit. Brown’s elbow ended up connecting with Pominville’s face and Brown lifted his stick off the ice, thereby surrendering the puck. It trickled to Kings forward Justin Williams.

“You have the puck on your stick, it’s pretty tough to do anything else,” Kings coach Darryl Sutter told LA Kings Insider in Brown’s defense.

Brown said that he was just bracing himself for Pominville’s hit.

Here’s the video so that you can decide for yourself if Brown should be suspended:

That hit ended Pominville’s night. Wild coach Mike Yeo wouldn’t say if Pominville sustained a concussion.

“You hate to see a hit to the head,” Yeo commented to the Star Tribune.

It’s worth adding that Brown also delivered a controversial hit on Sunday. He didn’t get a penalty for that incident either.

1. northstarnic - Apr 24, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Suspension time. This guy is getting in the habit of going after guys heads with his shoulders and elbows. In other news, brown refused to face the music last night, scurrying off the ice when konopka came looking for him.

• davebabychreturns - Apr 24, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Of course he did. Dustin Brown is a spot picking, dirty, diving rat, LA fans rightfully love the guy but everyone else in the Western Conference probably wants to watch the Kings trainers have to pick his teeth up off the ice.

(That being said, watching Shane Doan feed Mike Richards his lunch earlier in the season because Brown won’t fight his own battles was entertainment enough.)

Sutter can say he was bracing for the hit and that kind of jump back is common in the league but there’s no excuse for doing it elbow first and when you do that and hit the oncoming player in the head you need to be held accountable.

• supr49er - Apr 24, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Does he even have any teeth left? 2 game minimum suspension is merited. They won’t suspend him for the playoffs.

2. youngs79 - Apr 24, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Dustin Brown is a dirty player. Not only did he elbow Pominville in the face, he also chopped the legs out from underneath Coyle. The NHL doesn’t need this B.S. I HOPE HE GETS SUSPENDED!

3. sjsharks66 - Apr 24, 2013 at 10:14 AM

He didn’t even play the puck. Instead just decided to throw an elbow. It is clearly shown on the video.

Take off the tin foil hats and blinders.

4. nflfan4now - Apr 24, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Brown def was wrong, but the league could help a ton by outlawing hard shell elbow pads – it’s like getting hit with a bat when you run into them.

5. zappxx - Apr 24, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Brown was a stationary target, but he did move into Pominville a bit while delivering the elbow. If he had used the proper Messier technique and avoided the move, no suspension.

Shannie will give him two, with the additional benefit of protecting his old buddies from the Swedish bikini-waxing team at tonight’s game in murdertown, uh, ‘hockeytown’.

• wingsdjy - Apr 24, 2013 at 12:25 PM

First off, nice trollin’ with the typical Shannie = Detroit homer argument.

Secondly, get your facts straight. It’s “body-dumping town”, not “murdertown”.

• elvispocomo - Apr 24, 2013 at 4:15 PM

No, that’s New Jersey.

6. jdrew506 - Apr 24, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I believe this hit deserves a suspension but please someone explain to me how this hit was any worse then the Del Zotto hit from earlier this month. Looks pretty similar except that Del Zotto actually left his feet to deliver the elbow, and Shanny did not even make a phone call to him.

• jjregan21 - Apr 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Or the Rick Nash hit? Or the Gudbranson hit? I wouldn’t be surprised if that diving bag of garbage doesn’t get a suspension at all. I’d be annoyed and somehow have less respect for Shanahan’s decision making (if that’s possible) but definitely not surprised

• hockeywithdrawal - Apr 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I agree with you both – so much inconsistency in what they look at. Haven’t seen it replayed much but I also wonder how Neil’s intentional head shot that knocked Despres’ helmet off wasn’t looked at. Not that Neil has a history of questionable behavior or anything. Despres may have moved his head into it, but it didn’t look that way to me.

