Apr 24, 2013, 9:25 AM EDT
While it’s true that Matt Duchene struggled last season, it was still surprising to see the Colorado Avalanche sign him to a relatively cheap two-year, $7 million contract in the summer of 2012. After a resurgence in 2013, the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater is calling for the team to ink him to another contract extension this summer.
Beyond keeping their best player from 2013 (along with P.A. Parenteau) in the fold, Dater argues that it clarifies where Duchene stands among teammates such as Ryan O’Reilly.
By giving Duchene a rich new extension (I’m thinking five years, $30 million to $35 million sounds about right), they’ll make him the top dog on the pay scale again and keep a top young talent locked up for a good while. Because, as we saw with O’Reilly, you never know when things can get sideways at the negotiating table. Better to keep that possibility at arm’s length for as long as fiscally, sensibly possible. Besides, what if Duchene has a monster year next season on the final year of his contract? Maybe that $35 million will look cheap by then.
Dater believes the Avalanche will indeed get something done this summer (they can do so as early as June 22, the anniversary of his last deal).
Before you scoff at handing Duchene, 22, note the disparity between the young star’s numbers – alongside Parenteau’s – and Colorado’s next highest scorers:
Even when you consider O’Reilly’s holdout and Stastny’s minor injury issues, that’s a stark difference. Some might say that’s enough evidence to get something done as soon as possible.
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 0
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 10
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 13
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 117
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 64
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (116)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)