Apr 24, 2013, 1:12 PM EST
The Vancouver Canucks goaltending soap opera has another potential chapter. Less than a week before the playoffs are set to begin, the club announced today that starter Cory Schneider is day-to-day with an undisclosed injury and that goalie Joe Cannata has been recalled from AHL Chicago.
Not surprisingly, no injury specifics were shared.
On Monday, Schneider stopped 24 of 25 Chicago shots in a 3-1 victory over the Blackhawks that lent hockey fans in Vancouver renewed optimism about the team’s chances in the postseason.
Roberto Luongo will presumably get the nod Thursday when the Canucks host Anaheim. Vancouver closes its regular season Saturday in Edmonton. Both games are meaningless so far as the standings are concerned.
Schneider has been brilliant in March and April as Luongo has been relegated to the bench for the majority of games.
AV said he's hopeful Schneider will be ready for playoffs. "He's got an injury we're not willing to disclose."—
Iain MacIntyre (@imacVanSun) April 24, 2013
Could Schneider play if this was the a playoff game? AV: I don't think so—
Jason Botchford (@botchford) April 24, 2013
AV: "Cory has a body injury that's day to day. It happened last game. We're hoping he'll be ready for playoffs."—
Vancouver Canucks (@VanCanucks) April 24, 2013
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 25
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 2
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 86
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 81
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (81)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)