Apr 24, 2013, 1:12 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks goaltending soap opera has another potential chapter. Less than a week before the playoffs are set to begin, the club announced today that starter Cory Schneider is day-to-day with an undisclosed injury and that goalie Joe Cannata has been recalled from AHL Chicago.
Not surprisingly, no injury specifics were shared.
On Monday, Schneider stopped 24 of 25 Chicago shots in a 3-1 victory over the Blackhawks that lent hockey fans in Vancouver renewed optimism about the team’s chances in the postseason.
Roberto Luongo will presumably get the nod Thursday when the Canucks host Anaheim. Vancouver closes its regular season Saturday in Edmonton. Both games are meaningless so far as the standings are concerned.
Schneider has been brilliant in March and April as Luongo has been relegated to the bench for the majority of games.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 4
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)