• tfaltin - Apr 24, 2013 at 12:35 PM

It was just a matter of time until Pittsburgh fans made it about them. I don’t blame you though, you’re all just Root Sports pawns that have been severely brainwashed over the last handful of years.

7. cameltoews - Apr 24, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I like Dustin Brown. I think he is a good hard-nosed player, but despite bracing for the hit or whatever his intentions were his primary contact was the head. We have to get the players to start thinking a little more of where there elbows and shoulders are before delivering or bracing for a hit. To do this, the NHL has to start handing suspensions out. I originally defended Del Zotto on the Neal situation bc he wasn’t even facing him but now I think I go back on that. I don’t care if a player had no intentions to hit the head of another it just has to stop. To many players are missing games due to these types of hits and our sport is hurting because of it. Players have to be in control of their bodies at all times. They are professional athletes for crying out loud and should be great at this. The only way to get them to understand this has to stop is to start dolling out the punishment. No hits to the head will be tolerated no matter what the circumstances.

• hockeywithdrawal - Apr 24, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I agree – you’re responsible for your stick, why are these guys not responsible for their elbows? As of now, as long as it looks like an accident, you’re in the clear. I think they need to be held responsible regardless.

8. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM

That’s bad. Not even close to being a hockey play. It would seem like a definitie suspension but we all know there’s no such thing in this league…….

9. beelza - Apr 24, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Captain of the reigning stanley cup champs is a coward. Were I the coach, I call the minor league team affiliate and have them send me the biggest and toughest guy they have. I tell said goon, here’s your chance. Now go blast Brown’s head, I said blast. Brown loses, what three games, max ?
    Pom is done for the year, hypothetically, or even done for series. Top player gone for the season, hypothetically, and Brown gets five games. Joke. Bring the goon up.

10. btlpper68 - Apr 24, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Can’t wait to hear what milbury has to say

• kitshky - Apr 24, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Can’t wait till no one cares what Milbury has to say…

11. surfandpolo - Apr 24, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Are you kidding? This is the National Hockey League, not tennis. Pominville skates into Brown, lowers his head, leans in, and clearly doesn’t expect Brown to brace for a hit, with his left arm and shoulder, the way a good player should. It was a reckless play by Pominville, he needs to be in control of his body. It was very much a hockey play, just one made by a player that plays hard on a soft player that was being foolish. Welcome to the West Jason Pominville, obviously the minor league that is the Eastern Conference didn’t prepare you well for big boy hockey.

• rolstoncansnipe12 - Apr 24, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Did you even watch the play? Brown skates away from the puck to deliver an elbow to Prominville’s face. If he would have just skated with the puck down ice he wouldn’t have been in position to get hit in the first place. You gotta be blind not to see that.

• surfandpolo - Apr 24, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I’m commenting on a play because you think I did not see the play? Yes, I saw the play. How can you skate without moving your feet, or while you are stopping? Brown’s feet were planted, as he stops up to deliver the cold shoulder, and he loses the puck at that time. At no time does Brown ever skate away from the puck. Anyhow, it’s a phone hearing, multi-game suspensions are done in person.

• rolstoncansnipe12 - Apr 24, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Why is he stopping to hit someone who doesn’t have the puck anyways? And yes, he does skate away from the puck (and loses the puck doing it) to elbow him in the face.

• mp1131211 - Apr 24, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Lowers his head? I see Pomenville’s head up THE WHOLE TIME. Look again. You’re wrong.

• prideonice - Apr 25, 2013 at 4:24 PM

You’re right, it wouldn’t make sense for you to comment on a play you haven’t seen….it’s just that your comment is so asinine, it made us all wonder if you really had.

12. mgm8419 - Apr 24, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Kings are the #2 seed, and the Wild are the #7. Does that make for an interesting first round series

• profsudz - Apr 24, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I’d check the standings if I were you.

