Apr 24, 2013, 1:12 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks goaltending soap opera has another potential chapter. Less than a week before the playoffs are set to begin, the club announced today that starter Cory Schneider is day-to-day with an undisclosed injury and that goalie Joe Cannata has been recalled from AHL Chicago.
Not surprisingly, no injury specifics were shared.
On Monday, Schneider stopped 24 of 25 Chicago shots in a 3-1 victory over the Blackhawks that lent hockey fans in Vancouver renewed optimism about the team’s chances in the postseason.
Roberto Luongo will presumably get the nod Thursday when the Canucks host Anaheim. Vancouver closes its regular season Saturday in Edmonton. Both games are meaningless so far as the standings are concerned.
Schneider has been brilliant in March and April as Luongo has been relegated to the bench for the majority of games.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 3
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 23
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)