Apr 24, 2013, 5:44 PM EDT
For all the regular-season games the St. Louis Blues have won in the last two years, and for all the Western Conference clubs that would prefer to play some other team in the playoffs, the Blues are still a franchise with one — count it, one — postseason series victory in the last decade.
St. Louis captain David Backes knows his team still has a lot to prove.
“We can’t rest like we’ve accomplished something,” Backes said, per the Post-Dispatch. “We tried that five years ago in Vancouver and we got to go home pretty quick that year. I think last year we thought we had accomplished something after winning one series and the same thing happened. So lessons have been learned and we’ll use those to hopefully push us further and further in the playoffs.”
The Blues have had a rather tumultuous season. They’ve had a six-game winning streak; they’ve had a five-game losing skid. Their goaltending has been great during stretches; it’s been awful during others. Earlier in the season, the offense was rolling; lately, it’s sputtered.
Will it all come together for the playoffs?
First things first — St. Louis is still battling for seeding. The Blues have two games left, both at home, versus Calgary tomorrow and Chicago Saturday. At best, they can finish fourth in the conference. At worst, seventh.
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 13
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 3
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 96
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (96)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)