Apr 24, 2013, 5:44 PM EST
For all the regular-season games the St. Louis Blues have won in the last two years, and for all the Western Conference clubs that would prefer to play some other team in the playoffs, the Blues are still a franchise with one — count it, one — postseason series victory in the last decade.
St. Louis captain David Backes knows his team still has a lot to prove.
“We can’t rest like we’ve accomplished something,” Backes said, per the Post-Dispatch. “We tried that five years ago in Vancouver and we got to go home pretty quick that year. I think last year we thought we had accomplished something after winning one series and the same thing happened. So lessons have been learned and we’ll use those to hopefully push us further and further in the playoffs.”
The Blues have had a rather tumultuous season. They’ve had a six-game winning streak; they’ve had a five-game losing skid. Their goaltending has been great during stretches; it’s been awful during others. Earlier in the season, the offense was rolling; lately, it’s sputtered.
Will it all come together for the playoffs?
First things first — St. Louis is still battling for seeding. The Blues have two games left, both at home, versus Calgary tomorrow and Chicago Saturday. At best, they can finish fourth in the conference. At worst, seventh.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 0
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 45
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 71
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (72)