Apr 24, 2013, 1:12 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks goaltending soap opera has another potential chapter. Less than a week before the playoffs are set to begin, the club announced today that starter Cory Schneider is day-to-day with an undisclosed injury and that goalie Joe Cannata has been recalled from AHL Chicago.
Not surprisingly, no injury specifics were shared.
On Monday, Schneider stopped 24 of 25 Chicago shots in a 3-1 victory over the Blackhawks that lent hockey fans in Vancouver renewed optimism about the team’s chances in the postseason.
Roberto Luongo will presumably get the nod Thursday when the Canucks host Anaheim. Vancouver closes its regular season Saturday in Edmonton. Both games are meaningless so far as the standings are concerned.
Schneider has been brilliant in March and April as Luongo has been relegated to the bench for the majority of games.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22