13. purpleguy - Apr 24, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Anyone that doesn’t recognize and/or see Brown both lead with his elbow and lean with that elbow into Pomenville’s head (who was going for the puck not the body by the way), clearly is viewing the video through either pot-filled or Kings-colored glasses. In the end, Brown gets a piddly two games or so off, while Pomenville likely is off for an extended time and faces a life-long cummulative effects from the injury.

14. blomfeld - Apr 24, 2013 at 11:32 AM

THEN GORDIE HOWE WAS A TERRORIST !

It’s funny how all these people here are making a big deal out of Brown’s elbow last night which was something Mister Hockey himself used to do on a “nightly” basis for decades. The irony of it all eh ?… or should we say the “gaiety” of it all ? You people crying foul here are likely the same people who think it’s funny when some filthy swine like Cooke lacerates people’s legs with his skates, or when a retard like Chara sends someone flying headfirst into a steel dasher post. What Brown did yesterday was a pure “old-fashioned” hockey play, nothing more and nothing less. And so I say he only gets a “verbal” warning from the fruitcake Shanny …

GO KINGS GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• hawkeedawg - Apr 24, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Keep living the Fairy Tale Blomfeld, You are delusional. Kings are going nowhere and Brown is going down!!!!

• getadealdonealready - Apr 24, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Couldn’t disagree more, I think what most fans want is consistency across games/calls. The league needs to figure out what it wants to be a sideshow goon fest, or something they can sell to the masses, with talented fast high flying offense. I’ll be a fan either way, but need to see some rhyme or reason to the calls/suspensions moving forward.

• credible316 - Apr 24, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Cut him some slack guys, he’s only been a hockey/Kings fan for just under a year now.

• elvispocomo - Apr 24, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Hahaha!

15. aventador12 - Apr 24, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Like the fact that mgm8419 is oblivious to how and what the standings look like at this point. Wake-up bud.

16. 2qswing - Apr 24, 2013 at 12:05 PM

As a Jackets fan, can you at least let him play tonight vs Detroit? just askin

17. beelza - Apr 24, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Congratulations to the San Jose Sharks in winning home ice advantage. Detroit beats LAK tonight.

18. txhockeydad - Apr 24, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I care about the image of hockey. I love our sport, and the tough guys who play it. When I see a play like this, I think WWE, not professional sports. I think about youth players, and how I would feel if that hit was leveled on my kid. Until the NHL delivers a real suspension (25 games) or a lifetime ban, this will continue. I would like these cowards to be accountable to their teams and coaches for their decisions. It won’t happen, but if Brown was suspended for 25 games, including the playoffs, it would never happen again. The solution makes too much sense to ever be instituted, though. I was a fan of Brown’s until I saw the hit. Now, I place him in the same category as Torres and Bertuzzi. Loser.

• woodstakes - Apr 24, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I agree with you whole heartedly!! Among my fellow hockey friends/team mates/hockey fans I’ve said time and time again IF the NHL wanted to end this crap it would be VERY VERY easy!! Firstly, make suspensions actually hurt… 2 games.. 2 GAMES.. oh boy he misses out on 2 pay days when he’s making multi-million dollars a year.. big deal!

Secondly, IF you have a suspendable offense and the player in which you hit is injured you are suspended without pay until either the player comes back to play or retires due to the injury and if it is the latter you then face a hearing on the level of extended suspension you will face up to and including a lifetime ban. Now I know what many of you are going to say.. lets say in this instance it is Dustin Brown a captain and valuable player on the Kings and the other player is some last minute call up who is just filling in (instead of major part of the Wild lineup like Pominville is) what is to stop the Wild from keeping this guy on IR indefinately in order to hurt the Kings… well, WHO CARES..Don’t make that hit and you don’t have to worry about it!! Period!

IF the NHL did this you would see these plays on a few occasions a year rather than the 1-5 we see a week right now. If you make the consequences hurt the players will adjust just like they have to the multitude of rule changes throughout the long history of hockey.

19. earpaniac - Apr 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I actually thought the Roussell hit was worse.

20. sjsharksfan11 - Apr 24, 2013 at 2:42 PM